What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 09:44:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[109] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[82] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[46] Where have I been?
[45] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[38] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: A Fishy Tale  (Read 14798 times)
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 12:33:46 »

From Business Cornwall:

Live lobsters take the train

Live lobsters take to the train today, as the Great Western Railway (GWR (Great Western Railway)) teams up with local businesses to help transport Cornish produce to the capital^s best restaurants in less than half the time it takes by road.

Eh? Since when did it take 12 hours to drive from Penzance to London? In a traction engine perhaps?

Freightjourneyplanner.co.uk suggests 8 hrs 57 from Penzance to London, not allowing for traffic or rest breaks. The 12 hours might not be far out adding in traffic and breaks for a single driver.

9 hours to do 300 miles? It's never taken me that long - I'm by no means a speed merchant but I've normally done it in about 6 and a half with a stop at Taunton Deane in average traffic - once you get past Plymouth it's a straight line!

Ever done it in an HGV? The clue is in the quoted URL...freightjourneyplanner.co.uk
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 12:34:35 »

The AA suggests 5hrs 17 minutes for driving a car.  What vehicle would you use for live lobsters?

Lorry speed limits are 50 m.p.h. on single carriage way, 60 m.p.h. on dual - so the freight vehicle will take longer. (note - those speed limits both increased on 6th April 2015 by 10 m.p.h, and article figures quoted may use the older speeds.  Also note that vehicles sometimes have 56 m.p.h. speed limiters)

https://movingon.blog.gov.uk/reminder-hgv-speed-limit-changes-in-england-and-wales/

9 hours - average speed 33 m.p.h.
6.5 hours - average speed 46 m.p.h.
5.25 hours - average speed 57 m.p.h.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:53:31 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 18:31:17 »

Hey, maybe one day the railways could carry fresh vegetables, the mail and newspapers, too....

Indeed. It would be useful to brand such a service, but what name? I could only come up with 'Railfreight' and 'Speedlink'... anyone?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 18:41:37 »

If a truck driver is bouncing off the limiter. 5.45 hours by my calculation, straight driving, at 55mph the whole way.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 18:55:34 »

Indeed. It would be useful to brand such a service, but what name? I could only come up with 'Railfreight' and 'Speedlink'... anyone?

As it would probably link the major cities - at least at first - you could call it CityLink.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 22:35:15 »

If a truck driver is bouncing off the limiter. 5.45 hours by my calculation, straight driving, at 55mph the whole way.

Impossible. Roads through Cornwall won't permit that. Last 10 miles in London won't permit that. Tacho won't permit that.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 23:35:29 »

Impossible. Roads through Cornwall won't permit that. Last 10 miles in London won't permit that. Tacho won't permit that.

We all know impossible, depending on time of day it will take 3 1/2 to 4 hours for a truck to do Penzance to Exeter, I just used it as hypothetical. The only time my example would work is perhaps leaving Cornwall 9pm.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 09:53:17 »

The AA suggests 5hrs 17 minutes for driving a car.  What vehicle would you use for live lobsters?

I suspect there are probably quite a quantity already being trunked along the A38/A30/M5 corridor up to Billingsgate fish market. An HGV is by far the most efficient means (on the road) to do this.

9 hours - average speed 33 m.p.h.
6.5 hours - average speed 46 m.p.h.
5.25 hours - average speed 57 m.p.h.

Going by my own driving (I try to make the most of all speed limits), a large proportion of which is off-peak motorway driving, so 70+mph max and my long term average speed is around 55 mph as I recall, so I think a 30-35mph range as a long term average is sensible for an HGV limited to a maximum of 56-60mph, which supports Grahams suggested journey time above and that of a journey planner website set up specifically for the use of the road haulage industry. It's a bit ridiculous discussing anything other than real world journey times. A bit like saying an HST (High Speed Train) can travel the 305.25 miles from Penzance to London in 2.44 hours  Huh

Other advantage of road transport over HST's currently is the possible use of refrigerated vehicles, the ability to carry 20-30+ tonnes of freight in a single vehicle (class 43 limited to 1.5 tonnes as I recall) and the reduced requirement for trans-shipment.

In my opinion, this whole lobster shipping thing is just another silly PR (Public Relations) exercise by FGW (First Great Western)/GWR (Great Western Railway) and will never develop into a sustainable service, nor is it intended to.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 10:43:39 »

Other advantage of road transport over HST (High Speed Train)'s currently is the possible use of refrigerated vehicles
Maybe not HSTs, but refrigerated rail vehicles isn't a problem is it? Class 175s for example sometimes decide they are going to refrigerate their occupants.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 12:10:33 »

Other advantage of road transport over HST (High Speed Train)'s currently is the possible use of refrigerated vehicles
Maybe not HSTs, but refrigerated rail vehicles isn't a problem is it? Class 175s for example sometimes decide they are going to refrigerate their occupants.

Thinking about it, MK3 coaches also quite often chill their occupants to the bone!

But currently, no proper refrigerated freight vehicles exist on the railway for this sort of thing. I'm not sure if reefer containers can be carried by train, but containerised freight is a different matter entirely and not so suitable for perishable/live goods due the time spent with trans-shipment.

If FGW (First Great Western) were actually serious about this, then perhaps they could add a (refrigerated) wagon to the sleeper and make a proper go of it? One of the old Motorail coaches would seem ideal for this - last time I went past, there were still a handful gently decaying at Cardiff Canton.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 15:38:12 »

Back in the mid sixties we had new flow of perishable traffic from the South Coast to Goosetry in Cheshire. Namely Mushroom Spawn. it was put on selcted trains and collected at Victoria for Euston.

RE (Religious Education) refrigerated containers. New Zealand has two types of wagons this type of traffic.

UKR which are 5 wagon sets with a diesel generator in a Container in the middle to provide electrical power to allow 'active refrigeration' to cool the containers.

The second type  VRA and VRB use swap bodies which can be loaded onto a Flat wagon with a semi permanent diesel powered refrigeration unit. Which will provide refrigeration for the swap body.

Western Enterprise

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 15:42:59 »

Hey, maybe one day the railways could carry fresh vegetables, the mail and newspapers, too....

Cheesy - Heh, that's a good idea, may they could pick up other stuff along the way.
How about "Pick-up goods" for a name idea  Grin Grin
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2015, 17:13:06 »

New Zealand has two types of wagons this type of traffic

Go to any freight port (road, sea or rail) in NZ and you will see the containers (usually white Maersk ones) that have the refrigeration units bolted onto the end so that all that lamb can be kept refrigerated while it travels around the Country/World.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2015, 12:06:21 »

it was put on selcted trains and collected at Victoria for Euston.

Did it by any chance get moved from Victoria to Euston using one of these? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scammell_Scarab

The first picture on the page is of a particularly nicely patinated variant in BR (British Rail(ways)) livery from 1962  Smiley

Apologies for the slight thread drift...
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2015, 12:39:44 »

Longshore drift, even.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: