02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
10:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
12:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 12:15:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[317] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[88] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[56] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[32] Where have I been?
[31] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[26] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Stagecoach and the South West Falcon  (Read 32076 times)
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 12:40:53 »

No splitting at Didcot Taunton then
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 16:41:41 »

Not if the driver plays by the rules.

Falcon fares

Journey  Adult Single/Adult Return
Plymouth - Exeter ^7.30/^7.50
Plymouth - Taunton ^7.30/^7.50
Plymouth - Bristol ^22/^25 
Exeter - Bristol ^13/^15
Taunton - Bristol ^6.50/^7.50
Brent Knoll - Bristol ^6/^7
Churchill - Bristol ^4.30/^5

Please note:

Sorry, but concessionary passes are not valid on Falcon.

Falcon is an express coach link for long distance journeys, local journeys cannot be made.

A through ticket must be bought on boarding for the full length of your journey. If you wish to split your journey into sections you must disembark and catch a later coach.

For full details please refer to our FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) (coming soon

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 17:17:52 »

I suspect that this may be difficult to enforce.  I do wonder what the legal consequences of not observing this rule would be.  IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), buses (except in London) do not have the benefit of a list of offences that can be used against fare dodgers. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 19:04:06 »

Wink

I suspect that this may be difficult to enforce.  I do wonder what the legal consequences of not observing this rule would be.  IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), buses (except in London) do not have the benefit of a list of offences that can be used against fare dodgers. 

...........maybe something to ponder whilst you're standing at the bus stop after the driver chucks you off for not having the correct ticket?
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 21:03:30 »

The interior looks identical to the X5 Oxford-Cambridge coach - maybe a slightly lighter blue. As a fairly regular X5 user, I'll admit I'd have to be really feeling the pinch to catch one of those when there's a train available, but no doubt they've done their research...
Puffing Billy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 22:05:32 »

Even from Taunton, let alone further west, a check-in before 7.30 a.m., or (at least at weekends), a landing after 9.00 p.m precludes the use of the existing service via Bristol TM(resolve), so the Falcon has the market to itself outside those hours. But one thing that might put people off is the insistence of avoiding a diversion to the (Taunton) town centre - I am not overly happy at the prospect of being dumped at a deserted business park in the small hours of the morning! Do not know if similar misgivings apply to the other stops - perhaps other people may have some input on this.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 22:14:29 »

Even from Taunton, let alone further west, a check-in before 7.30 a.m., or (at least at weekends), a landing after 9.00 p.m precludes the use of the existing service via Bristol TM(resolve), so the Falcon has the market to itself outside those hours. But one thing that might put people off is the insistence of avoiding a diversion to the (Taunton) town centre - I am not overly happy at the prospect of being dumped at a deserted business park in the small hours of the morning! Do not know if similar misgivings apply to the other stops - perhaps other people may have some input on this.

At the early hours I'd prefer not to be dropped in a town centre to be honest. The likelihood is someone will get collected if they have luggage so the deserted business park might be better choice than a town centre at club kicking out time and drunken revellers.

Puffing Billy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 22:38:35 »

Good point. On the other hand, the bus station has secure car parking nearby, and a taxi-rank round the corner as a fall-back in case you cannot arrange to get picked up. Can see the pros and cons of both situations.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 10:12:01 »

I  have raised the issue of timet keeping especially between Bristol Airport and Bristol city centre.  I have been driving the Bristol Airport - Cardiff  National  express service and frequently it has taken me 25 minutes to get from the airport to Ashton Gate during peak hours.

I do think   Stagecoach might  do well with this route and wish them luck. I think National express will be watching with interest. 

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 22:04:26 »

That's asking for pax to try it on.....there's no need to load the fare like that!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 07:23:42 »

That's asking for pax to try it on.....there's no need to load the fare like that!

It's probably to encourage Plymouth -Bristol passengers to use megabus which is typically between ^5-8 single booked 10days in advance for that journey. The megabus has a slightly quicker journey time as it only calls as Exeter, and goes a quicker way into Bristol.
 Plymouth -Exeter/Taunton are in the SW explorer day ticket area at a price of ^7.50 valid on all stagecoach SW services which may explain that ticket price,

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 10:05:21 »

Wink

...........maybe something to ponder whilst you're standing at the bus stop after the driver chucks you off for not having the correct ticket?

But having to leave the bus at Taunton and catch the next one is what you would have to do anyway if you had decided to use split ticketing legally. 

If I was doing Plymouth Taunton in my younger time-rich cash-poor days, I would certainly have bought the split tickets to save myself about a tenner at the cost of an extra hour of my time. 

Having now got those split tickets, I'd certainly try jumping off and then back on the same bus at Taunton, on the basis that I would be unlikely to be breaking any criminal law and the worst that could happen would be that I would be refused re-entry to the bus and have to wait for the next one.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 23:56:19 »

... frequently it has taken me 25 minutes to get from the airport to Ashton Gate during peak hours.

As a commercial driver familiar with that particular route: I agree.  Lips sealed

However, the construction of the South Bristol Link road will apparently solve all of those problems.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2016, 09:11:08 »

I was in Plymouth last weekend and happened to be strolling through Bretonside as one of the Falcons was getting ready to depart - so busy the driver was turning people away - lots of people talking about it too in Plymouth as an alternative to driving/getting the train, they look like top notch vehicles & seems like it could be a winner for Stagecoach (and travellers to Bristol!)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2016, 13:25:21 »

...so busy the driver was turning people away...

Good to hear the service was busy, but not good to hear people being turned away.  One of the negatives of coach travel.  Presumably you can book ahead to guarantee a seat though?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: