I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:56:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cambridge North Station - requirement, plans, progress  (Read 8292 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 02, 2016, 10:00:09 »

Cambridge Business Park, Cambridge Science Park, St. John's Innovation Centre and Park, and Cambridge Regional College all lie within a triangle formed by the A14 road (to the north), the railway from Cambridge to Ely (to the east) and the guided busway completing the south east chord. There is massive employment / education within this area but little or no residential accommodation, and teh result is a massive net inflow in the morning, and outflow in the evening.   The A14 junction clogs badly, as does the A10 Milton Road. The guided busway brings in some people (from the countryside toward St Ives), but in practise the main traffic for the busway is from the St. Ives area to the centre of Cambridge, with alternate buses bypassing the science park, leaving gaps of up to 38 minutes there on the inbound service at the end of the working day. The railway line is curently near-useless for people travelling to and from this hive of employment and education, with the nearest stops being the main "Cambridge" station about 3 miles to the south, and Waterbeach which is about 3 miles to the north. 

I do a lot of work in this triangle - away from Melksham, Cambridge is the place I spend the most time, and the majority of that work time is in this technology triangle.  So I've been delighted to see plans afoot to open a "Cambridge North" station at an apex of the triangle.  Without doing a full business case / reading that up, I can't quote you BCRs (Benefit Cost Ratio), anticipated passenger flows, etc - but this one feels like a "no brainer".  The market's not only for traffic to the triangle, but also commuter traffic from the Chesterton, King's Hedges and perhaps Fen Ditton areas of the city, and as a guided busway and car interchanged onto trains from Long Stanton, Swavesey, St. Ives and the developing countryside.  Readers may feel that with Cambridge Station "only" 3 miles away, that should be sufficient ... problem is that the bus takes up to 25 minutes across the city - or indeed I have taken 50 minutes on a bad day (that's an express bus off the busway, but running on City streets). I conjecture that you can tell that rosd-side transport to the current station is broken when you see the swarms of taxis there - and indeed I'll be using a taxi there later this week as I have no choice when I arrive / for where I'm going.

Cambridge is not in GWR (Great Western Railway) / SWT (South West Trains) / XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) territory - so why am I writing about it here?   Because it's a useful example of station development with which we can compare / benchmark, and we have a number of well-informed members who drop in here from time to time who can comment and help us learn better.  Such learning will help inform other proposals - such as Wilton, Porton, a second Cranbrook Station, and so on;  yes - we have a lot of experience especially in the Exeter area already, but that bit more can't harm.

From the Ely News

An overhaul is in the pipeline at Cambridge's new railway station as Network Rail faces a race against time to get it built before the end of 2016.

Network Rail and Brookgate are bidding to redesign much of the entrance to the proposed Cambridge North station, near the Science Park.

Their fresh plans would see the 450-space car park moved next to the railway line, with this move set to make it easier to turn the car park into a multi-storey if residents' fears over a lack of parking materialise.

Vehicles going into the car park will now share the access road with Network Rail's maintenance compound, while the main access road into the station would be straightened.

So how is progress on this - which (on earlier plans) I should have been able to use just before Christmas, and again next week.

A source involved with the project told the News this week that the new station would be finished and open in December or in May 2017.

The station has already faced significant delays. Network Rail took the project over from Cambridgeshire County Council and re-applied for essentially the same planning permission, with the original target opening date set for December 2015.

New stations can only be opened every six months, to fit in with changes to the timetable.

In a further development, city MP (Member of Parliament) Daniel Zeichner has written to both Cambridge City and South Cambridgeshire district councils to express concern over the fact the Section 106 agreement for the ^44 million new station has not been signed.

This package of developer contributions would demand certain improvements be paid to mitigate the impact of the new station.

And Mr Zeichner warns in his letter that a hold-up in signing the Section 106 agreement could delay construction of the station.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 12:43:29 »

Not so re opening stations on timetable change dates only - cf Chiltern & Oxford Parkway...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 13:03:07 »

Not so re opening stations on timetable change dates only - cf Chiltern & Oxford Parkway...

Indeed, Chris ... Newcourt opened on 4th June, Borders railway opened 9th September 2015, Oxford Parkway on 26th October.  Lots more scheduled to be opened at dates which may not be May or December - Bermuda Park, Ilkeston, Kirstall Forge ... but then all of those were supposed to be open by now but have slipped; most openings are indeed at timetable changes, but not all.    I didn't write the Ely News article, just quoted it  Cheesy

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 13:15:24 »

Annoying to see, once again, a useful new station getting bogged down with the myriad of unnecessary delays that they all seem to fall foul of.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 15:40:25 »

Cf the Cambridge Guided Busway!

On this occasion, better it got right first time?
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 18:02:25 »

Cambridge is not in GWR (Great Western Railway) / SWT (South West Trains) / XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) territory - so why am I writing about it here?

Well there is a proposed 1tph XC service in each direction, along with a daily through train from the old GW (Great Western) region!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 19:13:03 »

Cambridge is not in GWR (Great Western Railway) / SWT (South West Trains) / XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) territory - so why am I writing about it here?

Well there is a proposed 1tph XC service in each direction, along with a daily through train from the old GW (Great Western) region!

You have me scratching my head on that one ... "old GW Region".   I'm thinking at extra XC train from midWales / Borders .... please put me out of my misery / tell!

John R

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 19:40:46 »

The 0822 New St to Stansted Airport starts back from Gloucester on weekdays.

(Interesting that my mac auto-corrected Stansted to stagnated.  Hmmm...)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 20:11:13 »

Living just off the Milton Road, in Chesterton, I have been awaiting this station since moving to the area two years ago.

The three mile trip to Cambridge station is impossible on public transport outside "core" hours.  For many trips, I often think that if I'm driving to the station, why don't I just drive the whole journey.  Sadly this means the railway also misses out on my custom.

In addition to this station, there is another new station planned at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge.  There is also speculation that there may be discussions regarding a new station at Hinxton (where I work) if the Wellcome Trust go ahead with their massive Genome Campus expansion plans.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 20:41:31 »

The three mile trip to Cambridge station is impossible on public transport outside "core" hours.  ...

I was up there again on Thursday ... 5 p.m. finish at the place on the Buckingway Business Park, but not onto a train until the 7.15 p.m. ... really frustrating as I'm working with 200 metres of this bus stop:

Or (here's part of the problem) former bus stop ...

For many trips, I often think that if I'm driving to the station, why don't I just drive the whole journey.

And there's the problem with one impractical leg of a whole journey - the whole journey becomes an effort / impractical and drives people away from public transport ...

readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 21:18:34 »

The 0822 New St to Stansted Airport starts back from Gloucester on weekdays.

(Interesting that my mac auto-corrected Stansted to stagnated.  Hmmm...)

John beat me to it!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 15:32:13 »

Video of the station under construction from a passing train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrjwsTqM2jw

Attachment - screen capture frame from the video

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 20:10:47 »

I have mentioned my first use of the new station at Cambridge North the other week - and I know that I'll be there next month too.  Fortunately walking from the station as according to The Daily Mail the station car park has already been full - if not entirely with rail users as planned.

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 18:36:15 »

I have mentioned my first use of the new station at Cambridge North the other week - and I know that I'll be there next month too.  Fortunately walking from the station as according to The Daily Mail the station car park has already been full - if not entirely with rail users as planned.
I wonder if the TOC (Train Operating Company) will be using their byelaw powers to recover the costs of removing the vehicles and/or prosecuting for obstructing the car park?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 21:20:59 »

I wonder if the TOC (Train Operating Company) will be using their byelaw powers to recover the costs of removing the vehicles and/or prosecuting for obstructing the car park?

I hear it was invaded by a crowd of pik......sorry I mean peaceful, law abiding, tax paying travelling folk?  Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: