Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:04:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Resignalling - from Bristol PSB to Thames Valley Signal Centre  (Read 49518 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2018, 23:29:46 »

It’s quite often the case with infrastructure enhancements that you don’t necessarily notice the positive impact they are having, but you sure would if they weren’t there.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2018, 02:32:39 »

It looks like a signal has been provided on the London end of Bristol Parkway platform 1. Presumably this means it will be possible to route trains from Filton/Cardiff through Platform 1 and out the other side towards London. I originally thought it would be a fixed red signal just for reversing moves back to Filton/Cardiff but it appears this isn’t the case.
All the lines through Bristol Parkway will become fully reversible (including the Up Passenger Loop and Down Goods Loop).  This will happen during the F4T commissioning later this year (2018).  All these lines will be accessible from the London, Filton Abbey Wood, Patchway and Avonmouth directions.

Thank you for the information! Of course, the Up passenger loop is already fully reversible Wink
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2018, 09:08:38 »

It looks like a signal has been provided on the London end of Bristol Parkway platform 1. Presumably this means it will be possible to route trains from Filton/Cardiff through Platform 1 and out the other side towards London. I originally thought it would be a fixed red signal just for reversing moves back to Filton/Cardiff but it appears this isn’t the case.
All the lines through Bristol Parkway will become fully reversible (including the Up Passenger Loop and Down Goods Loop).  This will happen during the F4T commissioning later this year (2018).  All these lines will be accessible from the London, Filton Abbey Wood, Patchway and Avonmouth directions.

Thank you for the information! Of course, the Up passenger loop is already fully reversible Wink
There you go.  I try to explain it in simple terms for non-technical people and then somebody shoots you down because one part of it wasn't totally accurate

........only joking..... Wink

Your'e right about the Up Passenger Loop.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:19:13 by SandTEngineer » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2018, 09:18:40 »

It’s quite often the case with infrastructure enhancements that you don’t necessarily notice the positive impact they are having, but you sure would if they weren’t there.

The one thing thats always concerned me though II, is that sometimes all the 'extra' facilities are provided but then never used, even during degraded running.  The layout at Paddington is a classic example of that.  If you watch the rush hour on one of the signalling map applications, you wil see quite a few delay conflicts that could have been avoided if full use was made of the track and signalling layout.  I know that ARS (Automatic Route Setting) is to blame for a lot of that (its only as good as what the people that programme it, put into it).  But, in the olden days of signallers, decisions would have been made that mitigated such delays, as a human can be more flexible in its thought processes and can think through complex interactions and take alternative decisions, utilising the flexibility they have to its fullest extent.

Ooops, this is supposed to be the Bristol Resignalling topic.  Back off my high horse...... Roll Eyes
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2018, 10:19:39 »

I know that ARS (Automatic Route Setting) is to blame for a lot of that (its only as good as what the people that programme it, put into it). 

That may well be true, but speaking as an IT professional I would guess that programming a computer (even if you break with tradition and do it properly, and test it, and do all those other things you're supposed to do) is one hell of a lot cheaper than installing track and signalling.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2018, 11:50:51 »

ARS (Automatic Route Setting) is of benefit sometimes, but equally as S&TEngineer says, it’s far from optimal especially at dealing with delays.  I suggested developing a 1-10 importance level for trains based not just on whether it’s a class 1 or class 2 train but also other factors such as that train and its crews next workings.  That sort of thing could ‘easily’ be programmed into the ARS software and might help further optimise whatever algorithms it currently uses.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2018, 17:41:55 »

ARS (Automatic Route Setting) did it's usual in helping to create delays today.  Waiting for a BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) service on platform 2 which was on time, that then got stuck behind a late running Swansea service.  Looked at the signalling screen on the platform as i'd been following the progress of both trains (i'm that sad!)  Wink and ours ended up sat at a red signal for 5 minutes behind the Swansea train (which was further delayed in the platform) even tho the brand spanking new platform 1 was empty and had nothing scheduled for it

The Swansea service finally departed and ours came slowly trundling after 5 minutes late, and then of course we had to wait at a red signal for another 3 minutes just before FIT to wait for a CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) service to got thru FIT.  We eventually arrived 8 minutes late

All avoidable, as our train could have been diverted - on time - into the new platform 1, which would then have avoided the further delay before FIT as our service would have run at it's scheduled time, and wouldn't have then had to wait for the CDF service.  Just so annoying that the infrastructure is now in place and not used as ARS is just left to get on with it how it's programmed, actually causing delays rather than alleviating them! 

Obviously one of those pinch points will be alleviated once the new platforms 3 and 4 are in place at FIT, meaning there won't be the wait between BPW and FIT for CDF services to go thru as they'll already be on the new relief lines, rather than all southbound services having to share the current down main as they do now

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2018, 00:12:31 »

A quick heads-up. Anyone who did not see this week's edition of "Paddington 24/7" on Monday 14th may be interested to know that next week's edition - to be aired 21st May - will give time to the recent signalling and recontrol works Bristol Temple Meads which took place over Easter. Programme starts 9pm on Channel 5.

Dave
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2018, 19:02:21 »

Just watched it again on catch up...  really good insight into the works, especially in Bristol PSB (Power Signal Box)

Couple of things confusing me tho - don't take much!  Wink

As I understand it the South Bristol area is staying under Bristol PSB control for now, and moving to TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) at a later date yeah?  Which is why I understood the PSB can't be decommissioned just yet

Also, when they showed the relay room downstairs, they showed all of the old now redundant relays, but also seemed to be installing new cabling in the same relay room to link all the new switch boxes over to TVSC...  was that right or have I missed summat?

Hoping I have, as if that relay room will still house cabling for the new signalling then how can they demolish it to re-open the Midland shed for the 2 new express platforms planned for the IET (Intercity Express Train)'s once South Bristol is transferred over?

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2018, 21:20:13 »

Bristol PSB (Power Signal Box) still controls Bathampton junction to Keynsham, and Cogload jn to Parson Street (exclusive).  The first of these will transfer to TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) in April 2019 when BASRE (Bristol Area Signalling Renewal and Enhancement) stage 3 goes ahead.  (Temple Meads was stage 4 - don't ask!). Bristol South resignalling has been postponed - no idea when the PSB will actually shut.
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2018, 21:29:25 »

Yeah knew it had all gone a bit out of order, and Cogload to Parson St was staying for now, but didn't realise we still had Bathampton to Keynsham too...

Good job Stoke panel had already been switched out a while ago or Bristol PSB (Power Signal Box) would now still be controlling almost everything around Bristol except Temple Meads itself!

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2018, 22:45:08 »

Yeah knew it had all gone a bit out of order, and Cogload to Parson St was staying for now, but didn't realise we still had Bathampton to Keynsham too...

Good job Stoke panel had already been switched out a while ago or Bristol PSB (Power Signal Box) would now still be controlling almost everything around Bristol except Temple Meads itself!

When Bristol Panel box opened on 23/24 August 1969 it initially controlled Bathampton to Limpey Stoke only so a mirror of the de-commissioning Wink
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2018, 11:04:44 »

Isn't Cogload controlled by Exeter PSB (Power Signal Box)?  I thought the border was around Fordgate for Bristol Panel and around Athelney with Westbury Panel on the Berks & Hants route.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2018, 13:47:46 »

Isn't Cogload controlled by Exeter PSB (Power Signal Box)?  I thought the border was around Fordgate for Bristol Panel and around Athelney with Westbury Panel on the Berks & Hants route.

Correct Wink
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2018, 10:34:28 »

At about 4pm and again just after 6pm last night there were major signalling problems around BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)), was this related to these "improvements"?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: