Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:18:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Late running stoppers  (Read 12159 times)
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2016, 10:47:57 »

A very cross Mrs GTBE has just phoned me (it's always my fault when trains are late of course, as I used to work on the railway) from Pangbourne station, where she's waiting for the 1017 Pangbourne - Reading, hoping to get 1042 Reading - Waterloo.  It's 8 late.  Reason is a late running freight (464A) put in front of it at Didcot East, a common occurrence. 

There seems to be a huge gap between the aspirations to run more trains on the RL's between Didcot and Reading and the current quality of train operation.   All we need is a realistic timetable that trains (not only freights, but also Turbos which are increasingly being driven by Drivers who have been trained to creep into stations in brake step 1) can and do adhere to - is that too difficult? 

Edited by FT, N! to correct fonts
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:44:32 by Four Track, Now! » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 11:58:37 »

is that too difficult? 

It is certainly becoming increasingly difficult due to the number of Intermodal freights that now plough up and down between Didcot and Reading - looking at Railcam now there's four freights currently between Didcot North Junction and Oxford Road Junction, Reading.  Their average speed is much greater than a stopper so it makes sense for them to go ahead of them, but I agree there are far too many times when the stopper waits at Didcot and leaves five or so minutes late - especially annoying since the train has been sat at Didcot for upwards of ten minutes anyway!  It is usually back on time from Reading due to the generous allowance at Reading station, but that is of no use to anyone only travelling as far as Reading.

Perhaps running the stopper a few minutes later from Didcot would improve the punctuality?  Though in doing that you'd increase the timetabled dwell time at Didcot even more, unless you ran them later from Oxford after the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) departures rather than before - but then you have what used to happen when they left at xx:21 and xx:51 in that the XC would often be late enough to delay the departure of the stopper from Oxford!  It's a bloody complex jigsaw, which might, ironically, be partly solved if and when EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) run between Didcot and Reading and the Oxford leg is a shuttle DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) service!

I think part of the answer is to decrease the headways by installing four aspect signalling.  It takes an age for some of the sections to 'clear to greens' after a train has gone in front, especially after leaving Tilehurst in the down direction, and Didcot in the up direction.  Another improvement would be to remodel Didcot East Junction to reduce conflicts and get all of the XC's running on the main lines to leave more room for stoppers and freight.

Anyway, hopefully it ended well as I looks like she would have just made the connection?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:45:17 »

Mrs GTBE made the connection thanks, but made the point that the up escalator on P15A at Reading is still closed following the accident on 6th (?) Jan.  However, all trains still stop at P15A, and everyone has to walk back to P15B to get up to the footbridge. It would be good if the trains could stop at P15B until the escalator is fixed.  Is that operationally not possible or is it just not worth ^going the extra mile^ for GWR (Great Western Railway) customers?

On the RL capacity point I accept that four aspect signalling will improve things.  I agree it's a complex jigsaw, but this should be resolved at the timetabling stage and not left to the signallers to sort out.   I know the wish (Western Route Study) is to run longer freights and to avoid looping them, but I would like to see all southbound freights given recovery time at Oxford North (whether in a loop or not) and have them setting off in a precise path to get them though to Basingstoke without messing up passenger trains.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 10:22:16 »

I know the wish (Western Route Study) is to run longer freights and to avoid looping them, but I would like to see all southbound freights given recovery time at Oxford North (whether in a loop or not) and have them setting off in a precise path to get them though to Basingstoke without messing up passenger trains.

Some of them do have a layover at Oxford North Junction, but even with a precise path it just takes a few minutes delay to a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service and they're screwed.  Passenger departures from Oxford are generally at xx:01, 07, 16, 31, 37 and 43.  The freights most often get a path through Oxford after the XC trains at around xx:19 or xx:48 (it varies the odd minute) which is pretty much as close behind the XC as they can be.  They then get a clear run to Didcot but are still (if bang on time) not going to reach there until a couple of minutes before the local stopper is due to leave Didcot.  An all that is before you factor in things coming from the east wanting to cross over onto the avoider at Didcot East Junction.  Another problem I didn't mention yesterday is the tortuously slow access into Didcot Yard from the east, where much of the station can be stopped for several minutes whilst long freights crawl in there at 5mph.

You could hold the freights on Didcot East Curve for them to run behind the stopper but that then presents them at Reading at often the wrong time to sensibly get through Southcote Junction on the equally busy stretch to Basingstoke and the SWML (South Western Mail Line) to Southampton.

I do wonder what the solution might be!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 11:30:34 »

I do wonder what the solution might be!

Get the freights to also pull the passenger carriages ?  Wink Grin
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 11:32:53 »

The answer may be that they are indeed timed to sit on Didcot East curve and follow the stopper, and then if necessary for pathing to sit on Reading West curve and wait for a properly-timed path to Basingstoke.  That would improve timetable robustness but would of course add journey time for freights, but is that so bad?  As I^ve said before, an extra journey time of 30 minutes for containers from Trafford Park to Southampton is no big deal when they^ll soon be on a boat doing 5 knots down Southampton Water and then 3 weeks getting to Japan or wherever.

We will not improve train performance on the Didcot ^ Reading RL^s until we stop trying to rush freights through with such tight margins that running just 3 minutes late messes up the passenger service.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 12:51:35 »

There is still room for the long lifted Up Goods Loop between Didcot East Jnc and Moreton Cutting.  The current batch of electrification masts do not foul the old formation. On a permissive block at 1 mi 9 ch, you should be able to stack two or three freights in there awaiting a path. The Up Goods Loop used to extend around Didcot East Curve as well.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 16:25:13 »

That's true, though I would suggest that land would be better used to part provide for the land that a grade separated Didcot East Junction would require.

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 14:10:56 »

The digital railway is the answer!
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 15:06:33 »

Haven’t had a moan for a while about Freight vs Passengers on the RL’s between Reading and Didcot, so here goes:

Yesterday evening Mrs GTBE caught the 1736 Padd – Oxford, 1D35, an HST (High Speed Train).  Left Reading on time, got to Tilehurst 5L having been held at Reading West J to allow 455R 1657 Southampton – Trafford Park FL to precede.

Looking at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website), 455R managed to delay another Class 1 train, 1K79 Bedwyn – Padd, for 5 minutes at Southcote J a few minutes earlier.  So a load of containers (who aren’t being met, looking forward to getting home etc) caused 10 minutes delay in the space of a few minutes to 2 Class 1 trains (full of passengers who are).

The timings for the FL are just 3 minutes in front of Class 1 trains at both Southcote J and Reading W J.  I would like to ask NR» (Network Rail - home page)’s timetable planners if they think this is a prudent way to devise a resilient timetable ie one where the effects of out of course running can quickly be smoothed out rather than escalating.

PS The digital railway is NOT the answer!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 16:19:11 »

Isn't that the freight which regularly causes a headache as it is too long for many of the loops enroute and once it gets going it has to plod on as it can't be "put inside" in many places?

I'm sure I remember a signalman telling me it had the potential to be a nightmare every evening peak.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 17:58:38 »

I believe GTBE has had a moan before about this specific service as discussed here  Smiley

455Rs actual code being 4M99
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 18:55:27 »

455Rs actual code being 4M99

It was 4M99 on 17th January (or possibly 16th). It was "running as" 455R yesterday, and as 489U today. I'm sure there's a good reason for that.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 19:15:55 »

Any code involving 3 numbers followed by a letter is simply randomised/scrambled. I believe the first number is usually correct which helps to identify the class of freight, class 4/6/7 etc.  4M99 is the actual code of this service and has been for many years.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 22:40:40 »

I think the headcodes are scrambled because the FOC (Freight Operating Company)'s are still worried about commercial sensitivities - on my internal systems it always shows correctly as 4M99, which can be a bit confusing when I
also often refer to realtimetrains, railcam and opentraintimes!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: