Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:22:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Closure of Poole level crossing proposed  (Read 16329 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 08, 2015, 22:05:27 »

From the Bournemouth Echo

SAFETY concerns over Poole's town centre's "problematic" railway crossing has led Network Rail to announce it intends to close the pedestrian route at a future date.

In a letter to Borough of Poole, responding to the town centre core strategy review, the company said: "Current misuse of the crossing (both deliberate and accidental) by either swinging or climbing on the barriers or people becoming trapped is posing a safety risk."

It pointed out that it became extremely busy which made it more difficult for the controller and crossing users.

"Due to the movement away from the local signaller in his small signal box and the placing of this crossing on a much larger panel at Basingstoke, signallers are finding it increasingly difficult to undertake their job effectively and safely."

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 22:56:17 »

So is that Network Rail admitting that they've compromised safety by moving the control of the crossing to a remote location?

And deflecting blame onto the users?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 23:18:09 »

So is that Network Rail admitting that they've compromised safety by moving the control of the crossing to a remote location?

And deflecting blame onto the users?

Glad I'm not the only one who read it like that.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 23:21:53 »

How local was the control previously?
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 23:35:39 »

Whilst the control wasn't previously right next to the crossing (I believe it was controlled from the box at the north end of Poole station), it does appear that control from Basingstoke is being compromised because of workload and the nature of the crossing.

I don't have an issue with the move to ROCs (Rail Operating Centre - a centralised location for railway signalling and train control operations for a specific route or region) per se, but I do think there are some level crossings that should retain local control.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 11:38:53 »

Well at the time of design NR» (Network Rail - home page) were warned......... Roll Eyes Tongue

Image (c)2015 SandTEngineer
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 13:25:10 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 13:16:02 »

It does read that way. If the crossing is closed, I hope a suitable footbridge or underpass will be provided.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 13:26:10 »

It does read that way. If the crossing is closed, I hope a suitable footbridge or underpass will be provided.

It has a footbridge already that you can just see in the bottom RH corner of the photograph in my post above....... Undecided

Note: For those that don't know the area the level crossing is located in the middle of Poole pedestrianised shopping centre.  The only road vehicles authorised to use it are emergency vehicles, council vehicles and delivery vehicles.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 13:40:44 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 17:29:31 »

If people, small minority I know, used the crossing properly and didn't abuse it then Network Rail wouldn't feel the need to close it.

There's only so much educating you can do before the decision has to be taken to close it.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 17:59:14 »

Question is, what was the misuse like when it was controlled more locally?

If misuse has worsened since control moved to Basingstoke then perhaps the blame is more on the side of Network Rail.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 18:12:11 »

If people, small minority I know, used the crossing properly and didn't abuse it then Network Rail wouldn't feel the need to close it.

There's only so much educating you can do before the decision has to be taken to close it.

Although if you apply that logic to the rest of the road network, every highway and byway in the country would be closed.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 21:38:21 »

I haven't been to Wokingham since the road layout around the crossing was remodelled, but I always thought that would also be a difficult set of barriers to control via CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision).
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 21:44:49 »

I haven't been to Wokingham since the road layout around the crossing was remodelled, but I always thought that would also be a difficult set of barriers to control via CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision).

With the recent road changes in the area it would probably be easier now with CCTV than it would have been, but that's not to say I'd encourage it Cheesy
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 07:49:27 »

Although if you apply that logic to the rest of the road network, every highway and byway in the country would be closed.
Indeed, but Network Rail are very sensitive towards level crossings and if they can close them they will as it lessons the risk of injury or death.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 08:45:39 »

With the recent road changes in the area it would probably be easier now with CCTV than it would have been, but that's not to say I'd encourage it Cheesy

As far as I know, re-signalling and transfer of control of the Wokingham station crossing to Basingstoke is still due in 2017. That might be CCTV or just radar - if that rather questionable arrangement is still being considered. I would hope that any decision will depend on observing how the new arrangement works.

The new traffic-light junction has improved the traffic conditions at the crossing - shorter queues, more free space around the barriers, more orderly traffic most of the time. However, it introduces a new kind of indiscipline: drivers ignoring the banned turns and even the no entry signs. This surprises other road users, of all kinds, so leads to near accidents (and potentially to accidents too) and abrupt evasive actions.

And of course there are the pedestrians, who are not subject to the new lights anyway.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:28:39 by stuving » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: