Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
17:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 17:48 Exeter St Davids to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 18:07:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[303] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[71] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[69] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[69] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[65] Okehampton
[51] First tour train of season

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: ...and the GB Power Generation Capability Goes Downhill AgaIn  (Read 12886 times)
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 19:40:48 »

Interestingly, see http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/index.php, Wind power has contributed 14-16% of UK (United Kingdom) power, see

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2015, 20:16:38 »

Interestingly, see http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/index.php, Wind power has contributed 14-16% of UK (United Kingdom) power, see

One swallow does not make a summer. Today, with low demand and our first named storm Abigail blowing a hoolie, has seen 16% of our rather low demand of 36.8GW provided by wind. Look again throughout the week,as demand increases and the storm begins to abate. You will see nuclear and coal remain pretty much constant, with CCGT (Combined Cycle Gas Turbine) increasing.

Now, please!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 10:01:04 »

we're an island surrounded by water that is continually on the move....can't we harness that?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 11:26:15 »

I suspect, as with most things, it could be done.  But it would cost an enormous amount.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 11:31:51 »

More than nuclear?
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 13:27:43 »

we're an island surrounded by water that is continually on the move....can't we harness that?
As I posted earlier, somebody was/is going to try. Didn't see any mention of the kinked cable in that article, maybe that was just a rumor.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 13:33:46 »

I believe the government has backed a plan for 7-8 tidal lagoons to be managed to generate power and control flooding.

See http://www.tidallagoonpower.com/.

The Swansea bay scheme I believe has funding and if all 7/8 schemes are given go-ahead this should meet 10% of our power needs, and as a bonus, provide improved protection for many areas, ie Somerset Levels, from uncontrolled flooding.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 16:09:58 »

I believe the government has backed a plan for 7-8 tidal lagoons to be managed to generate power and control flooding.

See http://www.tidallagoonpower.com/.

The Swansea bay scheme I believe has funding and if all 7/8 schemes are given go-ahead this should meet 10% of our power needs, and as a bonus, provide improved protection for many areas, ie Somerset Levels, from uncontrolled flooding.

Done right, this could be a real game-changer. Done wrong, it could an economic and ecological disaster. The Swansea Bay scheme should be a proof-of-concept option. It's never going to give free power because of maintenance - removing silt and the like - but an honest audit should tell us whether it is wworth going for on a national scale.

Now, please!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 10:08:00 »

Oh well, it is the begining of the end: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34851718

The UK (United Kingdom)'s remaining coal-fired power stations will be shut by 2025 with their use restricted by 2023, Energy Secretary Amber Rudd has announced.

Ms Rudd wants more gas-fired stations to be built since relying on "polluting" coal is "perverse".  "We need to give a clear signal to people who are in the market for building gas stations that coal will no longer crowd out new gas."

Environmentalists are concerned little is being done to promote renewables.

'Energy crisis'
Currently, coal provides almost a third (28%) of the UK's electricity, but Ms Rudd said "We are tackling a legacy of underinvestment and ageing power stations which we need to replace with alternatives that are reliable, good value for money and help to reduce emissions."

Ms Rudd also said investment in nuclear power is vital to the government's policy.  She believes that plans for new nuclear power stations, including at Wylfa in Wales and Moorside in Cumbria, could provide almost a third of the low carbon electricity the UK needs for the next 15 years.

The speech comes amid concerns that the UK could suffer from blackouts as a result of short supplies, brought about in large part from the closure of a number of power stations that have come to the end of their working lives.

Tony Lodge, who has published a report from the Centre for Policy Studies, said Britain is on the verge of an "energy crisis" with electricity demand set to outstrip available supply in the near future.  "We have called for an independent person separate from government to give a lead on security of supply. If we don't have that we could be in real trouble in 18 months."

However, National Grid and many experts have dismissed these concerns.

That last line really worries me. Reminds me too much of the statements that Network Rail kept making that it could deliver the world if asked, and look where that has got us.......
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:21:35 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 10:48:23 »

Oh well, it is the begining of the end: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34851718

[
That last line really worries me. Reminds me too much of the statements that Network Rail kept making that it could deliver the world if asked, and look where that has got us.......

That is the problem with our current crop of politicos.  They are all lawyers and accountants and managers by background.  They think that to make something happen you just need to agree on a price (and a brand identity) and then "the market" or "the experts" will take care of it.  Amber Rudd (who I actually regard as a reasonably good egg in many ways and who has a cameo in Four Weddings and a Funeral) has a history degree and experience in journalism.  It is not her lack of specific engineering knowledge that bothers me.  If it was simply information she lacks that is not a problem because she can simply ask an expert.  The thing that worries me is that she swims in a milieu of politicians, journalists and civil servants who collectively have no experience of solving real and difficult problems as opposed presentational or organisational problems.

Their approach to energy generation is to set the rules and then assume that the market will deliver.  Well it might and it probably will on good days, but it is one hell of a risk to be taking with something so important.
(and I speak as a lawyer (of sorts) but one that works with scientists and engineers)
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 11:42:47 »

Ms Rudd also said investment in nuclear power is vital to the government's policy.  She believes that plans for new nuclear power stations, including at Wylfa in Wales and Moorside in Cumbria, could provide almost a third of the low carbon electricity the UK (United Kingdom) needs for the next 15 years.
There must be some mistake surely. How can new power stations which will probably take the best part of 15 years to build provide a 3rd of our low-carbon electricity in the same time frame?

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 11:46:35 »

Poor journalism, I reckon
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 11:50:41 »

Its worse than that - I doubt whether plans for power stations will generate much electricity at all - just lots of words and other data.
Western Enterprise

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 14:17:45 »

Aren't there plans for a new gas fired station at the moment, but its held up by lack of funding?
No one wants to invest in plant that may not be economic, so nothing gets built.
Meanwhile, existing Gen capacity gets shut down.
It then become economic to build, but takes 5 years plus to do so ?

Am I mad ? Huh
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: