Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningDelayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 23:49:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[282] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[233] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[48] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[42] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[20] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[19] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OK what's changed...I'm experiencing a good service on my daily commute!  (Read 10408 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2016, 10:30:57 »

It's been a while since I have travelled daily from Thatcham into London but for the last two weeks there have been only the odd delay of a few minutes which is fine by me.

So what has changed of any note (if anything)?

Of course I may live to regret my own optimism and positivity!
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 10:32:47 »

Nothing to do with operational issues but it's half-term so loads are lighter. Very pleasant...
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 10:36:51 »

Nothing to do with operational issues but it's half-term so loads are lighter. Very pleasant...

Yes, that is true! There must have been an issue West of Newbury today because the 602 THA to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) started in Newbury - I believe it normally starts in Bedwyn.

But that, in addition to it being school hols, meant a comfortable journey in.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 10:55:45 »

Punctuality is generally on an upward trend at the moment (see my post yesterday giving the most recent charter figures).  The terribly unreliable signalling between Reading and Paddington has been much less flaky lately as it beds in, and more obvious things like the Reading rebuild are now starting to show their advantages, with far less instances of queuing for a platform at Reading for example.  Hopefully performance will continue the upward trend - though there's an awful lot of work still going on.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 17:48:39 »

One of the things I have noticed at Reading is that on the paired Main Line platforms (8/9, 10/11) that even if an adjacent paired platform is free, trains stick to their booked platform and are frequently held outside the station waiting for it to be free.  I guess this is because of the way the Automatic Route Setting is configured, i.e. it does not have a 'first come first served' option built into it.  Sometimes causes an unnecessary delay Tongue
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 20:02:46 »

interesting, last week I was on the BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains)-Pad line and was surprised to have to wait 5 minutes outside of Reading.

When we eventually reached Reading station it didn't look busy, I was puzzled by the wait after all the money spent on rebuilding the station but you explanation makes sense.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 21:02:15 »

Yes I've noticed this as well, especially heading into P10/11. Surely the system can be overridden in the event of a service being late? Used to happen all the time at the 'old' Reading, at the last second a quick dash across from P5 to P8 was quite common practice
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 21:53:23 »

It's been a while since I have travelled daily from Thatcham into London but for the last two weeks there have been only the odd delay of a few minutes which is fine by me.

No-one piling through signalling cables perhaps?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 22:53:57 »

Could be - but why? Have they learned how not to? Run out of unpiled-through ones? Finished piling the relevant bits?
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 09:10:54 »

But that, in addition to it being school hols, meant a comfortable journey in.

That may have been the case for you BB, but I was on the 0905 THA-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) yesterday and it was rammed - people squeezing to get on an already full and standing train at THE.

Most of the pax making it busier than usual seemed to be families off for days out in London. This is of course the first off-peak train in from our part of the world.

I mentioned to a few that there is an HST (High Speed Train) that runs the same stopping pattern (starting from NBY» (Newbury - next trains)) about 25 mins after this service (which in my experience is usually lightly loaded) which they were unaware of (I would have been on it aside from needing the earlier train to get to my meeting in the City on time).

Coming back last night it was bustitution from RDG(resolve) at 2318 for me, which ran efficiently (and even dropped some of us on the A4 nearer to homes than the Station  Smiley). Signs of work underway (under very powerful lights) on the line between MDG and THA as we drove past.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 09:18:45 »

Could be - but why? Have they learned how not to? Run out of unpiled-through ones? Finished piling the relevant bits?

I think that they have done a lot of the piling (or at least enough to have "found" most of the cables)

Edit note: Quote marks fixed, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 15:55:33 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
Billhere

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 15:02:04 »

Yes, that is true! There must have been an issue West of Newbury today because the 602 THA to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) started in Newbury - I believe it normally starts in Bedwyn.
Unit failure at Reading, by the time they had got another it was too late to run down to Bedwyn ecs, so it got as far as Newbury.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: