I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:08:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Social & economic effects of new railway - Borders study and lesson discussion  (Read 2235 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 22, 2015, 06:52:25 »

When you open a significant stretch of new railway, you find (you certainly hope to find) people flocking to use it ... and indeed that has happened with the Borders Railway. But there's an interesting corrolary question - what did those people do before the railway was available? 

This article in the Berwickshire News - based on a survey taken before the line opened - looks forward to the changes, with comment being made on "subsequent experience".

Figures and effects quoted don't come as any great surprise to me. And you need to consider adjusting results to take into account "optimism factors" where people say they will use the service, but in the end they don't don't get round to it - they just wish they could / did.

Over 90% of Borderers who took part in a major region-wide survey said they were "unlikely" or "not at all likely" to use the new Borders Railway to get to and from work.

Even in the Scottish Borders Council ward of Galashiels and District, only 11% of respondents indicated they may take the train to work, while 55% said they would use it for shopping.

In Leaderdale and Melrose, which includes the Tweedbank terminus, even fewer people (7%) said they were likely to use the railway for work purposes with 48% saying they would use it for shopping.

Although these views were canvassed before the line opened in September, the findings from the 2015 Scottish Borders Household Survey appear to chime with the subsequent experience of those retailers in Galashiels who recently claimed the railway had resulted in a net exodus of shoppers from the town.

Ironically, when the 2,706 households from across the region who responded to the survey were asked to tick the "neighbourhood issues" most important to them, "growing the economy of the Borders and supporting local retailers and businesses" emerged as the top priority.

We considered, and have looked back at, such effects from our relatively small 'reopening' of the TransWilts - I'll call it a 'reopening' in this context as the previous service was of little use to all but a handful of people.  Perhaps that's where my lack of surprise comes from.  We've not seen the shopper's exodus - and I suspect that the traders of Galashiels have had something of captive market which is no longer quite so captive; further, there's around 8 times the train capacity from Tweedbank that we have from Melksham, for a population http://www.ourscottishborders.com/live/towns/populations which (Tweedbank / Melrose, Galashiels, Stow all together) is still well under that of the Melksham area.

An interesting report and I would love to see follow ups / surveys of actual users and where they come from.  There may be something of a "Honeymoon period" - perhaps with Christmas shoppers trying it out this year and deciding next year that it's not going to be a regular (annual) change for them.  That was certainly something the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) was worried about (or perhaps threw up as a caution to keep their options open) when TransWilts took off well above target.  And interesting thought too for the communities of Portishead and Tavistock in our own region.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 07:32:14 »

People are unlikely to rush out to change their jobs because a railway makes new journeys possible.  However, they may change their jobs over a longer period knowing the railway is there.  So any commuting I would expect to take longer to build up. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 08:31:06 »

People are unlikely to rush out to change their jobs because a railway makes new journeys possible.  However, they may change their jobs over a longer period knowing the railway is there.  So any commuting I would expect to take longer to build up. 

On a completely different scale of course but in Taplow and the surrounding villages we are already noticing the stirrings of people mentioning Crossrail as a reason for moving there for a far easier commute to London and house prices are already going through the roof in expectation, despite its arrival still being 3 years away!

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 14:52:13 »

I expect some/most of those shopping trips on the Borders rail would be new trips rather than replacements. Somewhere else on this forum is a review of a book about this kind of stuff by Steve Melia. I haven't read the book but I've met Dr Melia a couple of times and he likes to talk about these things even on unrelated occasions, so from my memories of that and the review (I'll find it in a mo) this would conform to his findings/theories: that new transport possibilities, of any sort, tend to create extra journeys rather than replace existing ones and that public transport tends to replace other public transport rather than private modes.

Edit: Here is Red Squirrel's review of Urban Transport Without the Hot Air.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: