I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:53:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: "A train from Sheffield to Essex cost ^50^ So I flew home via BERLIN to save ^8"  (Read 11177 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2016, 07:03:31 »

An interesting article from MoneySavingExpert.com suggesting that two flights plus all the connections is far cheaper than a single rail ticket from Sheffield to Shenfield
International flights with some budget airlines can be cheaper than a rail trip to the next town ^ crazy right? This means if you have the luxury of time, your MoneySaving can really take off when you fly between UK (United Kingdom) destinations via a European city rather than taking the train.

I always go the extra mile to save money, but last week I went the extra 1,017 miles and saved ^7.72 by getting back to Essex from Sheffield via Berlin ^ I even had enough Euros spare for a currywurst sausage by the Brandenburg Gate^ Wunderbar!

continues
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/deals-hunter/2016/01/26/flew-home-via-berlin-cheaper-than-train/
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 07:46:18 »

Not only international flights. I am flying Easyjet from Bristol to Newcastle on Sunday evening and back on Friday lunchtime (hour in the air) for the princely sum of ^23 each way....as opposed to ^150 return and 6 hours each way on the train. Much as I like train travel, the money saved and time saved makes this a no brainer.
And next week flying Bristol to Dublin with Ryanair for ^9 each way giving me 14 hours in the Irish capital. Didn't even begin to look up the train and ferry equivalent !
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:16:40 by chuffed » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 08:54:45 »

Not only international flights. I am flying Easyjet from Bristol to Newcastle on Sunday evening and back on Friday lunchtime (hour in the air) for the princely sum of ^23 each way....as opposed to ^150 return and 6 hours each way on the train. Much as I like train travel, the money saved and time saved makes this a no brainer.

Yes, getting decent long distance advance fares on Cross Country often seems to be far more difficult than it should be.  In fact, it's often cheaper to get advances via London on GWR (Great Western Railway)/VTEC than on the direct XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) route.  Unacceptable, as there is clearly demand for rail travel on that sort of route but the franchise isn't set up to be able to encourage it.  Perhaps, given the progressive franchises let recently to TPE (Trans Pennine Express) and Northern, there is hope that the next XC franchise will specify a decent amount of capacity improvements.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 09:02:55 »

Yes, getting decent long distance advance fares on Cross Country often seems to be far more difficult than it should be.  In fact, it's often cheaper to get advances via London on GWR (Great Western Railway)/VTEC than on the direct XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) route.  Unacceptable, as there is clearly demand for rail travel on that sort of route but the franchise isn't set up to be able to encourage it.  Perhaps, given the progressive franchises let recently to TPE (Trans Pennine Express) and Northern, there is hope that the next XC franchise will specify a decent amount of capacity improvements.
Yup, XC just don't have the seats to sell thanks to the very shortsightedness of the SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about) at the time deciding 4/5 carriage trains were the answer to the already overcrowded XC routes  Roll Eyes
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 10:40:16 »

I don't think the issue is 4/5 carriage trains but the frequency of trains.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 12:46:05 »

Really don't see how you can increase the frequency on the Bristol Birmingham Derby Sheffield Leeds Newcastle line. It's half hourly as it is. A increase in carriage numbers would be welcome to ease the overcrowding but are there the trains and carriages available to XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) ?
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 14:01:38 »

There should be a 15 service from Bristol-Cheltenham-Birmingham corridor once the four tracking of Filton has been done.

This would help a lot.

I appreciate that longer trains would help, but I have missed by minutes a few trains in the last week, and a 15 minute is better than 30 minutes or an hour.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 16:08:27 »

Yes, getting decent long distance advance fares on Cross Country often seems to be far more difficult than it should be.

Indeed. Getting any decent long-distance fares on CrossCountry is hard enough: their walk-up fares are prohibitive by walk-up standards, especially with the blanket 09.30 off-peak start.

In fact, I should expand that: getting any decent fares set by CrossCountry is pretty impossible. Charlbury-Birmingham via Worcester, for example, is ^40.50 SOR or ^39.90 SVR - a route where no-one would ever take an XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service yet is set by XC. (A Worcester split brings the price down to ^24 for an off-peak day return, and of course it's cheaper still with a Network or Cotswold Line card. There were previously a few Black Country destinations where fares were set by LM (London Midland - recent franchise) and therefore more reasonable, but XC have now nabbed most of those too.)

Unacceptable, as there is clearly demand for rail travel on that sort of route but the franchise isn't set up to be able to encourage it.  Perhaps, given the progressive franchises let recently to TPE (Trans Pennine Express) and Northern, there is hope that the next XC franchise will specify a decent amount of capacity improvements.

Arriva did, of course, trumpet the introduction of five HSTs (High Speed Train) from December 2008 to increase capacity.

They still have them on hire, but choose to only operate 3 diagrams on Mondays; 3 1/2 on Fridays and Sundays (one set has nothing before 1pm); and 2 on Tue-Thu and Sat. That's just 18 diagrams a week for a fleet of 5. Even GWR (Great Western Railway) get more than that out of their famously unreliable 180 fleet.

I realise it might not always be fashionable to say so around here, but every time I travel by XC or ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))), I'm thankful that my local line is run by First.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 08:50:20 »

getting decent long distance advance fares on Cross Country often seems to be far more difficult than it should be.  In fact, it's often cheaper to get advances via London on GWR (Great Western Railway)/VTEC than on the direct XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) route

I can only agree 100% with this and other similar comments on this thread.
I'm a very frequent traveller from stations in the Reading area to stations in the Leeds area.
If I do an open search you can spot any routes that take in XC (even for a small part) a mile off. There may be fewer changes but it takes just as long as GWR/VTEC and costs 50-100% more.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 14:53:36 »

I don't think the issue is 4/5 carriage trains but the frequency of trains.

The 4/5 carriage trains are certainly not helping. I stood from Temple Meads to Birmingham last time I got the train to Blackpool, and it was off-peak.

I researched the same journey by air, via Dublin. It was far cheaper, but had a window of less than an hour to change planes. I checked times for all Ryanair's flights to see if it could have been the same aircraft - that happened to me in Spain, having come into Madrid from Valencia then run like crazy through two terminals - but it didn't look like it. Nice though Dublin is, I didn't want to risk an unscheduled stopover. Ryanair would certainly not have put me up at their expense.

Now, please!
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 19:40:59 »

Nice though Dublin is, I didn't want to risk an unscheduled stopover. Ryanair would certainly not have put me up at their expense.
This is the huge risk with the split flights method - the airline has no responsibility for you or the second flight, if the first one is delayed.  That ^7 saving could soon become expenditure on a last minute hotel and new flight home.

However, if the second flight is delayed/cancelled and you are stranded abroad and EU261 applies to your flight, the airline has a duty of care towards you (meals, accommodation, phone calls, etc)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 20:05:30 »

I had researched that too. It seemed that even though both flights were Ryanair, I would not be covered as an independent traveller.

Now, please!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 22:05:43 »

I had researched that too. It seemed that even though both flights were Ryanair, I would not be covered as an independent traveller.

When I went EasyJet, LGW-Athens, and Ryanair Athens-Chania last year, my ^3 travel insurance did however cover a missed connection as long as the connection was within the airports minimum connection time (airport connection time was defined as scheduled arrival time to gate closure time advertised on my ticket).

Athens minimum connection time is 45 minutes, gates closed for my onward flight 30 mins before departure so I needed to arrive 1 hr 15 before the advertised departure to be covered. I risked 90 minutes from arrival to departure, but it was a success with the LGW-Athens flight arriving 30 early.

A quick glance its a lot cheaper to fly London-Alicante-Newquay than an off peak single for 27th April at an example.

London - Alicante 40 Euros
Alicante - Newquay 30 Euros
70 euros= ^53.33

Train Paddington - Newquay ^60, ^78.70 or ^134.50 dependent on time of day.

I don't count food etc as would eat food regardless of flights

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 22:11:12 »

I don't count food etc as would eat food regardless of flights
Water and other soft drinks can be quite pricey at some airports, compared to the railway.  I've paid ^2.60 for a small bottle at Nice Shocked

Fortunately, most airports still have potable water taps in the terminal where bottles can be refilled (empty bottles of any size are permitted through security).  Obviously Stansted is the exception to this, where all the water fountains (except one, which is fairly hidden) were removed during the recent "improvements".
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 22:23:10 »

Just out of interest, how much would a coach journey cost? NatEx, Megabus etc
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: