09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
10:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 09:37:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Birnbeck Pier, Weston super Mare  (Read 13100 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 01:16:18 »

My Mum's on husband number 4.

I've always wondered why we periodically got a new patio...

Just kidding Mumsy!  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 17:24:29 »

Section of Birnbeck Pier collapses into sea - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-35199177

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 17:44:30 »

Section of Birnbeck Pier collapses into sea - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-35199177

Sad, but given the weather not surprising.

I seem to remember when I was still with wife v1.0, who lived in Weston, that there were really bad winds which ripped up part of the promenade. I can't remember the year but it must have been the early 80s at a guess.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 16:49:35 »

From that BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) video news report, it's interesting that those high winds caused the closure of Brunel's Clifton Suspension Bridge due to weather conditions for only the second time in its 150 year history.  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 00:35:26 »

From the Bristol Post:

Pokemon Go players rescued by RNLI teetering on end of crumbling pier in Weston-super-mare

Six youngsters went hunting Pokemon monsters at the end of Birnbeck Pier

A group of six teenage Pokemon Go players had to be rescued from the derelict Birnbeck Pier in Weston-super-Mare after venturing to the end in search of imaginary monsters.

The RNLI lifeboat, as well as crews from Avon Fire and Rescue Service and South West Ambulance Service were called to assist with the rescue – the latest in a string of Pokemon Go-related rescues since the craze began.

The historic pier, which has been closed to the public since 1994, is teetering on the edge of being washed into the sea following storms in the Spring.

The RNLI had to launch two lifeboats last Friday night after youngsters began risking their lives by diving – or 'tombstoning' – from the railings on the pier.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 22:45:10 »

Whenever I hear someone mention a decrepit pier in Weston super Mare, I think at once of Jeffrey Archer before the spelling is corrected.

Birnbeck Pier has had, alas, more plans than Baldrick. Sadly, none turned out to be cunning enough. It was a charming spot, and I'm sure it could be again. That it isn't now says much about the economics of recovering the pier. Presumably, all the former owners had ideas, but couldn't make the figures add up. It must be harder than other pier schemes in the past because of the island and other structures.

Timothy West has form in pier restoration fund raising - he is a patron of the National Piers Society, and with his wife was involved in the restoration of Clevedon Pier. Sadly, she is unwell these days, but his support and that of John Cleese could help get things stuttering to a start.

When I was dating Wife V1 - who lived in Weston...

I can't get used to these vari-focal specs.  I thought I read 'Wife VI' (6) not Version One!  I was, for a moment, most impressed.   Grin

I thought she was called Vi, or had an unpredictable and explosive nature. In these present enlightened days, being married to Wife Mark 1 is acceptable.

Now, please!
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2016, 23:36:01 »

Pokemon Go players rescued by RNLI teetering on end of crumbling pier in Weston-super-mare

Isn't it about time that the emergency services were able to reclaim their costs & more directly from Nintendo or whoever the software developers are? The more I read about this app / game the more it worries me about peoples common sense and safety.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2016, 10:54:26 »

Isn't it about time that the emergency services were able to reclaim their costs & more directly from Nintendo or whoever the software developers are? The more I read about this app / game the more it worries me about peoples common sense and safety.

Plausible deniability, plus the complex issues of suing an overseas corporation with a bigger budget than the UK (United Kingdom), would prevent action. That, and the lack of evidence that the Great British Public is any more sensible without Pokemon...

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2016, 20:29:44 »

I do not feel it realistic to blame the developers of the silly game for the costs resulting in rescuing foolish persons who take it too seriously.

What next, charge makers of air-beds for the costs of rescuing those who float out to sea on them?
Or vendors of hiking boots that encourage users to walk in remote places and get lost or injured?
Or publishers of locomotive lists for the cost of delay minutes when spotters trespass on the line in pursuit?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2016, 23:46:02 »

I do not feel it realistic to blame the developers of the silly game for the costs resulting in rescuing foolish persons who take it too seriously.

What next, charge makers of air-beds for the costs of rescuing those who float out to sea on them?
Or vendors of hiking boots that encourage users to walk in remote places and get lost or injured?
Or publishers of locomotive lists for the cost of delay minutes when spotters trespass on the line in pursuit?

I hope you haven't given some nasty claims company ideas!  I'll await the phone calls asking about my twisted ankle sustained falling from my airbed off Dawlish Beach (still wearing my walking boots because of the shingle) while trying to glimpse the loco numbers from a better vantage point.  Roll Eyes
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 18:21:03 »

That, and the lack of evidence that the Great British Public is any more sensible without Pokemon...

Indeed  Roll Eyes  From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Three rescues for holidaymaker cut off by Cornwall tide

A young woman holidaying in Cornwall was rescued by the same lifeboat crew three times in four days after being cut off by the tide.

She was saved by the RNLI on Tuesday, Thursday and again on Friday.

In each case, she had been cut off by the tide while out walking and the D-class inshore lifeboat crews had to go into the water to rescue her.

She has since been given a "comprehensive safety briefing", the RNLI said.

It said sea and weather conditions last week meant none of the rescues had been particularly easy.

"The spring tides can catch people out, especially holidaymakers, who are unaware of the tidal cycles and speed that the tide can come in," said Brian Bowdler, helm of Looe lifeboat.

Despite her triple rescue ordeal, the woman was unhurt and said to be "fine".

She has since been given a "comprehensive safety briefing", the RNLI said. 

My interpretation. CfN.  Lips sealed

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 18:33:00 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 20:23:09 »

Shame they can't give her a "comprehensive" invoice too.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2016, 20:34:48 »

Sound like she's in training for this years Darwin awards !!.."
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 07:59:28 »

Sadly, there has been one death in the water in Cornwall in recent days, and a number of near misses. Weston seldom has the conditions one can see occasionally around the cliffs of the Atlantic coast, or my former home near Blackpool for that matter, although the mud in the Axe estuary catches many out each year. There is no number of signs, posters, or warnings that will stop people getting into trouble. It's one thing assessing the risks and quite another recognising that there is a risk in the first place.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 21:44:56 »

Whenever I hear someone mention a decrepit pier in Weston super Mare, I think at once of Jeffrey Archer before the spelling is corrected.
Cheesy Grin

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: