21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 18:57:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[313] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[78] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[34] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[32] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham
[6] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Birnbeck Pier, Weston super Mare  (Read 13098 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2014, 13:48:16 »

A scheduled open top bus was already running in Weston this past Wednesday. Again a Crosville service - number 100.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 19:46:23 »

Oh goodie, that'll make a nice little outing round the town! However I noticed from the Bristol Post blurb that there is no mention of the tourist bus visiting the old pier - surely of sufficient 'historic interest' to be include in the itinerary?  However, I'm struggling to remember the location of 'Knighstone Island'.  Not wishing to be pedantic or anything, but shouldn't that have a t after the h?  Someone put me out of my misery.....

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 20:20:01 »

Knightstone Island is not the location of the old Birnbeck Pier. It is just along the sea front to the right of the Grand Pier and protects the marina behind it. It now has a large housing development on it. Until recently it was used as a boarding point for MV Balmoral pleasure cruises around the Bristol Channel. The Balmoral is currently laid up being refitted and is not expected to be back in service until 2015

Birnbeck Pier is further around the Anchor Head peninsula to the north of the main sea front and Grand Pier, linking the mainland to Birnbeck Island. I say linking - the pier has long been closed and is in a parlous state. As are the majority of buildings on the island. There is no public access to Birnbeck Island. The pier is only used by lifeboat crews to reach the lifeboat station on the island.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 20:28:37 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 17:08:08 »

How sad that the Birnbeck Pier (or Olod Pier as it alternatively known as) is out of use. Some 60 years ago it was on my route for a day trip from Bridgwater to Nantgarw in the Taff Valley. Our journ ey was a penny bus ride in Bridgwater to the Railway station, train to Weston, walk to the Grand Pier, Bus to the Birnbeck pier to board a P & A Campbell paddle steamer (Glen Usk, Bristol Queen, Cardiff Queenare names I recall), an hour's cross Bristol Channel crossing to Cardiff Docks, if the tide was in, or Penarth if it was out, At Cardiff docks we waited for a tram to arrive and as it was the terminus it always intrigued me to watch the driver get his long pole out to turn the panograph around whilst the conductor, turned the swivel back seats around so that everybody travel front facing in either direction. A rattley journey up to the castle and a short walk around the back to the Rhonda Valley bus terminal alongside the rear of the castle.Buses departed every few minutes, usually Western Welsh). Of course the vast majority of people used public transport to travel any where as private cars were very rare in those days. We left home around 08.00 to 08.30 and arrived up the Taff valley around 11.00 just in time for a mid-morning cup of tea (coffee was a rarity in those days. We set out for home at around 08.00 to 18.30 and were back in Bridgwater around 21.00 and it didn't cost a fortune. Oh, those were the days
John R

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 18:45:23 »

I've never really thought of Nantgarw as a tourist attraction. Although the valleys are much more picturesque these days (yes really!).
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 22:58:05 »

The pier is only used by lifeboat crews to reach the lifeboat station on the island.

Even the RNLI have abandoned their lifeboat base on the island, so dangerous was the access.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 23:15:02 »

I believe they are using two inshore lifeboats from Knightstone Harbour for most 'shouts', but the larger boat remains on Birnbeck Island. It will still be used if there is an immediate danger to life that cannot be covered by the smaller inshore boats.

The larger boat was last used in anger on 2nd March 2014, launching from Birnbeck Island. That story highlights not only the dangers the crews face in putting to sea to rescue others, but also the dangers the crew have to deal with getting to the island and launching in the dark.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 13:20:34 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 12:21:15 »

Thanks for that clarification, BNM, I hadn't picked that up.  You are absolutely right about the bravery of these guys - gratitude and respect all round.
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 21:20:03 »

I believe they are using two inshore lifeboats from Knightstone Harbour for most 'shouts', but the larger boat remains on Birnbeck Island. It will still be used if there is an immediate danger to life that cannot be covered by the smaller inshore boats.

The larger boat was last used in anger on 2nd March 2014, launching from Birnbeck Island. That story highlights not only the dangers the crews face in putting to sea to rescue others, but also the dangers the crew have to deal with getting to the island and launching in the dark.
When I was living in Weston, about 15 years ago, even then I used to feel concerned about the safety of the lifeboatmen negotiating their way along that rickety old pier to get to the boat house.  I'm sure they must be at more risk of injury getting along the pier than when they're at sea.  Bless their hearts.

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 11:10:12 »

An update on Birnbeck Island and Pier, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Pier and boat store on top 10 at-risk buildings

Birnbeck Pier was used as a secret weapons testing site during World War Two

Britain's only pier built around an island and a boat store of "worldwide importance" are among this year's top 10 most endangered buildings.

The Victorian Society has published its annual list of the most at-risk Victorian and Edwardian buildings in England and Wales.

Actor and Victorian Society vice-president Griff Rhys Jones said the buildings needed the public's help.

A palatial house in Conwy, dubbed the "discount Downton", also made the list.

Jones has recorded a video asking people to help publicise the list, which is nominated by members of the public, because "they are buildings that need help and we need you to help them".

Director of the Victorian Society Christopher Costelloe said: "All the buildings in this year's top 10 are listed buildings, meaning that the government has recognised their national importance. These buildings illustrate Britain's history in tangible form. All of them deserve better than their current situations."

On the 2015 endangered list

Birnbeck Pier, Weston-super-Mare, Somerset - (Grade II*, 1862) Britain's only pier leading to an island, it was damaged by a mine during World War Two while it was being used by the Admiralty as HMS Birnbeck, a secret facility for weapons testing. The pier closed in 1994 and successive owners' restoration plans have come to nothing. Storms earlier this year have left one walkway on the verge of collapse.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 23:05:10 »

A further update on the state of the pier and island, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Birnbeck Pier loss 'significant' warns actor Timothy West

Actor Timothy West praised Birnbeck Pier as a "beautiful piece of engineering"

Actor Timothy West has visited a group fighting to save the crumbling Birnbeck Pier, saying it would be "a significant loss" if it collapsed.

The pier at Weston-super-Mare is among the 10 most endangered buildings on a list compiled by The Victorian Society.

Survey work is under way to determine how much it would cost to repair the main bridge and carry out structural reports for the other buildings.

Mr West said it was a "beautiful piece of engineering" and needed to be saved.

Birnbeck Pier is Britain's only pier built around an island

It shut to the public in 1994 and has deteriorated ever since

During a visit on Saturday, he said: "We lived in Bristol during world war two. We used to come to Weston for our holidays and I've kept links with this area ever since. I found myself living in places where we had wonderful piers, and this one particularly I was very fond of. Partly because of the Campbell [paddle] steamers which called here and went over to Cardiff and down to Ilfracombe, Lundy Island and so on.

"Long term I would like to see the whole pier and the island with the landing stage refurbished. It's a very long term project but it could happen."

The pier's regeneration trust is in the process of working out the cost to bring it back to life

Heritage England has recorded its condition as "very bad"

The Grade II*-listed pier, which is the only one in Britain leading to an island, shut in 1994 and has since fallen into a state of disrepair. Successive owners' restoration plans have come to nothing and storms earlier this year left one walkway on the verge of collapse.

Richard Griffin, project director for The Birnbeck Regeneration Trust, said they had the support of the owner who had agreed, in principle, to a lease for a minimum of 25 years "once we get funding and planning permission in place".

"If we let it fall into the sea and rot away that would be a travesty to history," he added.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 13:08:18 »

When I was dating Wife V1 - who lived in Weston - I seem to remember there was a tea house at the land end of the pier that sold - as you probably guessed - refreshments. I seem to remember it played old music and was a lovely place to visit.

Looking at Google Earth I'm not sure it's there anymore
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 22:20:24 »

When I was dating Wife V1 - who lived in Weston...

I can't get used to these vari-focal specs.  I thought I read 'Wife VI' (6) not Version One!  I was, for a moment, most impressed.   Grin
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 06:24:03 »

When I was dating Wife V1 - who lived in Weston...

I can't get used to these vari-focal specs.  I thought I read 'Wife VI' (6) not Version One!  I was, for a moment, most impressed.   Grin

Loll! Nope, no need to call me "Henry the VIIIth" ...still only on wife V2 Smiley Can't afford any more!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 23:10:13 »

Going off at a bit of a tangent: John Cleese, a native of Weston super Mare, is now married to wife number four ...  Grin

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: