17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
10:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
12:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
10:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
11:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
12:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 12:29:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[317] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[88] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[56] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[32] Where have I been?
[31] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[26] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Reservations Enquiry  (Read 21606 times)
NickB

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2015, 14:36:23 »

Afternoon,

Given that First Class is, at GWR (Great Western Railway)'s recommendation, increasingly full of seat reservations I was wondering whether someone could provide more colour on how the reservations process works and also whether reservations are permitted in Standard with an annual seasonticket?

To cut a long story short it is coming up to renewal time and the ^800 premium for First Eastbound (that I've coughed for for 5yrs) doesn't seem such good value any more.

If I dropped back to a Standard ticket then can I make reservations to get a seat, and in your experience does this actually work? 

Thanks
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 14:47:57 »

You certainly could under FGW (First Great Western) (13 weeks at a time, I believe, 1 train each way per day)

Whether you still can, you'd need to ask GWR (Great Western Railway) customer services - or tweet @GWRHelp
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 19:14:55 »

I've emailed GWR (Great Western Railway) to find out the technicalities.
Any personal experiences would be most useful.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 07:25:55 »

For bulk reservations can email forward@firstgroup.com - just let them know the trains you get and the details of the season ticket (photo card and such)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 08:58:07 »

Thanks Ollie - that method is still working, good to hear.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 22:41:57 »

Thanks Ollie.
I guess I've got some decisions to take before 31st December. I bought the upgrade to guarantee a seat, but First Class now has worse provision than Standard and papers/refreshments don't even appear on some HST (High Speed Train)'s. That ^800 upgrade just doesn't seem worth it anymore.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 18:18:33 »

I received the 'official' reply from GWR (Great Western Railway) which confirmed that I can make reservations for standard class travel as a season ticket holder.
So I think that has clinched it - after 5 years of first class (ha!) travel i'love be downgrading and saving ^800 per year.
Shame really but GWR doesn't actually run a First Class service in the Thames valley anymore.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 10:47:54 »

I guess the real test of doing that is if you can actually get to your reserved seat (depending on overcrowding) and if you can if you are then able to "convince" the person sat there already that it's your seat and not theirs  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 21:00:59 »

So it's finally happened - we've hit peak ticket. No seats nor reservations for the next month. So frustratingly obvious that this would happen but GWR (Great Western Railway) would rather stick it's head in the sand and ignore the problems.

"Thank you for your recent email regarding seat reservations for your
journeys between Maidenhead to London Paddington.

Unfortunately there are no seats available in first class for the 07:08
service between 10-05-2016 to 26-05-2016."

Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 21:28:11 »

Yet a random selection of dates during that period for an Anytime Single for the same train, but from Reading, gives you the option of a seat reservation.

So it appears there are spare seats, but GWR (Great Western Railway) are barring reservations for them for Season Ticket holders from Maidenhead.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 21:34:28 »

I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or more victimised.

Any ideas on how I can get a reservation, which is after all what gwr have forced us to do?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 22:14:13 »

I would reply to that email with the details BNM has provided you with and ask them for a good reason why there aren't.  Advance tickets aren't available on that train (surely?), so there's no reason why the entire allocation shouldn't be reserved regardless of journey.

There, from my observations, usually seems to be under half of the first class accommodation reserved on that train, so clearly some way to go until there are no seats left.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 23:42:06 »

Thanks - I have challenged gwr's statement and I'll see what I get in reply.

I've explored the day-ticket reservations options and it seems to me that the service in question has plenty of seats from reading to Paddington but no seats from Maidenhead to Paddington. The only conclusion that I can draw from this is that the system is only allowing a certain number of reservations from Maidenhead in order to allow more passengers 'upstream' to get a seat without reservations.

I am royally sick of the games GWR (Great Western Railway) are playing with their season ticket customers. I'm playing their game but they won't throw straight dice.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 07:31:51 »

Yep.

Moving the goalposts frequently, and now it seems they have taken the goalposts away completely.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 11:35:25 »

I can understand why there's a quota. From GWR (Great Western Railway)'s point of view, uprooting passengers who boarded the train further back (such as - purely for example on that service - those from, ahem, Charlbury) would risk driving away lucrative longer-distance passengers in favour of short-distance ones. I also suspect the resulting arguments would not be something the on-train staff would want to mediate!

But that isn't, of course, to say that the quota is currently set at the right level, or that there are enough seats available in general. I suspect the latter is the real issue, and hopefully the eventual advent of the 387s, 365s, Crossrail etc. will go a long way to relieving overcrowding in the Thames Valley.

FWIW (for what it's worth), my (entirely personal) opinion is that seat reservations shouldn't be available at all on with-flow peak services, and if they are, they should be reserved for those paying the full Anytime fare - i.e. not season ticket holders, who already enjoy a 30%+ discount on the standard fare. But I realise that might not be popular in this thread. Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: