Delayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 02:13:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Late running stoppers  (Read 12216 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 23:11:28 »

I think the headcodes are scrambled because the FOC (Freight Operating Company)'s are still worried about commercial sensitivities - on my internal systems it always shows correctly as 4M99, which can be a bit confusing when I
also often refer to realtimetrains, railcam and opentraintimes!

That does sound odd as a reason, not least because it clearly ain't foolin' no-one.

I'd imagined that some part of the computerised stuff needs to distinguish the permanent template path from the one invoked on a given day to run a train. So a new identity is generated each time, but all the systems that can only handle one path ID have to choose which one to keep.

That makes sense to me - not that that's of any relevance, of course. I can also just about believe that the FOCs applied pressure to have that one appear in the data feeds, even if it wasn't the initial reason for having it.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 12:35:14 by stuving » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 08:23:30 »

That is the reason but I would have thought they would be more concerned about the origin and destination of the train - which are clearly visible.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 08:28:06 »

That is the reason but I would have thought they would be more concerned about the origin and destination of the train - which are clearly visible.

The origin and destinations of trains on line has killed the mystery that was available for mystery excursions too - a penalty of the information age!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 22:04:15 »

The origin and destinations of trains on line has killed the mystery that was available for mystery excursions too - a penalty of the information age!

I'm sure it is possibly to suppress details of some trains (eg the Royal Train and some Flying Scotsman trips), so if such mystery excursions still exist, these could be also ? ? 
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 09:50:39 »

Back to the main issue here.  2 points…

1   A “headway” of 3 minutes is misleading.  I don’t know what the exact length of 455R (4M99) is, or the distance to/from the signals involved, but if you calculate the time between the loco arriving at Reading West J, and the time the rear of the train clears the overlap of the next signal down the line, and then add on the time for 1D35 to get to Reading West J from a standing start from the signal it’s been waiting at, I think you’ll be left with something a lot less than 3 minutes 

2   Back in the 1980’s I was at BRB(resolve) HQ (Headquarters) (in 222 Marylebone Road, a fine building to work in).  We had many dealings with a department called Operational Research, who were developing mathematical modelling. (At this time the only computers were mainframes in large cupboards with lots of little water pipes to cool the components).  Anyway, one project that was done was the modelling of a busy junction in the SE Division where late running and regulation were causing problems.  The modelling allowed sensitivity analysis eg the effect of 1 train arriving 30 seconds late, and the time taken for the timetable to return to plan.  This informed tweaking of the timetable to minimise late running and the effects of late running, and also produced guidelines for regulation.   

I wonder if NR» (Network Rail - home page) do anything similar to-day?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 11:33:42 »

I think you will find find nobody does Operational Research or systems Analysis any more it's straight to designing the website. Hence the many rubbish systems.  You can't beat GIGO.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2017, 11:55:23 »

In terms of software, NR» (Network Rail - home page)/TOC (Train Operating Company)'s use systems like this, which can prove a timetable is robust and can be set to see what impact individual delays can have on other services. 

http://www.trapezegroup.com/pdf/solution_sheets/rail-simulations-solutions-sheet.pdf

Sometimes there are just too many trains and too many potential conflicts.  Freight trains through Reading West junction have also got to be pathed through Oxford Road Junction and Southcote Junction - all three being within a few miles of each other and all three being very busy.  The layout at West Junction is now SO much better than it was though, so whilst not perfect there are far fewer delays.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2017, 12:47:55 »

I have only limited experience of timetable planning (using PROTIM), but I don’t think we ever accepted the notion that there were too many trains and that delays were inevitable.  Paths could be moved and/or retimed and recovery time added etc.

Maybe the May and December timetable changes will be an improvement.  Good that NR» (Network Rail - home page)/TOC (Train Operating Company)’s have a package like Trapeze – I just hope it actually gets used to simulate train running around Southcote, Oxford Road and Reading West Junctions, and that some time and effort is put in to minimising the probability of Freights arriving late (ie less than 3 minutes) in the first place, and then to minimising the knock on delays when they do. 

Industry Insider, I accept that the remodelling of Reading is a big improvement, but the delays saved west of Reading are mainly on the ML’s and not the RL’s
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2017, 13:33:48 »

Maybe the May and December timetable changes will be an improvement.
Looks as if your wish has come true. From May it is routed round Reading West curve two minutes earlier than at present. 4M99
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2017, 16:59:25 »

Another signal on the relief line between Tilehurst and Pangbourne would help in my opinion.  4-aspects would mean a slow accelerating freight train would allow trains behind to get moving much quicker - currently a train a Tilehurst has to wait until the one in front has got beyond Pangbourne before it gets a green signal.  If it departs on a single yellow, sighting of the next signal at Purley isn't great,so drivers understandably crawl along to find that signal has usually long cleared to green. 

A very inefficient use of capacity, and a shame given the improvements in signal spacing between Reading and Tilehurst.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: