Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
15/04/24 21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
06:28 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 06:26:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] Okehampton
[119] The One-Way Wizzo
[59] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[53] From Melksham to Tallinn by train
[44] A two carriage train running back and forth - Swedish differen...
[30] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shenanigans at Paddington  (Read 9985 times)
CJB666

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2016, 10:06:25 »

The powers that be have switched platforms for GWR (Great Western Railway) locals and the Heathrow Connect. Platform !2 is now being used for the  GWR Oxford &/or Reading trains. Greenfords have been relegated to 13 / 14 - likely to get them out-of-way prior to them terminating at West Ealing.

The Heathrow Connect has been largely relegated to 11.

The problems with using 12 for GWR locals though are:

* Think ahead commuters used to touching in at 12 for the Connect suddenly find that it turns up at 11; they when have to rush round touching out of 12 and then trying to touch in at 11. The ever helpful(?) gateline staff let them through - causing many to incur a penalty fee on their Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) cards.

* Ditto for tourists with luggage heading for Heathrow

* Sometimes the Oxford is at the front of the split consist, whilst the minutes later Reading is at the buffer end. The gateline is well forward, so hapless passengers for Reading have to walk the length of 12, through the gateline, and then turn back to the buffer end.

CJB
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 11:04:55 »

May I present an alternative view as a long-term TWY (Twyford station)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) commuter?  Smiley

Admittedly it's only when I travel in the off-peak and weekends that I've had to use P13 & P14, but even so I'm rather cheesed-off at the number of times there's been a very last-minute announcement of a Reading stopper going from these platforms and I've become part of a mass sprint of people running the length of P12. On one very painful occasion I pulled a muscle in my knee and I was subsequently off work for a couple of weeks. Therefore I would welcome the Reading stoppers going from P12 even if I had to double-back after the barriers. However, yes there should be measures in place to ensure that HC passengers know where to go before touching in.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 11:20:30 »

May I present an alternative view as a long-term TWY (Twyford station)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) commuter?  Smiley

Admittedly it's only when I travel in the off-peak and weekends that I've had to use P13 & P14, but even so I'm rather cheesed-off at the number of times there's been a very last-minute announcement of a Reading stopper going from these platforms and I've become part of a mass sprint of people running the length of P12. On one very painful occasion I pulled a muscle in my knee and I was subsequently off work for a couple of weeks. Therefore I would welcome the Reading stoppers going from P12 even if I had to double-back after the barriers. However, yes there should be measures in place to ensure that HC passengers know where to go before touching in.

BBM I agree wholeheartedly and if it means that the days of mass sprints from the concourse to P13/14 thanks to the last minute announcements of platforms are over it can only be a good thing, from an overall H & S perspective as well as for my ageing knees!  Smiley
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 12:17:20 »

The problem with the Greenford's going from Platform 13/14 is that they have a very tight turn round, something like 4 minutes.

The auto announcer at Paddington will not announce the train until it has been routed into the platform and the train has passed the last signal at Royal Oak.  This gives passengers who aren't regular travellers a very limited amount of time to get from the maincourse to Platform 13 or 14.  Helped even less when the service is just a minute or two late....... unless they've found a way of working around that issue. 
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 14:33:06 »

then why leave it to the auto announcer.  Is there not a microphone somewhere in Paddington.  Staff at Bath seem generally view good about making appropriate manual announcements when needed.  Shame that they can't do it at Paddington. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 14:45:12 »

Bath announcers are GWR (Great Western Railway) staff, those at Paddington belong to Network Rail. 'nuff said.
insider

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 14:47:56 »

Its a manually controlled system at Paddington!!! Someone has to post the platform to the system then auto voice takes over.

It is best practice not to advertise the platform until it has been routed in, just in case it gets changed which causes more annoyance.

If the control person is busy say on the phone, making the tea or otherwise engaged at the precise moment the train is routed into the platform there may be a delay until the magic button gets pressed.

a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 16:59:16 »

Its a manually controlled system at Paddington!!! Someone has to post the platform to the system then auto voice takes over.

It is best practice not to advertise the platform until it has been routed in, just in case it gets changed which causes more annoyance.

If the control person is busy say on the phone, making the tea or otherwise engaged at the precise moment the train is routed into the platform there may be a delay until the magic button gets pressed.

Oh right, when we visited the control rooms and signalling centres we were lead to believe the departure screens were all automatic for LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) services, as soon as the headcode moves into the platform the departure screens are updated but there was a degree of manual control for HSS (High Speed Services) services. 
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 18:30:07 »

Passengers running to catch their train is a well-recognised safety hazard and some years ago there was a campaign at Reading imploring passengers not to run, particularly up and down stairs.  This of course didn^t stop them doing last minute platform changes for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))^s between P3 and P8 resulting in mad dashes through the subway or over the (old) footbridge.

The answer at Padd must be to have a rule that no train must be allowed to depart until 5 minutes after the departure platform has been announced and put on the screens.  I know operators prefer a train to leave half empty on time rather than a few minutes late with all the passengers who had been patiently waiting on the concourse for a platform announcement, but, sorry, you must allow passengers time to get to the platform safely. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 15:48:49 »

Any idea when this is starting? My trains from Taplow still seem to be coming into Platform 13 in the mornings.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: