24/04/24 00:31 London Paddington to Oxford
Delayed
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 00:24:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Newly restored "Flying Scotsman" back in service - ongoing discussion  (Read 112538 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: May 06, 2019, 09:25:00 »

I wonder how much the charter companies pay in various access fees/charges, and whether a better solution might be to frontload the cost of the previous year's disruption onto the next year's fees. This would encourage the charter companies to look at ways of preventing trespassing in the first place, rather than paying delay fees that would mean perpetually reacting to trespassing that had already taken place. Of course, the charter companies could instead decide that running the tours was no longer financially viable, which would then bring about the de facto main line steam ban that some have suggested as an alternative solution.

Or am i being too rational?...

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 06, 2019, 10:47:34 »

It has become a very common event on a daily basis as the Twitter accounts of SWR» (South Western Railway - about), GWR (Great Western Railway) and SR(resolve) report.
With Flying Scotsman, surely the charter companies will look twice at using it if they are the ones paying the delay minutes fees.

This is what the train drivers are having to put up with

Thttps://twitter.com/highspeedpanda/status/1125139489255501824?s=21
Just looking at that image made me cross, the unbelievable stupid behaviour of some people. Like one person said on that thread, they are old enough to know better...clearly not.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #257 on: May 06, 2019, 11:14:53 »

And the press feed out the running times to all and sundry --- from Daniel Morrow, Trainee Reporter, Lincolnshire Live - ((here))

Please note - I have altered the times so that this in now FAKE NEWS ... as I'm making a point and not wanting to make crowds who ... based on an article without even a token warning to safety ... seems to add fuel to the fire.

Train lovers have been urged to be on the lookout as the Flying Scotsman is set to pass through Lincolnshire.

The world famous steam locomotive will be travelling through the county on its trip from London to York on Tuesday, May 7.

Its route will pass through Spalding, Metheringham before stopping at Lincoln Central. The Flying Scotsman will then pass through Saxilby and Gainsborough stations.

[snip]

Trainspotters will be able to see the train pass through Spalding at 2.56pm before it stops at Metheringham station at 3.27pm – when it will remain at the station for 13 minutes.

The next stop for the world famous train will be at Lincoln Central at around 3.53pm – but you will have to be quick as it will only stay at the station for two minutes.

It will then set off towards York, passing both Saxilby and Gainsborough at around 4.04pm and 4.15pm respectively.

Daniel may be a trainee reporter ... I wonder what his editor's directives are ... balance between "get as many readers as you can" and encouraging unthought/dangerous behaviour.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 06, 2019, 13:29:19 »

The image has been shared with Ian Prosser (ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)) and BTP (British Transport Police) on Twitter. One hopes that that will speed up identification.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 06, 2019, 13:33:56 »

Hopefully the trainee reporter can be taught not to use the definitive article when writing about Flying Scotsman. Roll Eyes Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 06, 2019, 14:07:35 »

Reading some speculation in the Press today that Network Rail may ban The Flying Scotsman if trespassing morons continue to delay scheduled services.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 06, 2019, 14:43:15 »

Reading some speculation in the Press today that Network Rail may ban The Flying Scotsman if trespassing morons continue to delay scheduled services.
Might as well ban it now then because it’s been proved over and over that they don’t.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #262 on: May 06, 2019, 14:46:13 »

Quote from: TaplowGreen

I was just about to post on the subject as Taplow Green posted this.

One question that I would like answered is whether it is only this engine that is a particular problem? We don't appear to see many similar reports about other steam workings.

When I was on one of the 1T57 commemorative trips last August there were certainly plenty of linesiders, and Appleby station was overflowing with a lot of people of a "certain age" wth cameras in their hands, but I never saw anyone doing anything stupid.

If it is a problem that mainly only besets 4472/60103 then perhaps Network Rail may be on to something. Whilst it would be a nuisance (to put it mildly...) for the return on investment in the restoration being limited, perhaps it would be for the best if this engine were only allowed to potter along heritage railways at 25mph. It would certainly be for the best if the end result of continuous and repeated trespass incidents surrounding this engine resulted in another blanket ban on steam workings.

I am old enough to remember the last one!

PS - if anyone is interested in some grainy instamatic shots I took of Operation 6000, when KGV took the Bulmers train out for a ride in 1971, they are here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93122458@N08/18202252402/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/93122458@N08/17585298453/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/93122458@N08/18207091091/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/93122458@N08/17583269484/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 06, 2019, 15:13:23 »

Might as well ban it now then because it’s been proved over and over that they don’t.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-48170533

....and this from a train driver.....

https://twitter.com/HighSpeedPanda/status/1125139489255501824?s=19
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 15:28:51 by TaplowGreen » Logged
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 06, 2019, 17:09:45 »

Hopefully the trainee reporter TaplowGreen can be taught not to use the definitive article when writing about Flying Scotsman. Roll Eyes Wink

My emphasis and alterations  Wink  Grin
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 06, 2019, 17:29:19 »

From last night.
https://mobile.twitter.com/MrcogginsGarage
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 06, 2019, 17:33:12 »

Hopefully the trainee reporter TaplowGreen can be taught not to use the definitive article when writing about Flying Scotsman. Roll Eyes Wink

My emphasis and alterations  Wink  Grin

I sincerely regret coming to the attention of (the) Grammar Nazis  Sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vf8N6GpdM
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #267 on: May 06, 2019, 17:40:16 »

Way off topic, but from Journey Check
https://www.journeycheck.com/greatwesternrailway/

Line Update
Delays to services between Totnes and Plymouth
Due to trespassers on the railway between Totnes and Plymouth trains have to run at reduced speed on all lines.
Train services running through these stations may be delayed by up to 30 minutes. Disruption is expected until 18:30 06/05.
Last Updated:06/05/2019 17:29

Are we expecting said engine passing through? Grin

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 06, 2019, 23:28:16 »

Hopefully the trainee reporter can be taught not to use the definitive article when writing about Flying Scotsman. Roll Eyes Wink

Or definitive times. That's definite, for sure!

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 07, 2019, 15:50:36 »

Or definitive times. That's definite, for sure!

Oh bum. Hoist again by one's petard. I, of course meant 'definite'.

Meanwhile there's these two prize turnips from the recent outing of Flying Scotsman.

Conflicting reports about how the Voyager came to a stand. It had either been cautioned to 5mph because of these trespassers and then stopped on sight of them, or had had the signal thrown back and emergency stopped.

Whatever the reason for the stop there's simply no excuse for those two muppets to be where they are. I've no qualms sharing their faces. I hope they will be, or have been, identified by BTP (British Transport Police) and are facing prosecution for railway trespass. I'd like to see a charge for obstructing engines or carriages on railways (Malicious Damage Act 1861) too. That can carry a sentence of up to two years in prison.

Idiots.

EDIT: Tweets from the driver involved. Confirms he had signals thrown back at him. Also confirms later in the twitter thread that his photos and the forward facing CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) have been sent to BTP.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HighSpeedPanda/status/1125139489255501824

EDIT: Apologies to TG. I somehow missed his earlier post with the same link.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 17:47:42 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20
  Print  

Jump to: