27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 01:12:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • St Philip's Marsh Open Day: May 02, 2016
  • Forum meet W'spoons BRI: May 02, 2016
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: St Philip's Marsh Depot Open Day and Coffee Shop forum meetup, Bristol, 2 May 2016  (Read 88268 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2016, 16:47:51 »

I've read on another forum that St Phillips Marsh Depot will be open to the public on Bank Holiday Monday 2nd May 2016. This is in conjunction with the 40th anniversary of the HST (High Speed Train) entering passenger service.

Mention also that the first production power car, 43002, will be repainted in a historic livery.

No confirmation of any of this bar mention of 'internal sources', so no further details as yet.

Anyone here know more?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 16:43:04 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 19:14:14 »

I've read on another forum that St Phillips Marsh Depot will be open to the public on Bank Holiday Monday 2nd May 2016. This is in conjunction with the 40th anniversary of the HST (High Speed Train) entering passenger service.

Mention also that the first production power car, 43002, will be repainted in a historic livery.

No confirmation of any of this bar mention of 'internal sources', so no further details as yet.

Anyone here know more?

It is also a racing certainty that 'the Green One' will also be on display.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 10:19:26 »

in conjunction with the 40th anniversary of the HST (High Speed Train) entering passenger service ...[snip]... the first production power car, 43002, will be repainted in a historic livery.
I hope the 'historic livery' will be the 'famous first livery', ie. not the actual first livery with black but the blue and grey with the yellow end wraping-round onto the sides. And, to continue a discussion from the 'Advent Quiz' topic:

And it's my favourite Class 43 power car - 43003 Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I hope that one is preserved, including the nameplates, along with a few other members of the class and some mrk3s to run with them.
Hear, Hear! Just name 43002 'Sir Kenneth Grange' to honour the HST designer and retain 43002/3 in preservation as a pair.
I'd suggest 43002 in Blue & Grey with Sir Kenneth Grange nameplates and the original engine paired with the prototype 'Project Miller' powercar, although you'd have to come up with a clever coach livery to allow the blue and grey to reverse partway down the rake, and 43003 Isambard Kingdom Brunel paired with 43154 INTERCITY in Swallow livery but with their current MTU (Motor Traction Unit) engines (and 43003 keeping his* nameplates, even though I don't think it had them before 'barbie' came along).

I would be pretty sure that some HSTs would make it into preservation, based on the history of larger classes.  Being able to have them run as they were in their prime (at up to 125 m.p.h, in 2+8 formation) might be a bit of an ask.  Although they've got pretty good route availability, 2+2 from Lydney to Parkend, each car in a different livery and with paint flaking, would be a sad shadow of their former glory.
Maybe preserved IC125s wouldn't get to 125mph very often, but mainline certified steam locos can still get up a respectable speed (and Bittern was allowed up to 90mph to mark the special occasion of the A4 reunion and Mallard's record anniversary). I think with IC125 it is a choice of whether you preserve as a mainline-certified beast or just as a static exhibit, heritage railways are not really well suited. If static, you only need to preserve one mark 3, whereas you'd need at least 5 mrk3s (TGS-TS-TS-Buffet-FO) for it to look sensible if you're running it. With preserved locos, you want to run them with appropriate stock, so a 91 would need mrk4s** (similarly for steam, you want mrk1s or early mrk2s, anything newer like mrk2 air-cons doesn't give the right feel, a class 86 is easier as at looks at home on mrk1s, early mrk2s, mrk3s and air-con mrk2 stock).

* Male pronoun used because I.K.B. was a man, and surely a loco named after a man can hence be refered to using a male pronoun
** Is there an IC225 equivalent of the 125 group, because if so I might be interested in joining.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 13:24:40 »

I'd suggest 43002 in Blue & Grey with Sir Kenneth Grange nameplates and the original engine paired with the prototype 'Project Miller' powercar, although you'd have to come up with a clever coach livery to allow the blue and grey to reverse partway down the rake, and 43003 Isambard Kingdom Brunel paired with 43154 INTERCITY in Swallow livery but with their current MTU (Motor Traction Unit) engines (and 43003 keeping his* nameplates, even though I don't think it had them before 'barbie' came along).

...or they could paint it apple green and fit German-style smoke deflectors.  Smiley

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 14:04:20 »

...or they could paint it apple green and fit German-style smoke deflectors.  Smiley
Why would anyone do that? Assuming we're talking about the Flying Whatsit (as I think you called LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) steam loco 4472), not only is the combination of apple green and smoke deflectors historically incorrect (I think, I'm not an expert on its history), but the smoke deflectors make the loco look wrong so you'd only put them on if you were trying to be historically accurate.

But anyway, your point (relating to IC125s) is?

If you are refering to having 43003 carrying his name in a previous livery, I'd argue it makes more alot more sense than what has happened with the class 91s, where 91002 was 'Durham Cathedral' but that name is now carried by 91014 and 91001 (original name: 'Swallow') is now running around with 'Flying Scotsman' nameplates. Also, I think some previously nameless steam locomotives have been named after preservation.

Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 23:47:39 »

According to the 'UK (United Kingdom) HST (High Speed Train) Enthusiast Group' on Facebook, Mark Hopwood made an announcement today (28/01) confirming this open day at SPM (St Philip's Marsh (Bristol depot)) on 2nd May.

No idea where and to whom this announcement was made. Haven't been able to corroborate online.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 23:53:40 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 12:15:46 »

This has been posted as an event on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1680765778830585/
This exciting event will feature a number of steam, modern and vintage locomotives, including the #springboardtrain and will be celebrating the 40th anniversary of the HST (High Speed Train) and the SPM (St Philip's Marsh (Bristol depot)) Depot's 40th anniversary too. All proceeds to Springboard in our 30th year! Don't miss it!!
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 12:24:57 »

Is it too much to ask for a shuttle service to/from Temple Meads ?   Grin Smiley
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 13:18:12 »

Is it too much to ask for a shuttle service to/from Temple Meads ?   Grin Smiley
Is the depot hard to get to on foot from Temple Meads then (don't know Bristol at all well)?

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 19:10:46 »

It's a twenty minute (level) walk, according to google.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 12:50:46 »

Tickets now on sale - plus a free shuttle bus service from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI))!
https://twitter.com/springboard_og/status/697032534648078336/photo/1
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 13:10:50 by Rob on the hill » Logged
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 14:10:36 »

Tickets now on sale - plus a free shuttle bus service from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI))!
https://twitter.com/springboard_og/status/697032534648078336/photo/1

Having trouble getting to that link posted on twitter !!.
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 14:38:40 »

Try Facebook?
https://www.facebook.com/events/1680765778830585/

Or:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/st-philips-marsh-open-day-gwr-celebrates-40-years-of-the-high-speed-train-tickets-21307480247?aff=ebrowse
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 20:58:07 by Rob on the hill » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 14:48:35 »

A post on another forum has a list of rolling stock attendees at the open day.

Subject: St Philips Marsh Open day
locos/units confirmed subject to availability:

-Class 08 08663
-Class 08 08822
-Class 20 20001
-Class 20 20205
-Class 31 31162
-Class 35 D7017
-Class 40 40013
-Class 41 41001
-Class 43 Virgin Trains East Coast
-Class 43 Great Western Railway
-Class 43 East Midland Trains
-Class 43 Cross Country Trains
-Class 43 43040 (BR (British Rail(ways)) Blue and Yellow livery)
-Class 46 46045
-Class 50 50049
-Class 57 GWR (Great Western Railway) Green
-Class 66 GBRF
-GWR Green Turbo
-GWR Green Class 150
-GWR Springboard Livery 158798

-Avon Fire and Rescue Road Rail

Other steam and heritage diesels will be confirmed nearer the time
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2475600&postcount=22

Not officially confirmed anywhere but looks like a good lineup. Noteworthy are the appearances by HST (High Speed Train) prototype 41001 and 43040 'Bristol St Philips Marsh' in original BR HST livery. Hope the latter keeps that livery in traffic for a while.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 17:36:43 »

https://www.gwr.com/explore-the-west/st-phillips-marsh

I know its for charity but ^14 a ticket seems a little on the high side to me?  Having been to numerous BR (British Rail(ways)) open days that were a token entry fee in the 70's and 80's perhaps I'm out of touch?  The DRS (Direct Rail Services Ltd) open day in Crewe is a fiver to get in.

http://www.directrailservices.com/news-articles/2016/01/21/date-announced-drs-charity-open-day-2016/

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: