Train RunningCancelled
07:34 Didcot Parkway to Banbury
Short Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
08:35 Banbury to Didcot Parkway
Delayed
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
06:44 Exeter St Davids to Cardiff Central
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
12:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 08:13:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[163] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[105] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[59] Where have I been?
[58] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[49] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting Regulation at Swindon  (Read 5921 times)
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2016, 10:23:19 »

Came back from Cardiff yesterday after a day out to Penarth (walk back over the Cardiff Bay barrage and then bus back to Cardiff Central, but that^s another story) on 1625 Cardiff ^ Padd.  We were late at Wootton Bassett after a door incident at Newport, but preceded (as booked) the 1700 Bristol ^ Padd by a few minutes.  At Rushey Platt we crossed to the UR and heading for P1 at Swindon.

Things are a bit busy at Swindon at that time, with 3 up HST (High Speed Train)^s and the 1736 Swindon ^ Westbury as well.  We got held outside Swindon and the 1700 Bristol ^ Padd overtook us on the UM and went in P3.  It departed P3 just as we drew into P1 (no doubt having picked up all the passengers for Reading and Paddington).  We departed 3 minutes afterwards, expecting to be checked behind the 1700 Bristol - Padd while it called at Didcot (our train didn^t).

However, the 1700 Bristol ^ Padd was put over to the UR at Challow and we overtook it, so got a clear run from Swindon to Reading.

I can^t recall any similar move with up HST^s between Swindon and Didcot.  I^m not questioning or criticising the regulation as it looks like it was quick reactions to emerging events.  It was interesting, which I mean in the true sense of the word.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 19:51:02 »

With the TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) now covering the approaches to Challow from the west as well as the four track section they now have a bigger picture which possibly gives them the chance to react better in such situations.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 20:40:49 »

'Signalmen' seem to get plenty of stick when it would appear they have made a mistake and not enough credit when they have solved a sticky situation so I would like to add my praise for this in this instance, but.......

Looking at your example from yesterday it would seem that the Swansea was 9 Late at Wootton Basset but 18 late by the time it left Swindon, the Bristol meanwhile was just the 2 late at Wootton Basset, 9 late by the time it was at Didcot which resulted in being 15 late arrival into Paddington. The 17:35 from Cheltenham (P1) was on-time.

I can understand not wishing to delay the 17:36 Transwilts service however I see no reason for the Swansea not to have gone straight into P3. Being 9 Late at the time would have resulted in an arrival at Swindon at 17:36, allowing the Westbury to depart on-time (Give or take a few seconds). The Bristol could then have just gone into P1 and both HSTs (High Speed Train) would have arrived Didcot/Reading around 8 minutes earlier than they ultimately did.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 10:38:33 »

Isn't this sort of situation the all singing and dancing digital railway is supposed to solve? I wonder what it's solution would have been?

However what it does illustrate is what I learnt at at Sutton in the sixties  that the railway is a true real time system which changes by the second and that any decision can be wrong as circumstances change dynamically. As i know when we shut up Sutton trying to turn a train around, on controls orders, in the Down Epsom Downs platform (4). Couldn't get detection due to signal wire contracting in frost. Still the sledge hammer worked!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 10:45:17 by eightf48544 » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: