Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 22:34:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[320] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[117] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[63] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[61] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[57] Okehampton
[45] First tour train of season

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Resignalling - from Bristol PSB to Thames Valley Signal Centre  (Read 49640 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2018, 17:20:52 »

HST (High Speed Train) and 9 / 10 car 80x will only fit entirely in platforms 3, 13, & 15.

Interesting about the HST's. Does this mean they will no longer be able to use other platforms? (GWR (Great Western Railway) didn't used to use other platforms that often for HST's but it did happen, and XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) still have theirs too).

I suspect they'll still use 8 and 12 headed out for Taunton, but they'll block 7 and 11 in doing so?

Thank goodness blue lines weren't on back order.   Missing out Dilton Marsh and arranging a taxis from Westbury is one thing, but can you imagine missing out Temple Meads and using taxis from Parson Street  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2018, 17:25:14 »

HST (High Speed Train) and 9 / 10 car 80x will only fit entirely in platforms 3, 13, & 15.

Interesting about the HST's. Does this mean they will no longer be able to use other platforms? (GWR (Great Western Railway) didn't used to use other platforms that often for HST's but it did happen, and XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) still have theirs too).
I suspect they'll still use 8 and 12 headed out for Taunton, but they'll block 7 and 11 in doing so?

Correct.
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2018, 00:07:53 »

Never thought permisive passenger working was ever a good idea, remember the Stafford crash, and more recently at Plymouth. A busy railway needs to be even safer, and have all the checks and balances we should have learned over the last hundred years plus. We have been lucky so far...
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2018, 10:08:05 »

If you abolish Permissive Working you can potentially forget running the service we see today.  There just isn't the capacity available at major stations to allow the timetables to work without it.  Also, how would you operate 'Portion Working' without it.  All methods of train operation involve some form of risk (any form of human movement does), but the risks need to be controlled as best they can, not prevented entirely, otherwise we wouldn't turn a wheel (or leave our beds in the morning).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 14:22:54 by SandTEngineer » Logged
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2018, 11:27:11 »

I usually get the 16:15 from Bristol Temple Meads to Bristol Parkway, and oddly since the signalling upgrade last week, this train has had to wait by the old for 5-10 minutes outside Bristol Parkway for a clear platform.

Whilst I don't usually mind the delay, if I have a good book, but I finished my book Friday morning so I chose to investigate a bit more.

Despite being told again that our 7 minute delay was waiting a platform, it was confirmed to me that that we where waiting for the London bound train that had priority for the junction outside Bristol Parkway, and it was nothing to do with platforms.

This makes more sense, but why since last week has this happened? Is it design, bad luck or systemic?

If it is by design, then no matter how many tracks they run from Bristol Parkway to Bristol Temple Meads then without major changes to junctions no extra trains can be run. Give up any idea of 6 London bound trains from Bristol, 2 Cross Country Trains and extra local traffic.

If it is bad luck, are any other areas experiencing lots of regular delays, or is this just due to irregular and poor time keeping of trains.

If it is systemic, why should local trains have to wait 7 minutes outside a station and not be waved through onto another track and platform, rather than waiting for a London bound train to cross a junction?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 14:10:37 by simonw » Logged
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2018, 13:34:09 »

If you abolish Permissive Working you can potentially forget running the service we see today.  There just isn't the capacity available at major stations to allow the timetabes to work without it.  Also, how would you operate 'Portion Working' without it.  All methods of train operation involve some form of risk (any form of human movement does), but the risks need to be controlled as best they can, not prevented entirely, otherwise we wouldn't turn a wheel (or leave our beds in the morning).
Beds are dangerous...most people die in one.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2018, 14:12:52 »

I usually get the 16:15 from Bristol Temple Meads to Bristol Parkway, and oddly since the signalling upgrade last week, this train has had to wait by the old for 5-10 minutes outside Bristol Parkway for a clear platform.

Whilst I don't usually mind the delay, if a I have a good book, but I finished my book Friday morning so I chose to investigate a bit more.

Despite being told again that our 7 minute delay was waiting a platform, it was confirmed to me that that we where waiting for the London bound train that had priority for the junction outside Bristol Parkway, and it was nothing to do with platforms.

This makes more sense, but why since last week has this happened? Is it design, bad luck or systemic?

If it is by design, then no matter how many tracks they run from Bristol Parkway to Bristol Temple Meads then without major changes to junctions no extra trains can be run. Give up any idea of 6 London bound trains from Bristol, 2 Cross Country Trains and extra local traffic.

If it is bad luck, are any other areas experiencing lots of regular delays, or is this just due to irregular and poor time keeping of trains.

If it is systemic, why should local trains have to wait 7 minutes outside a station and not be waved through onto another track and platform, rather than waiting for a London bound train to cross a junction?
The local 2Dxx trains have pathing allowance in their timetable just before Bristol Parkway, so that the Cardiff to London train can get into Parkway platform 3 first.

The ARS (Automatic Route Setting) software mis-handled this allowance, expecting it to apply at the signal before the station.  But that signal is AFTER the converging junction with the line from South Wales, so ARS used to route the local train into platform 4 first, causing the London train (if on time) to be delayed.

The ARS system has now been updated, to recognise that the local has to be held on the curve from Filton Abbey Wood.

So that now raises the question; how late does the Cardiff to London train have to be, before it's "right" to route the Temple Meads to Parkway train first?

Answers on a postcard...
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2018, 15:19:46 »

Thank you for your very good answer
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 21:29:43 by simonw » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2018, 19:18:24 »

Why do those terminators not use P1 - isn't that one of the things it was built for? As it is, the other users of P1 and P4 are a few "trains in excess of platform capacity", mainly XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and GWR (Great Western Railway) north-south, and P1 is unused at the relevant times. Plus that means they leave southward from a nominally south/west platform.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2018, 20:01:47 »

The move from the UP FILTON line to Bristol Parkway P1 has not been commissioned yet.  The facing crossover and signal to allow this is at the old Filton platform site and that will be commissioned when the Filton 4 Tracking is commissioned at Christmas/New Year 2018/2019.  Well, thats what the Signalling Scheme Plan shows anyway.

Edit to Add: Same for Platform 2.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 15:50:14 by SandTEngineer » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2018, 22:09:06 »

Beds are dangerous...most people die in one.

At last - a man after my own heart! And a potential member of a new scam organisation I am starting, to help combat that most frequent killer of those who die in beds.

I give you the Society for the Prevention of Natural Causes. Send money now.

Whilst I don't usually mind the delay, if I have a good book, but I finished my book Friday morning so I chose to investigate a bit more.

I've got one if you want to borrow it. I haven't coloured all of the pictures in, because my felt-tip dried up.

The move from the UP FILTON line to Bristol Parkway P1 has not been commissioned yet.  The facing crossover and signal to allow this is at the old Filton platform site and that will be commissioned when the Filton 4 Tracking is commissioned at Christmas/New Year 2018/2019.  Well, thats what the Signalling Scheme Plan shows anyway.

Presumably, if it were done now, it would have to be rejigged when the four-tracking is finished, and the new platform at Filton Abbey Wood opened?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 22:17:06 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2018, 17:14:20 »

Presumably, if it were done now, it would have to be rejigged when the four-tracking is finished, and the new platform at Filton Abbey Wood opened?

Not totally sure but that is probably the reason FTN.
Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2018, 11:44:06 »

It looks like a signal has been provided on the London end of Bristol Parkway platform 1. Presumably this means it will be possible to route trains from Filton/Cardiff through Platform 1 and out the other side towards London. I originally thought it would be a fixed red signal just for reversing moves back to Filton/Cardiff but it appears this isn’t the case.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2018, 18:48:16 »

It looks like a signal has been provided on the London end of Bristol Parkway platform 1. Presumably this means it will be possible to route trains from Filton/Cardiff through Platform 1 and out the other side towards London. I originally thought it would be a fixed red signal just for reversing moves back to Filton/Cardiff but it appears this isn’t the case.
All the lines through Bristol Parkway will become fully reversible (including the Up Passenger Loop and Down Goods Loop).  This will happen during the F4T commissioning later this year (2018).  All these lines will be accessible from the London, Filton Abbey Wood, Patchway and Avonmouth directions.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 21:38:56 by SandTEngineer » Logged
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2018, 23:10:29 »

Why do those terminators not use P1 - isn't that one of the things it was built for? As it is, the other users of P1 and P4 are a few "trains in excess of platform capacity", mainly XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and GWR (Great Western Railway) north-south, and P1 is unused at the relevant times. Plus that means they leave southward from a nominally south/west platform

P1 certainly came into it's own the Saturday before last due to the cabling theft between Newport & Cardiff.  There was an 800 to Cardiff stuck in P2 for ages with indefinite delays, The WSM service waiting to depart from P4, so they were running XC into P1 and my GWR N/S service to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) into P3.  Would have been a nightmare with trains stacked without it then

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: