Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 04:59:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Resignalling - from Bristol PSB to Thames Valley Signal Centre  (Read 49515 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2017, 21:56:04 »

Today I have seen a document that states that the Bristol Station area will be resignalled and controlled from TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) in April 2018 and the Corsham to Bristol area will be resignalled and controlled from TVSC in April 2019.  Watch this space...... Roll Eyes Tongue
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2017, 23:15:32 »

Today I have seen a document that states that the Bristol Station area will be resignalled and controlled from TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) in April 2018 and the Corsham to Bristol area will be resignalled and controlled from TVSC in April 2019.  Watch this space...... Roll Eyes Tongue

Interesting, thank you, they must be getting on OK with it all then.

Am I right in thinking that the PSB (Power Signal Box) will still remain for a while longer until Bristol South is done?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2017, 08:49:55 »

Am I right in thinking that the PSB (Power Signal Box) will still remain for a while longer until Bristol South is done?

Correct, but I'm not sure how long 'a while longer' actually will be........ Roll Eyes Wink
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2017, 00:12:31 »

Correct, but I'm not sure how long 'a while longer' actually will be........ Roll Eyes Wink
I have, more than once, heard it suggested that TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) Didcot may not have the capacity to take over all of the areas controlled from Exeter and Plymouth along with the main line all the way to Penzance. To that end one idea being suggested is that all of Devon and Cornwall along with, possibly, the main line up as far as Nailsea / Bedminster could pass to an ROC (Rail Operating Centre - a centralised location for railway signalling and train control operations for a specific route or region) that could be opened at Exeter. The fact that no decision has yet been taken might explain why no date has yet been suggested as to when Bristol South might be done.

Dave
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2017, 17:29:16 »

I have, more than once, heard it suggested that TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) Didcot may not have the capacity to take over all of the areas controlled from Exeter and Plymouth along with the main line all the way to Penzance. To that end one idea being suggested is that all of Devon and Cornwall along with, possibly, the main line up as far as Nailsea / Bedminster could pass to an ROC (Rail Operating Centre - a centralised location for railway signalling and train control operations for a specific route or region) that could be opened at Exeter. The fact that no decision has yet been taken might explain why no date has yet been suggested as to when Bristol South might be done.

Dave

I have read somewhere (sorry cannot remember where) that TVSC is not big enough and that they were planning to expand it.  Another ROC elsewhere is obviously an alternative. 

However if I was going to split it anywhere I would not choose Bristol with all its complexity.  I would choose somewhere between Weston and Taunton. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2017, 19:13:46 »

In the view of at least one of our Coffee Shop members, Bridgwater would be a suitable place to split.  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2017, 21:18:14 »

I have read somewhere (sorry cannot remember where) that TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) is not big enough and that they were planning to expand it.  Another ROC (Rail Operating Centre - a centralised location for railway signalling and train control operations for a specific route or region) elsewhere is obviously an alternative. 

However if I was going to split it anywhere I would not choose Bristol with all its complexity.  I would choose somewhere between Weston and Taunton. 

In the view of at least one of our Coffee Shop members, Bridgwater would be a suitable place to split.  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

You would then need a split at somewhere like Langport too.   Why not split at Wellington - reduces the number of interfaces and would allow Taunton to Bristol services to be under a single control (Minehead ones too if they were to start back there!)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2017, 21:47:52 »

The present boundary for Bristol and Exeter Panels, at Fordgate between Bridgwater and Cogload Junction (154M 12Ch), would be the most obvious choice.

As for the line between Cogload Junction and Castle Cary, the present boundary between Exeter and Westbury Panels is at Somerton Tunnel (126M 59Ch).

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2017, 17:59:52 »

The present boundary for Bristol and Exeter Panels, at Fordgate between Bridgwater and Cogload Junction (154M 12Ch), would be the most obvious choice.
I believe the boundary point is where the M5 crosses over the line just north of Junction 24 (Bridgwater South)?

Meanwhile I have heard somewhere that Stage 1 of the resignalling of Devon & Cornwaill will see a new panel installed at Roskear Junction to control Truro to St. Erth but the semaphore signals and boxes at both ends will remain.

Back to Bristol however: I see that a new signal, which remains bagged over for the moment, has been installed just prior to the entrance to Clifton Down tunnel on the Sea Mills side. I guess that signal marks the point where the control of trains on that line will pass between St. Andrews PSB (Power Signal Box) and TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about): a simulation I have of the Bristol PSB area has the boundary between Bristol PSB and St. Andrews PSB to be between Avonmouth and Shirehampton.

Dave
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 23:24:02 by DaveHarries » Logged
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2018, 19:38:10 »

Apologies for bumping this topic.

As part of the resignalling works through Bristol Temple Meads the St. Andrews Crosses which have hung from the platform canopies for as long as I can remember will be replaced with conventional signals. The good thing is that most of these signals have, as shown in the first picture, been hung from the canopies in question but I was not too happy recently to note the new bracket supporting the new signals erected on Platform 5. I have heard suggestions that the support will be painted green at some point but it rather stands out, in a negative way, in the meantime against the architecture of the station. Sooner the bracket gets painted the better IMO (in my opinion) but why the signals shown in the top attachment couldn't simply have been hung from the canopy where Platform 5 and Platform 6 join is beyond me: would look less unsightly.

Dave
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2018, 19:46:01 »

Apologies for bumping this topic.

Totally happy to have the topic bumped.   Saves our admin team combining threads to keep a good archive later on.   Please ignore the bright "Are you sure - not been posted in for 120 days" warning.

Sooner the bracket gets painted the better IMO (in my opinion) but why the signals shown in the top attachment couldn't simply have been hung from the canopy where Platform 5 and Platform 6 join is beyond me: would look less unsightly.

Dave

Too heavy??

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2018, 19:51:46 »

I will be (very) supprised if those signal structures get painted green.  They are usually silver or grey so that they stand out.  They do, however, look as though no design thought has gone into them (first cost and all that Roll Eyes ).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 20:51:03 by SandTEngineer » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2018, 23:08:05 »

The main shed canopy is listed. Perhaps that's another reason why the new signals were not hung from it. The canopies on higher numbered platforms are not listed.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2018, 00:00:08 »

Are you sure? I'm struggling to find a definitive map, but I'm pretty confident that the whole shebang is Grade I...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2018, 00:18:45 »

Hmm.  I'm inclined to agree with bignosemac - my rather vague memory suggests that the outer / newer platform canopies are not so listed, as they're not part of the iconic I K Brunel / Francis Fox design.

But it is certain that the platform 14 canopy is not listed.  Anywhere.  Grin

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 21:51:13 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: