Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:15:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Train crash near Bad Aibling in Bavaria 9th February 2016  (Read 16847 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2016, 11:25:17 »

Two local trains collided head-on near Bad Aibling in Bavaria at 06:48 this morning. Early reports indicate at least eight deaths and many injuries.

This is a single-track line with passing possible at most stations, and these two trains were timetabled to cross at or near Kolbermoor. The service runs from Munich to Rosenheim via a reversal at Holzkirchen. The areas is not really remote, but the crash site is surrounded by woodland and access has been difficult.

The operator is Meridian, a subsidiary of Transdev. Veolia are trying to sell their 50% of Transdev to the Caisse des d^ts et consignations (CDC) i.e. the French state, which owns the other half.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 11:27:57 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Germany train crash: Several killed near Bavarian town of Bad Aibling

Two passenger trains have collided in the German state of Bavaria, with police saying at least eight people have been killed and scores injured.

The head-on crash happened near Bad Aibling, a spa town about 60km (37 miles) south-east of Munich.

The trains' operator said both trains had partially derailed and were wedged into each other.

Emergency teams worked for hours to free some casualties from the wreckage.

Regional police said in a tweet (in German) that eight people were dead and about 100 injured, of whom 50 were seriously hurt.

The drivers of both trains and two train guards were among those killed, regional broadcaster Bayerischer Rundfunk said, quoting police.

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 11:44:20 »

I was on the BOB/Meridian network in November.  Lovely modern trains (Stadler FLIRTs I think), running on single tracks which wind slowly though forests and up and down some surprisingly steep gradients.  Plenty of reversing and portion working on the network. The contrast between the high quality stock and the clearly secondary nature of the line was striking.

My sympathy to those effected by this horrible accident. 
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 12:29:02 »

Latest reports state 9 dead.
Very sad indeed, I am sure that our thoughts are with the bereaved and injured.

This sad accident is perhaps an example of the merits of electrifying even secondary routes, had DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) been involved then fire would have been a real risk and could have added to the death toll.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 13:16:14 »

This sad accident is perhaps an example of the merits of electrifying even secondary routes, had DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) been involved then fire would have been a real risk and could have added to the death toll.

By removing a fire hazard in this way (diesel fuel isn't particularly flammable anyway), you then surely introduce a different and equally real risk of electrocution?
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 13:37:43 »

Death toll has risen to 10 and includes the drivers of both trains.  http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/09/bavaria-train-crash-german-police-report-deaths-and-injuries

Federal police spokesman Stefan Brandl cautioned that the toll would change. He said: ^The current number of dead and injured is a snapshot; this can and will change.^
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 13:57:29 »

Dreadful news my thoughts to all those involved.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 14:42:20 »

By removing a fire hazard in this way (diesel fuel isn't particularly flammable anyway), you then surely introduce a different and equally real risk of electrocution?

Diesel fuel is indeed not that flammable, being much safer than petrol for example. Diesel fuel sprayed over a hot engine or exhaust system is however liable to ignite and has done so with fatal results.
OHLE has a good record of safety in the aftermath of accidents, in the event of collision or derailment that does NOT bring down the overhead, then it will normally remain live, but safely out of reach. The only significant risk is then to survivors or rescuers who are on top of the train and within reach of the overhead.
If the accident DOES bring down the overhead, then this is virtually certain to trip out within a fraction of a second as it contacts the train, the running rails, or supporting structures.

Persons within a train are safe from electric shock even if the live OHLE touches the train. Persons outside of the train are at some risk, but this is minimal for reasons already given.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 15:11:34 »

Diesel fuel is indeed not that flammable, being much safer than petrol for example. Diesel fuel sprayed over a hot engine or exhaust system is however liable to ignite and has done so with fatal results.
OHLE has a good record of safety in the aftermath of accidents, in the event of collision or derailment that does NOT bring down the overhead, then it will normally remain live, but safely out of reach. The only significant risk is then to survivors or rescuers who are on top of the train and within reach of the overhead.
If the accident DOES bring down the overhead, then this is virtually certain to trip out within a fraction of a second as it contacts the train, the running rails, or supporting structures.

Persons within a train are safe from electric shock even if the live OHLE touches the train. Persons outside of the train are at some risk, but this is minimal for reasons already given.

Does OHLE have any equipment such as autoreclosers (as found in power distribution networks) to deal with temporary short circuits?

Either way, it's probably best to put the effort into ensuring situations like this don't occur in the first place rather than trying to make the aftermath safer.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 22:11:05 »

I understand this route and these trains have auto emergency braking immediately in the event of passing a red signal, which if functioning correctly should make a head on crash like this impossible.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 11:28:00 »

The final official figures for the accident are 10 deaths, 17 seriously injured and 63 less serious. The cause is still given as a technical problem or human error, under investigation.

Once you know there is a protection system on these trains that will apply the brakes if a red signal is passed, (PZB 90), such an accident can only happen if this system (or the signals it relies on) fails or it is disabled. And the German press have been reporting since yesterday that it was human error - specifically that a local signaller overrode the interlocking to allow the second train into a single-track section, "because it was late".

There is no officially comment on that, and indeed it looks as if it comes from one news agency (RND). I wonder if it could be based on very little evidence - such as overhearing a short snatch of a phone call. So while it looks to me a likely explanation in terms of what was done, I'm sure that when the details of "why" come out they will be rather different. 

Despite that explanation being around, the French press have seized their chance to have a go at Transdev. Apparently Transdev/Meridian have had a lot of problems with their new Swiss trains (Stadler FLIRT 3), some of which have been sent back for rectification. Some of these issues may affect other FLIRT 3 models, though the reports struggle to link this with safety. Even less relevant are the pantograph/catenary problems they have had. 
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 16:08:24 »

Despite that explanation being around, the French press have seized their chance to have a go at Transdev. Apparently Transdev/Meridian have had a lot of problems with their new Swiss trains (Stadler FLIRT 3), some of which have been sent back for rectification. Some of these issues may affect other FLIRT 3 models, though the reports struggle to link this with safety. Even less relevant are the pantograph/catenary problems they have had. 

The FLIRT3 problems clearly have no link with this crash.  However, looking at some of the appalling photos of the crash on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) website , I was struck by how badly the trains performed structurally in the crash.  One of the trains essentially had the side wall prised off the rest of the train so that the other train was able to drive into the passenger space and cause so many injuries.  I am not a structural engineer, and maybe that kind of damage was inevitable at a 120 mph closing speed.  But I would have hoped that a modern train would perform better in a crash.  The UK (United Kingdom)'s last fatal crash demonstrated that the Pendolino (nasty, cramped, smelly train though they are) perform very well in a crash at very similar speed and I do wonder if trains in Germany are as crash-worthy as some of the UK's trains (although we obviously have some less safe stock too - I was on the S Wales mainline in a pacer on Tuesday morning and the wind made me realise just how flimsy that design is)
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 16:37:54 »

The FLIRT3 problems clearly have no link with this crash.  However, looking at some of the appalling photos of the crash on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) website , I was struck by how badly the trains performed structurally in the crash.  One of the trains essentially had the side wall prised off the rest of the train so that the other train was able to drive into the passenger space and cause so many injuries.  I am not a structural engineer, and maybe that kind of damage was inevitable at a 120 mph closing speed.  But I would have hoped that a modern train would perform better in a crash.  The UK (United Kingdom)'s last fatal crash demonstrated that the Pendolino (nasty, cramped, smelly train though they are) perform very well in a crash at very similar speed and I do wonder if trains in Germany are as crash-worthy as some of the UK's trains (although we obviously have some less safe stock too - I was on the S Wales mainline in a pacer on Tuesday morning and the wind made me realise just how flimsy that design is)

Realistically, I don't think any trains (or any other means of transport for that matter) can be built to withstand that sort of impact, especially as it has been said it was unlikely any braking had been applied prior to the collision. I would imagine they performed as well as could be expected. Don't forget the Pendolino crash at Grayrigg was just a single train off the line, and only relatively light structures involved, so not as much of a sudden impact, just a rollover and rapid (but not instantaneous) dissipation of energy. Had the Pendolino hit a bridge or something similarly solid, I think things would've been much much worse, c.f. the ICE derailment & bridge collision in Germany.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 13:07:54 »

Just noticed an update on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page), a bit too much to paste here so follow the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35539089

The investigating authorities appear to be currently focussing on human error from the signallers/line controllers.

Also a clip on the above page from another weirdo filming the immediate aftermath from inside the train rather than ensuring their own safety and/or helping others  Huh Roll Eyes I can never understand why people reach for their phone before worrying about anything else...
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 19:06:11 »

I don't know enough it challenge any of this, it is just that the train looks like it came apart at the seams (ie the welds). 

Realistically, I don't think any trains (or any other means of transport for that matter) can be built to withstand that sort of impact, especially as it has been said it was unlikely any braking had been applied prior to the collision. I would imagine they performed as well as could be expected. Don't forget the Pendolino crash at Grayrigg was just a single train off the line, and only relatively light structures involved, so not as much of a sudden impact, just a rollover and rapid (but not instantaneous) dissipation of energy. Had the Pendolino hit a bridge or something similarly solid, I think things would've been much much worse, c.f. the ICE derailment & bridge collision in Germany.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: