Delayed
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 15:19:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[367] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[70] "Mayflower"
[54] You see all sorts on the bus.
[38] Where have I been?
[34] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[32] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Newly restored "Flying Scotsman" back in service - ongoing discussion  (Read 112531 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 26, 2017, 14:05:00 »

60103 crossing North Town Moor, Langport about 45 minutes ago.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 26, 2017, 15:46:37 »

And folk never learn!  First one on the girder bridge crossing the River Parrett, North Town Moor, Langport (and two HSTs (High Speed Train) passed him before FS turned up)!; second one from the A361 overbridge just north of Cogload Junction.  Feel free to copy and post to Twitter, Farcebook, etc and shame these idiots.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 26, 2017, 17:32:22 »

In contrast, this spotter, known in this parish, was spotted behaving impeccably on North Town Moor, Langport:

Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 26, 2017, 20:21:58 »

In contrast, this spotter, known in this parish, was spotted behaving impeccably on North Town Moor, Langport:

Grin

Guilty Your Honour  Tongue  Cheesy
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 26, 2017, 22:41:09 »

The last photo from my chasing of Flying Scotsman. Taken about 30 minutes ago as 60103 passed the site of the former Langport East station. Very low light so I dialled up the ISO and used my widest aperture lens. No chance of freezing the action, but I quite like the result.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 27, 2017, 21:14:38 »

And perhaps a dipstick!.

I wasn't in the aircraft.  Grin

If you mean the graduated metal rod, they aren't used in Piper Cherokees, which is what Chris and Paul were flying, as a matter of routine. There are metal "tabs" fitted in the two tanks below the filler hole. With the fuel touching these, there is, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), 18 US gallons in the tank. Filled to the brim, there are 22 US gallons per tank. There are two fuel gauges, one per tank, which are said to be accurate only when the tank is completely full or totally empty.

There are two important sayings regarding fuel. You can use almost any fuel except what you left in the tanker. And you only have too much fuel on board if you are one fire.

Back on thread, those are excellent pictures yet again, BNM, and proof positive that you don't have to trespass to get good shots!

Now, please!
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 03, 2017, 20:20:42 »

Had to change trains at Woking today at about 6.20pm and had a 3 minute connection. Whilst waiting for the Portsmouth train I saw a green steam train coming towards us slowly. I wondered at first if it was Tornado but then read Flying Scotsman on the side. Those around me seemed to be as surprised as I was. Maybe those in the know were at the end of the platforms.

What seemed odd to me was that I couldn't really describe it as a steam train because I saw no white or grey steam. Just the sort of clear steam you'd get from a kettle. Is that normal? Perhaps it was being pushed by the diesel at the rear.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #202 on: June 03, 2017, 20:56:28 »

I ran into a bit of trouble over my suggestion, in a previous discussion here on the Coffee Shop forum, when I suggested that steam and / or water vapour were invisible.  Roll Eyes

I shall therefore refrain from venturing any such opinion here.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 03, 2017, 22:52:54 »

It is my understanding that water vapour (being the gaseous form of water) is invisible, but steam is a suspension of fine water particles in air and can be visible. Additionally smoke from the fire (which is visible)  may also be mixed with either water vapour or steam. 

On cold days water vapour can quickly change to steam, but on warm days like today it is much slower and the water vapour can disperse before it changes to steam. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #204 on: June 03, 2017, 22:56:55 »

That all looks fairly clear to me.  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #205 on: June 04, 2017, 10:08:22 »

And there was me about to sing "Smoke gets in your eyes" Cheesy

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 11, 2017, 16:12:13 »

Flying Scotsman is spending the week (5th-12th September 2017) on the West Somerset Railway. By all accounts it's proving extremely popular with, thankfully, no reports of trespassing or inconsiderate parking along the route.

WSR in conjunction with the local authority and the AA have done an excellent job with signage, parking restrictions, road closures and temporary car parks.

As to Flying Scotsman itself. She may be great at running at speed, but she was defeated by the climb from Bishop Lydeard to Crowcombe Heathfield earlier today. Weather related rail head conditions led to her slipping to a stand. A banking engine had to be sent from Bishops Lydeard to push from the rear. Apparently such an incident was prepared for with an engine and crew on standby.

https://twitter.com/bbcsomerset/status/907208487075287040

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2017, 16:22:16 »

It is my understanding that water vapour (being the gaseous form of water) is invisible, but steam is a suspension of fine water particles in air and can be visible. Additionally smoke from the fire (which is visible)  may also be mixed with either water vapour or steam. 

On cold days water vapour can quickly change to steam, but on warm days like today it is much slower and the water vapour can disperse before it changes to steam. 

Close, but no seegar!

Dry steam (or 'steam' as we purists call it) is the invisible gaseous phase of water; wet steam is steam containing droplets of water vapour, which are visible. Essentially your definitions are pi radians out of phase.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
NickF
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 11, 2017, 16:28:19 »

It got stuck on slippery rails:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-somerset-41229861/flying-scotsman-gets-stuck-on-somerset-hill
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 11, 2017, 16:37:56 »

Close, but no seegar!

Dry steam (or 'steam' as we purists call it) is the invisible gaseous phase of water; wet steam is steam containing droplets of water vapour, which are visible. Essentially your definitions are pi radians out of phase.

Actually I see that once again I need to wind my neck in: this diagram explains it all far more eloquently than I can:

In short: there is no such thing as steam. Interesting stuff, water. Unlike the Flaming Wastomoney.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: