Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:16:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • St Philip's Marsh Open Day: May 02, 2016
  • Forum meet W'spoons BRI: May 02, 2016
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: St Philip's Marsh Depot Open Day and Coffee Shop forum meetup, Bristol, 2 May 2016  (Read 87988 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2016, 23:22:08 »

I'd love to know the grand total raised for Springboard today - it must be a sizeable amount.

From one of my contacts at the Great Western Railway press office:

While final figures are still being calculated, we are looking at some 5,000 visitors on the day, raising somewhere tens of thousands for Springboard. I will issue a final figure in due course.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2016, 00:28:39 »

4700 attendance apparently. 3800 pre-sales and 900 gate tickets. ^14 per adult ticket. Added to that, commerative goody bags at ^15. 2000 of those.

Grapevine on the day suggested corporate donations from other train operators whose locos were there. Pitch fees from the railwayana stands and catering outlets are also, I believe, going to Springboard Opportunity Group.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2016, 08:38:49 »

RAIL Magazine is suggested a figure of ^20,000.

The 40th anniversary of the High Speed Train was celebrated at an open day at St Philips Marsh depot on May 2.

The open day attracted 5,000 visitors, with funds raised donated to Springboard Opportunity Group. GWR (Great Western Railway) spokesman Dan Panes told RAIL that more than ^20,000 was likely to have been raised at the event.

Also at the open day, Colas Rail 47749 was renamed City of Truro, albeit without ceremony. The locomotive, one of a batch of ^47s^ delivered to the Western Region, carried that name from June 8 1965 until October 1988. Colas removed the Demelza name it had carried since September 2007 in favour of its original name.

GWR also displayed examples of its fleet, with Classes 08, 43, 57, 150, 158 and 166 attending the event, along with main line and preserved locomotives, many of which were regular visitors to Bristol.

For more on the event, and a list of what attended the open day, read RAIL 800, published on May 11.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2016, 21:10:23 »

An official GWR (Great Western Railway) behind the scenes video of the preparation of St Phillips Marsh for the open day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRwmsZBMvmY

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2016, 00:07:44 »

I certainly enjoyed the open day at St Phillips Marsh even though I was pretty tired  after having only a few hours sleep because I didn't finish work til 0345.   Some of you may had spotted me as I was wearing my black National Express coat.

Anyway here is a photo I took earlier of 43002 on the rear of the 1521 Swansea - London Paddington service plus a few from the open day :  https://www.flickr.com/photos/13416874@N03/26832405371/in/dateposted-public/

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2016, 15:29:48 »

I'm amused at the level of detail that went into 43002's repaint.  The original 'Guard' sign on the power car door has been recreated - even if it was only accurate for a very short time until the Guard's were moved from this very noisy compartment to the TGS.  Hope nobody goes looking there for a guard!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2016, 04:58:04 »

Comment on why the whole set wasn't painted from Rail Magazine

Great Western Railway^s plans to repaint a full rake of Mk 3s in blue and grey, to match 43002 Sir Kenneth Grange, were scuppered by the need to comply with Disability Discrimination Act (DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about)) rules

With a well informed commentator suggesting

Err.. DDA was repealed by the Equality Act in 2010. Also is the Rail Vehicle Accessibility Regulations 2010 and the Rail Vehicle Accessibility (Interoperable Rail System) Regulations 2008 that apply to pre-1998 rolling stock if and when they are refurbished, which would include re-livery.

The relative cost of painting one carriage versus a whole set wasn't mentioned, but I suppose that's simply not relevant if it would be illegal.  And the odd train needs repainting from time to time, even if most have now had their final refurb.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2016, 05:39:05 »

The article also says:

Under DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about) rules, doors must be a different colour scheme to that of the main bodyside, so that they are distinguishable to passengers with visibility problems.

Which has prompted the comment:

I suspect doors are differently coloured to assist passengers with vision, rather than visibility, problems. If any GWR (Great Western Railway) passengers have, indeed, developed invisibility, we should like a photograph ;-)

Must try harder RAIL. Article written by the Assistant Editor no less. I wonder if the inaccuracies are in the print version too.  Roll Eyes

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2016, 11:10:30 »

The article also says:

Under DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about) rules, doors must be a different colour scheme to that of the main bodyside, so that they are distinguishable to passengers with visibility problems.

Which has prompted the comment:

I suspect doors are differently coloured to assist passengers with vision, rather than visibility, problems. If any GWR (Great Western Railway) passengers have, indeed, developed invisibility, we should like a photograph ;-)

Must try harder RAIL. Article written by the Assistant Editor no less. I wonder if the inaccuracies are in the print version too.  Roll Eyes
Here's one of those passengers referred to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2MpzKb-o6M
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2016, 16:03:44 »

I'd love to know the grand total raised for Springboard today - it must be a sizeable amount.
From one of my contacts at the Great Western Railway press office:
While final figures are still being calculated, we are looking at some 5,000 visitors on the day, raising somewhere tens of thousands for Springboard. I will issue a final figure in due course.

From my contact at Great Western Railway:

Over £25,000 raised by Bristol Depot Open Day

Great Western Railway’s open day at their St Philips Marsh depot, Bristol, has raised more than £25,000 for a local charity.

Announced at Springboard’s Autumn Ball at Cadbury House Country Club, GWR (Great Western Railway) Driver Operations Manager Simon Cassidy presented a cheque for £26,000 to Springboard’s Joint CEO (Chief Executive Officer) and a founding parent, Ann Ramsey.

Ann said: “This is a first for us and a truly staggering amount of money. By helping to raise funds for and promoting Springboard and the needs of disabled children, GWR are helping to break down barriers and assumptions. GWR really have pulled out all the stops to make the open day a memorable one and the money raised shows how successful it was. Springboard are proud to have been part of the open day and we are amazed and delighted by the interest shown by the public.”

Springboard is a north Somerset charity providing support for children with disabilities from birth to aged 5.

The depot opened up its doors to the general public in May in celebration of the 40th year of the Intercity 125 train, and unveiled a specially liveried locomotive in honour of the train’s designer Sir Kenneth Grange. On display was a range of both steam and diesel locomotives, including Intercity 125 High Speed Train locomotives from all over the country.

Driver Operations Manager Simon Cassidy said: “Committed to the communities we serve, we have long-supported Springboard and it is fantastic to have raised such an impressive amount. We at GWR are only too aware of the vital role rail has played and continues to play for the local and national economy. To have people queuing to enter the depot and see how it operates day-to-day, and to see such a selection of trains, is humbling.”   

Members of the public were offered the opportunity to look inside the depot buildings and get a flavour of the work that is carried out 24 hours a day to help maintain, refuel and clean the GWR fleet. Tickets were made available by GWR with all proceeds from the event being donated to Springboard.

Children at Springboard may have a wide range of disabilities including: autism; cerebral palsy; complex health and medical needs; Down’s syndrome; sensory impairments; language and communication difficulties.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2016, 16:49:52 »

A huge well done to all involved and to GWR (Great Western Railway) for making this possible to raise money for such a worthy cause.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: