Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:51:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Information system - Rome to Rio  (Read 8705 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 21, 2015, 10:22:18 »

Come across this a couple of times in recent weeks ... posting under "Smoke and Mirrors" because I don't know much about it, and I question the accuracy of the information provided and indeed (on other tests made, rather than on this sample) of the practicality of its suggestions. 

http://www.rome2rio.com/about

Rome2rio, based in Melbourne, Australia, is organising the world's transport information. We offer a multi-modal, door-to-door travel search engine that returns itineraries for air, train, coach, ferry, mass transit and driving options to and from any location. All in one place.

and

Users of Rome2rio don't need to search multiple websites to research and compare their travel options ...

Yeah, right!   Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 11:11:08 »

I'd query those train fares too.  It is cheaper NOT to split at Swindon for a start!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 12:00:03 »

Interesting that driving is so much quicker & cheaper.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 15:56:44 »

I don't think anyone would find it surprising that there are many journeys that are much quicker and cheaper in the car than by rail.  Melksham to Kemble via road is virtually a straight line via the A350 and A429, whereas by rail you have to do a pretty severe dogleg via Swindon.  That was the case even before Beeching came along.

Though the 32 minute road journey was estimated to take 43 minutes when I just checked on Google Earth, so is always vulnerable to the vagaries of traffic, especially given the vast majority is on single carriageway roads with plenty of roundabouts to negotiate.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 17:46:45 »

A quick check on t'interweb gives 41 minutes / ^11-^12 (using running costs from the AA) by car against a possible 50 minutes / ^12.90 by train at certain times of the day. Pretty marginal really.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 18:57:14 »

A quick check on t'interweb gives 41 minutes / ^11-^12 (using running costs from the AA) by car against a possible 50 minutes / ^12.90 by train at certain times of the day. Pretty marginal really.

The AA's figures always include fixed (per-year) costs, but this site's ones look like they don't. If you want the A vs B cost difference that applies to the choice of mode, then only the variable (per-mile) costs are relevant.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 06:44:36 »

There is, I'm afraid, so much I would query in this example that I didn't know where to start - just put the example up.

However ... you folks have started for me  Grin so I can carry on ...
a) Frequency of services - wrong
b) Implication of ticket split being need on pricing - wrong
c) Overall journey time - wrong (well - not allowing for changes / waits)
d) Are there really 25 places to stay ("Accommodations") in Kemble?
e) Drive cost looks very low
f) Taxi cost looks rather high
g) Bus routing rather interesting ... and again I think connection time missed
h) All pricing for single journeys only?
i) Drive times - you just might manage 32 minutes in an emergency in the middle of the night. Peak I would allow an hour.

Train time IS accurate for twice-daily each way through services; pricing RETURN is ^18.60 or ^13.00 off peak.  Average journey time (each way) is around 75 minutes taking services offered by online booking / timetable engines.

We do have passengers who regularly commute Melksham to Kemble - although it's a dog-leg, it's not really silly if the services connect. And the through service that goes on to Cheltenham Spa is hugely useful for the Midlands and North. Indeed one of the TransWilts' looked at cases was (past tense) linking at Swindon so that the 2-hourly Cheltenham to Swindon unit would carry on south via Westbury, using up much of its wait time at Swindon and providing a good route to the north from Chippenham, Melksham, and (in one scenario) Frome, Yeovil, Dorchester and Weymouth. (Trowbridge and Westbury too, but that would have abstracted 'via Bristol' traffic)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 08:53:37 »

The driving cost looks petrol price only- 24 miles melksham to Kemble. Gallon of fuel is around ^5-6 I think these days. My car does 25mpg roughly so the car cost shown is certainly petrol only in my case at least.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Kate_Rome2rio

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 05:01:25 »

Hi everyone,

Friendly Rome2rio representative here.

Thanks for all the feedback and input! If you ever find something on Rome2rio that's not quite accurate we encourage you to let us know! You can send any comments to: feedback@rome2rio.com

The team here have seen all your comments and we are now looking into correcting these problems, primarily the frequency estimates, definitely something going wrong there.

We actually get our data for UK (United Kingdom) train routes from Network Rail and then we do some calculations on our end to try and get an idea of the frequency.

Hopefully we'll be able to make improvements on all of the above points you have made.

As I said above should you find any further problems please let us know so we can look into them.

Thanks again,

Kate
Rome2rio, Content Manager.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 07:35:01 »

Welcome to the forum, Kate ... thanks for taking this on board. 

As sampled the other day, I fear the data temps people to use the services as a "turn up and travel" one, on the understanding that it's frequent ... only to face a wait of up to 2 hours for a 9 minute journey.  The figure you're quoting looks more like the minimum interval between services - happens just once a day, and not necessarily at peak times (most frequent service on Swindon - Kemble is mid-evening) - please let us know once you've fixed it or removed the erroneous data.

Good to read that you're taking the Network Rail data feed - with algorithms sorted that should help keep you up to date with any changes.    And - hopefully in just a few years time - those frequencies you've suggested may become more of a reality and once again shown on your site  Grin

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: