No 'On This Day' events reported for 23rd Apr

Train RunningShort Run
24/04/24 00:31 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 23:55:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Emergency! Trains vs Weather - television programme  (Read 4333 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: November 18, 2015, 14:41:16 »

Programme on ITV next Wednesday 24th November, 2000 - 2100.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week48/emergency-trains-vs-weather

Emergency! Trains v Weather

What does it take to keep Britain^s railway services running through some of the worst winter weather on record ? This documentary follows the army of engineers and maintenance teams as they battle against the elements to keep the rail network open and prevent the delays which cause misery to millions of passengers every winter.

Using the latest technology and sheer old fashioned graft we see them tackling floods, hurricane force winds and tracks buried under 6 feet of snow not to mention the annual blight of leaves on the line.

With millions depending on the trains every day the maintenance teams are the unsung heroes of the rail network battling to keep the trains running whatever the British weather throws at them.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 20:53:14 »

Because Mrs BB has a habit of recording two programs at once I was having a look around for something to watch and came across this program on ITV Hub (as I believe their catch up service is called on Sky)

I found it very interesting but in one of the segments which was shot in Scotland the engineers *appeared* to be cutting down trees that may not have have been on railway land. This is an assumption on my part and may not be correct but are there circumstances under which the NR» (Network Rail - home page) team are allowed to remove trees etc where the roots are not on their land?
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 22:58:17 »

I agree it was an interesting watch and even though it is impossible to miss out the ads on catch-up, it would be worth looking this up to catch a glimpse of the positivity of our rail workers even under great adversity. The juxtaposition of what was happening out on the line with the 'twittering' being sent around was most enlightening. The smiling young lady in receipt of 'wind-up' messages showed that she was just the right person to do the job.

Not being on any social media, I noted for myself that sending lots of insistent messages does not make the trains run through water or prevent leaves falling.  I also re-learned that lack of clarity in communication is the thing that frustrates passengers the most.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 07:03:29 »

I agree it was an interesting watch and even though it is impossible to miss out the ads on catch-up, it would be worth looking this up to catch a glimpse of the positivity of our rail workers even under great adversity. The juxtaposition of what was happening out on the line with the 'twittering' being sent around was most enlightening. The smiling young lady in receipt of 'wind-up' messages showed that she was just the right person to do the job.

Not being on any social media, I noted for myself that sending lots of insistent messages does not make the trains run through water or prevent leaves falling.  I also re-learned that lack of clarity in communication is the thing that frustrates passengers the most.

I agree with you 100% Trainer. Sadly I haven't seen the rest of it as my daughter insisted on watching a programme about ex-celebrities trying to revive their careers by going into a jungle and eating animal body parts Smiley
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 07:59:38 »

Passengers get fustrated when they can't see what's causing them to be delayed and no one tells them anything. Social media, particularly Twitter, has helped to improve communication with passengers at times of disruption. Network Rail have latched onto this when severe weather has caused disruption by posting up pictures of trees down, flooded lines, snow drifts etc which then get posted by the affected TOCs (Train Operating Company).

When it comes to a fatality, no pictures or explanations are needed as everyone (well most) accepts the tragic nature of the situation with the line reopening as and when Network Rail are able to do so.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 09:48:47 »

Because Mrs BB has a habit of recording two programs at once I was having a look around for something to watch and came across this program on ITV Hub (as I believe their catch up service is called on Sky)

I found it very interesting but in one of the segments which was shot in Scotland the engineers *appeared* to be cutting down trees that may not have have been on railway land. This is an assumption on my part and may not be correct but are there circumstances under which the NR» (Network Rail - home page) team are allowed to remove trees etc where the roots are not on their land?

I don't know if NR have any special powers (legal that is, not superpowers), but my understanding of English law is that you were legally allowed to cut branches overhanging your land (ie cut them back to the boundary line, not cut the whole tree down).  You are then supposed to offer the cut wood back to the neighbour otherwise your actions might be construed as theft.  I don't know if slinging the branches back over the fence is enough.

NB, this is not legal advice - I am not that kind of lawyer.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 10:56:31 »

The Scotrail service that got stranded demonstrated perfectly that trains are not amphibious!

As well as providing passengers with a medium to vent (it's not going to make the obstruction instantly disappear), it does allow the TOC (Train Operating Company) (SWT (South West Trains) in this case) to push information out of course. Personally I find journeycheck more concise.

Immediate refunds are something which would reduce the crowds at times of disruption. If I purchase a walk up ticket on the day from the ticket office then the job gets stopped, I hand it back for a refund and find an alternative mode of transport/go home/anything apart from hanging around waiting. If I hold a season ticket for the service, I am going to be more persistent because the cash is not going to be forthcoming. Put staff on the station exits processing refunds upon production of your season and appropriate bank card and the crowd/pressure would reduce.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 15:42:41 »

So apparently a Class 37 puts out 17,000 horsepower. No wonder they make good snowploughs; but couldn't they just tow Scotland to sunnier climes?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: