10:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
15:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 15:15:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[279] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[220] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[109] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[37] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[33] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[16] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • St Philip's Marsh Open Day: May 02, 2016
  • Forum meet W'spoons BRI: May 02, 2016
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: St Philip's Marsh Depot Open Day and Coffee Shop forum meetup, Bristol, 2 May 2016  (Read 88233 times)
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2016, 10:12:06 »

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R00819/2016/04/30/advanced

Class 31 D5580, class 40 D213, class 46 D182, class 50 50035 and GBRf class 66.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2016, 20:27:14 »

Some more timings. We got ourselves a convoy!

http://www.125group.org.uk/hsts-head-for-bristol/

High Speed Train power cars of many colours will be departing from all over the UK (United Kingdom) for Bristol over this weekend, heading for St.Philips Marsh public Open Day on Monday 2nd May.  Prototype 41001 and 125 Group^s Mk3 coaches are also being prepared for the trip from their home base at Ruddington Great Central Railway (Nottingham) to the Great Western Railway.

Tickets are still available for what promises to be a very memorable open day celebrating 40 Years of HSTs (High Speed Train). The event is being hosted by Great Western Railway in aid of Springboard Opportunity Group.  For more information and to book tickets CLICK HERE.

This is a summary of the non-passenger convoys planned however please note, as always, this information is provided in good faith but these movements can change at short notice on the day subject to operational constraints, the trains may run early or late or be cancelled. Live schedule links are shown where available courtesy of Realtime Trains.

Saturday 30th April

0750 Craigentinny to Heaton, formed of Virgin Power Car 43300 + Virgin Trailer First 41190 + NMT Power Car 43013.  http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K96080/2016/04/30/advanced

1339 Heaton to Etches Park, formed of Virgin Power Car 43300 + NMT Power Car 43013 + Grand Central Power Car 43423 + Virgin Trailer First 41190.  http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K96081/2016/04/30/advanced

Sunday 31st April

5Z42 1619 Etches Park to Hotchley Hill (GCRN Rushcliffe Halt), formed of Virgin Power Car 43300 + NMT Power Car 43013 + Grand Central Power Car 43423 + Virgin Trailer First 41190 + East Midlands Trains Power Car 43048.

Prototype Power Car 41001 + 125 Group Mk3s 12092 + 10206 + 11074 are expected to depart from Ruddington at 1645 heading for Rushcliffe Halt, including a run-round at 50 Steps.

5Z43 1925 Hotchley Hill (GCRN Rushcliffe Halt) to Bristol St.Philips Marsh, formed of Virgin Power Car 43300 + NMT Power Car 43013 + Grand Central Power Car 43423 + Prototype Power Car 41001 + 125 Group Mk3s 12092 + 10206 + 11074 + Virgin Trailer First 41190 + East Midlands Trains Power Car 43048.

The convoy is planned to return north from Bristol early on Tuesday 3rd May.

Date error is the 125 Group's. 31st April indeed!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 20:33:58 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2016, 22:44:14 »

From my inbox, a message from the event organiser:

A Message from Ann Ramsey:  Apologies if you receive this more than once.

Dear Open Day Visitors,

Not long to go now, just a quick update and a few reminders.

First of all the GWR (Great Western Railway) organisers have asked me to send you the following:

"Unfortunately due to various operational issues beyond our control, Rood Ashton Hall, The Earl of Mount Edgcumbe and Tangmere will not be appearing at the St Philips Marsh Open Day. However LMS (London Midland Scottish - 1923 to 1948) locomotive, Royal Scot, is already at the depot and will be part of the Open Day. Some other exhibits may also not be the specific locomotive previously advertised. We hope this will not dampen your enjoyment of what will be a fantastic day".

Special Livery Unveiling: This is planned for approximately 11.30

Tickets: Please bring your ticket in either paper form or on your mobile phone. 

Payment at the gate is by CASH only, Nearest ATM(resolve) is at nearby Sainsburys store.

Travelling to the event:

Free shuttle bus every 15 minutes from Bristol Temple Meads, most are fully accessible and there are many public buses running along A4 Bath Road, adjacent to Albert Road.

Parking: There is no parking on the site. Bristol Wholesale Fruit Market (BS2 0YQ) is ^3 all day and there are stewards on site. Look for signs on Albert Road and for walking directions to the event.

Parking for disabled and people with mobility needs is best in Avon Meads Retail Park. Avon Street, (BS2 0SP)Park at the SHOWCASE CINEMA end, with access along a small road which is also the KFC drive thru, so please take care. Look for the signs and  Stewards will able to help and give guidance.

Food and Drink: Various caterers will be at the event, but bringing your own food is acceptable.

Stalls: Over 20 will be attending selling all types of rail related items and goodies.

Raffle: There will be a Springboard raffle at ^5 per ticket, 1st Prize a 2 hour session on the Rail Simulator in the GWR Training School, date TBA, and a few other prizes. We are also hoping to hold a Silent Auction for a few special bits and pieces. 

Programmes: Individually numbered limited edition of 2000 commemorative programmes, with a mug and a pin badge are on sale at ^15 each. Mugs are also available to buy seperately at ^5 each.

Safety: Venue is  working rail depot and some areas will be on uneven terrain so please wear appropriate footwear.

Weather: It might be wet and a bit windy; enough said!

Enjoyment: Expected and encouraged!

I'll do my best to help with any queries. See you all Monday.

Best regards,

Ann

I'm a bit concerned at the suggestion of parking at Avonmeads Retail Park. This may be the domain of a Private Parking Company and there may well be 'rules' on time limits and using the car park only for visiting the stores/restaurants etc therein. I hope permission has been sought.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 22:58:53 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2016, 06:52:45 »

"Unfortunately due to various operational issues beyond our control, Rood Ashton Hall, The Earl of Mount Edgcumbe and Tangmere will not be appearing at the St Philips Marsh Open Day. However LMS (London Midland Scottish - 1923 to 1948) locomotive, Royal Scot, is already at the depot and will be part of the Open Day. Some other exhibits may also not be the specific locomotive previously advertised. We hope this will not dampen your enjoyment of what will be a fantastic day."

I can't but help think that if regular rail passengers had three out of four advertised trains cancelled / withdrawn at the last minute, there would be all hell to pay. The fact that these changes can be made just a couple of days ahead is testament to the good nature of the 'enthusiast' (used in its widest sense) community and to just how commonplace changes are to special services / heritage operations.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2016, 10:27:42 »

"Unfortunately due to various operational issues beyond our control, Rood Ashton Hall, The Earl of Mount Edgcumbe and Tangmere will not be appearing at the St Philips Marsh Open Day. However LMS (London Midland Scottish - 1923 to 1948) locomotive, Royal Scot, is already at the depot and will be part of the Open Day. Some other exhibits may also not be the specific locomotive previously advertised. We hope this will not dampen your enjoyment of what will be a fantastic day."

I can't but help think that if regular rail passengers had three out of four advertised trains cancelled / withdrawn at the last minute, there would be all hell to pay. The fact that these changes can be made just a couple of days ahead is testament to the good nature of the 'enthusiast' (used in its widest sense) community and to just how commonplace changes are to special services / heritage operations.

As a daily commuter who uses GWRs (Great Western Railway) services, take it from me that the scenario you describe is far from unusual! (however we rely on them to get to work and home again afterwards, not just to look at, hence a bit harder to be "good natured" in those circumstances!)  - have a good day all, and enjoy a few ales afterwards! I will be at Twickenham, hopefully watching the Senior Service beat Fiji 2nd XV!  Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2016, 12:00:09 »

It's been confirmed by the organisers that they have permission for visitors to the Open Day to use the Avonmeads Retail Park car parks.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2016, 12:28:01 »

The HST (High Speed Train) power car convoy (including prototype 41001) timings are now on Realtime Trains:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K96085/2016/05/01/advanced

And their return north on Tuesday 3rd May:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K96086/2016/05/03/advanced
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 12:39:55 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2016, 15:09:58 »

Those who have bought tickets, are they print-at-home so that I can make my mind up whether or not I'm going on Sunday evening?

Online ticket sales now closed. Limited number of gate tickets, cash only, on the day dependent on capacity.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2016, 19:33:01 »

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) weather forecast for Bristol tomorrow looks 'not too bad' - some rain, perhaps, in the afternoon.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2016, 21:38:31 »

Looking forward to this one tomorrow, the bus from Swindon not so much though.  Grin Roll Eyes

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2016, 21:42:00 »

HST (High Speed Train) convoy is on its way.

9 vehicles in a HST set used to be quite common in BR (British Rail(ways))/GWT/FGW (First Great Western) days, with a 2+7 consist.

I doubt there's ever been a 5+4 consist before!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0NZZonFHcc

As I type the convoy is just making its way down Lickey, 75 early.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K96085/2016/05/01/advanced

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2016, 21:51:30 »

I don't think modellers can moan about other model railways not being prototypically correct ever again!
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2016, 22:27:11 »

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R00819/2016/04/30/advanced

Class 31 D5580, class 40 D213, class 46 D182, class 50 50035 and GBRf class 66.

And here would be this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLx5F7FWC48
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2016, 08:05:17 »

Looking forward to this one tomorrow, the bus from Swindon not so much though.  Grin Roll Eyes

There's been a great deal of positive feedback about the rail replacement services during "TPOD"s (Total Period of Disruption, as I recall) and indeed a good job has been done.   Alas, less so today.

I had been hoping to come along, but I'm at work until 13:30 ... and the first service offered to me thereafter is the 13:48 from Melksham, getting me to Temple Meads at 16:09 ... 141 minutes including 2 buses and 52 minutes between them to enjoy Chippenham Station.    My very final service back is the the 19:00, dropping me off at Melksham Station at 21:25 - that's 145 minutes;  I could travel back at 18:45 in a mere 63 minutes.

If the meet up were tomorrow, the 14:30 would get me to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) at 15:40 and the 18:52 back would have me in MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains) at 19:46 - still not brilliant when compared to the next town of Bradford-on-Avon from where (today) the 14:22 gets to Bristol at 14:48 and the 19:22 return gets back at 19:46.

If I'm feeling up to it, I may d-r-i-v-e to B-o-A ... otherwise I'll wish you a good one and say "sorry to have missed the meet".

Why aren't trains reversing at Chippenham from the West today?   Other engineering work taking advantage of the closure at Swindon, perhaps??

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2016, 08:59:51 »

You won't be alone in being forced to drive today if you do come along, grahame. Bristol really isn't very easy to get to from the east at all.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: