27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 06:51:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[163] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[105] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[59] Where have I been?
[58] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[49] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Trains on Christmas day  (Read 6463 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 24, 2015, 20:11:38 »

From IanVisits Blog

On Christmas Day, the land falls silent as the trains, tubes and buses largely shut-down for a well-earned break. However, when the railways were younger, the motor car didn^t exist, and the Christmas holidays lasted just one day, trains were commonplace on Christmas Day itself.

The notion of the country shutting down, is an oddly modern phenomena, and in our modern frantic lives, a very welcome one.

For example, December 1862:

South Eastern Railway ran a Sunday service, as did the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway, with the addition of a fast service at 7am from London to Brighton.

The Great Northern Railway not only ran a Sunday service, but return tickets sold from the 20th Dec could be used on any day for the return trip up to the 27th Dec.

The London and North-Western ran a Sunday service, with extra trains in the morning from Euston. Likewise, the South-Western Railway had additional trains departing from Waterloo in the morning.

[Article continues ... find out when they ceased]

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 07:49:21 »

The local services/u- & s-bahn atound Vienna certainly seem to be working today. Will be checking them out later
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 09:34:17 »

The local services/u- & s-bahn atound Vienna certainly seem to be working today. Will be checking them out later

Have a great time - do post us some pictures and commentaries!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 09:59:39 »

On the National Railway Museum facebook page they have shown a poster encouraging people to travel by train over the Christmas break...I found this ironic given the issues from last year.

I believe the image below should be visible even if you don't have a Facebook account (apologies if it isn't)

https://www.facebook.com/nationalrailwaymuseum/photos/a.91905537229.85987.7774637229/10153739039397230/?type=3&theater Cry
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 10:13:03 »

... I found this ironic given ...

Indeed.  And I can't help noticing the irony that the Highways Agency is talking about a reduction in roadworks over the Christmas and New Year period to allow of much greater traffic flows that normal, while the railways offer a reduced service.   

All may not be as it seems with that, to be fair - the big flows by rail (in terms of passenger numbers) during the year are commuters, and that dries up for a couple of weeks at this time of year.  And yet ... our passenger counts on the TransWilts on 12th, 13th and 14th December (Saturday, Sunday, Monday) had the highest number of journeys on the Saturday, with Monday (just) second and Sunday third.  Yet if you counted numbers per train - with Sunday being 11 trains not 16 - Sunday's trains were busiest.   Remarkably, a noticeable number of the same customers on multiple days - showing how important the service is even on the none-traditional work days.

Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 15:51:10 »

I don't know about the running of trains but the Christmas railway event I seem to remember as a young boy in Bamber Bridge, Lancs was the annual disruption caused by the permanent closure (for the day) of the level crossing gates across Station Road.  This was also the A6 and a main route to the north - alleviated to some extent by that date by the building of Britain's first motorway* - The Preston Bypass (M6).

Something to do with the railways asserting their statutory rights over the crossing and stopping it becoming a public right-of-way.

*Many southerners mistakenly think the first motorway was the M1 - sorry!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 17:46:57 »

From the front page of gwr.com in the last few minutes - 17:45 on Friday, 25th December 2015:

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 17:49:31 »

Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 17:52:01 »

Not often that everything in running as perfectly as this!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 17:55:01 »

Still only 'generally', though.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 18:03:38 »

Just shows how efficient things can be when those pesky passengers aren't around.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 18:44:07 »

I believe the image below should be visible even if you don't have a Facebook account (apologies if it isn't)

Purely for ease of reading for those with portable devices:

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 19:28:36 »

Have a great time - do post us some pictures and commentaries!

Sorry, not on my own & I don't want to bore my better half!

Yes, definitely running. 15min intervals this morning, but by the time 4pm arrived, intervals were down to 5min between trams, trains & underground. No shops open, but the attractions all were.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 10:54:56 »

In the early sixties many (single Sad) train spotters spent Christmas in Scotland as there was still steam and trains on Xmas and Bosing Day.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 12:26:31 »

A fairly full train service was run in the early 60s but this was progressively thinned out (some regions quicker than others) and gone by the late 1960s at least as far as long distance trains are concerned. Local services probably hung on in some areas for a while after that.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: