Delayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 01:24:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Old railway buildings for re-use as holiday homes  (Read 9358 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 23, 2015, 21:18:52 »

It's been interesting to watch the Landmark Trust series on the TV recently - about the restoration as holiday homes of historic buildings.  I remember in my teens staying with my parents at Tixall Gatehouse - overlooking the Staffs and Worcseter canal at Tixall Wide near Stafford, stopping at Clytha Castle with them and my Grandmother, and a brief stop at Wortham Manor in Devon .. of missing out on the Danescombe Mine that was on TV as part of the show, and missing out to on Alton Station.

The Landmark Trust are now working on another bulding with a railway connection -

From the Daily Post

Worldwide demand for slate grew to the point where the horses couldn't get the empties back to the quarries quickly enough and in 1863 the railway became the first narrow gauge line in the world to introduce steam locomotives.

With the line^s adoption of this new technology, new staff were needed and Coed y Bleiddiau was built; its first occupant being Henry Hovenden and his large family.

Anna Keay, Director of the Landmark Trust said: "Coed y Bleiddiau has much in common with some of Landmark^s earliest projects: it is modest in scale but deeply special for its place in our history and landscape. This wonderful steam railway has been revived thanks to the heroic work of the Ffestiniog Railway.

[snip]

Since the death of Bob and Babs Johnson, the last tenants who lived at Coed y Bleiddiau from the 1950s, the building has fallen into disrepair.

"Landmark hopes to start the project in summer 2016 and needs to raise 400,000 pounds to breathe life once again into this neglected building.

"It would open for bookings of up to four guests some time in 2017, who will be able to flag an approaching train from its own tiny private platform," added Ms Keay.

The building has remained the property of the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railway Trust, with whom the Landmark Trust is partnering.

As with the slate for the newly and urgently restored roof, the materials and manpower will all be carried to and from the site by train.

I look with sadness at some railway buildings lost - such as have been mentioned on this forum with the last year - and I wonder if they just might have had a use as holiday homes.   And I can think of some station buildings still around which have or could fall into something of a state of decay which would make such an interesting holiday experience - and wonder if there's discussion to be had and ideas to put forward before it's once again too late.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 08:10:06 »

This got me thinking...and searching..so to help me ask my question i came across this example...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35833901.html

As far as I know the above property is not on the main rail network (I think it is on the North Yorks Moors Line) but are stations buildings ever sold which are on working main lines? I would love to see the estate agents description..

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 09:43:50 »

This got me thinking...............are stations buildings ever sold which are on working main lines? I would love to see the estate agents description..

Yes! Dawlish Warren signal box - not sure what its current use is though!  (photo by Adrian Copley (forestade) on photobucket)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 10:00:06 »

This got me thinking...............are stations buildings ever sold which are on working main lines? I would love to see the estate agents description..

Yes! Dawlish Warren signal box - not sure what its current use is though!  (photo by Adrian Copley (forestade) on photobucket)
Image snipped to reduce space..

Thanks PhilWakey

If I read this right the signal box is a listed building - is this the same signal box? (See ref 491370)

It doesn't look like it from the photo

http://www.teignbridge.gov.uk/media/pdf/5/p/Listed_Buildings_List_-_correct_-_Redesign.pdf

trainer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 10:04:27 »

This got me thinking...and searching..so to help me ask my question i came across this example...

As far as I know the above property is not on the main rail network (I think it is on the North Yorks Moors Line) but are stations buildings ever sold which are on working main lines? I would love to see the estate agents description..

This property IS on a working mainline railway, Glaisdale being a passing loop on the Esk Valley Line (Whitby-Middlesborough), but also passed by North York Moors steam trains on occasional forays out to Battersby.  It would have made a lovely purchase for a rail enthusiast who only likes to see a train now and again as a treat.  Smiley
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 10:08:06 »

This property IS on a working mainline railway, Glaisdale being a passing loop on the Esk Valley Line (Whitby-Middlesborough), but also passed by North York Moors steam trains on occasional forays out to Battersby.  It would have made a lovely purchase for a rail enthusiast who only likes to see a train now and again as a treat.  Smiley

Ah thank you for clarifying that trainer. Although I have an interest in trains I think that "the occasional train passing by" would be enough for me:)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 10:13:13 »

Thats not the original Dawlish Warren signalbox.  It's a new build replica now about 8-10 years old.  The orignal signalbox was on the other (Down) side of the line.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 10:14:46 »

Thats not the original Dawlish Warren signalbox.  It's a new build replica now about 8-10 years old.  The orignal signalbox was on the other (Down) side of the line.

Thanks S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) that makes sense.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 10:24:00 »

Thanks PhilWakey

If I read this right the signal box is a listed building - is this the same signal box? (See ref 491370)

It doesn't look like it from the photo

http://www.teignbridge.gov.uk/media/pdf/5/p/Listed_Buildings_List_-_correct_-_Redesign.pdf

No - the listed signal box is Dawlish, the one I referred to is at Dawlish Warren which (as has already been stated) is a new build on land occupied by an older station building.

There are many other instances of railway buildings on working major lines that have become surplus to requirement and sold off to private buyers - Pinhoe station master's house being another example (which couldn't be any closer to a busy working railway!!)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 11:00:27 »

Landmark Trust typically takes buildings of 'interest' that have / would otherwise fall into disrepair and be demolished.   Where there's a good other use, their resources are limited and the take the view that its best for them to spend on the difficult cases - so Pinhoe and many many MANY others are good news.    Looking into recent history, I was thinking of the old signal box at Dawlish itself, and the building at Avonmouth, and looking forward into the future (but not immediate future) there's a building or two that I wonder about - maybe not good as a residence, but perhaps ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 11:25:46 »

I think with those two examples, Dawlish and Avonmouth, the buildings were already in a state of disrepair sometime before they were finally demolished.

Dawlish signal box had had to be propped up on its landward side and one of the gable ends at Avonmouth had come away leaving a fist sized gap at the roof line.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:17:04 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 11:33:32 »

Here's 5 minute video from BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Railwatch (first broadcast in February '89) talking to the signalman of Glaisdale and signalwoman of Battersby as well as some background about the line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX01NnAQGfc
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 13:28:12 »

Googling the word 'railway' (or 'station', or whatever takes your fancy) on popular cottage rental websites throws up some interesting properties:

* Ebberston station, near Scarborough
* Aberystwyth Cliff Railway apartment
* Hornsea station
* and a 60-year old railway carriage in Dumfries & Galloway!

I'm sure there are many more. This was the search I used to find them...
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 13:29:10 »

The 'box at Dawlish was listed, but then delisted which allowed it to be demolished.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 14:08:42 »

On railway carriages ... in our own area, you have St Germans and Hayle - excellent reviews on Trip Advisor and one of my "MUST go"s.  Railholiday - The Old Luggage Van and The Travelling Post Office ...

The Landmark Trust are in many ways rather special in that they recover buildings that others would consider far too far gone.   Look back at the original article I quoted and you'll see a huge budget - perhaps (but I don't know) the cases I raised would have been within their scope.  However - no use crying over spilled milk - more celebrate the Festiniog example, and avoid any more potentially avoidable milk spills?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: