20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
21:15 Great Malvern to Bristol Temple Meads
22:36 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 23:03:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 0809 Filton Abbey Wood to Portsmouth Harbour Announcements  (Read 6846 times)
JonnyD

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2016, 08:25:41 »

This drives me scatty every day. This is a five carriage train that divides into a 2-3 configuration at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains).  Standing at FIT, the announcement tells you to be careful to be in the correct carriages

Sadly, it announces that to continue on after BRI, you need to be in the front there carriages and that therear two terminate at temple meads.

As at least a few people discover every day, it seems,  this is only true from the perspective of standing on the platform at temple meads where the train reverses

It is a small amount of chaos in the bigger scheme of things, but is it just a bug in this specific announcement or does the announcement software generally only know that it will eventually divide in a particular way?
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 09:13:17 »

No, this also happens at Paignton - Exeter St Thomas inclusive when a train divides at St David's.  The CIS (Customer Information System) states front 2 if travelling to Exeter Central and beyond, but you need to be in the rear 2.

Auto CIS, and some passengers, cannot handle trains that reverse en route and divide at that point.
Mind you some passengers cannot handle what is the front and rear of a train even when its moving.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
JonnyD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 09:52:10 »

I saw a few passengers struggling to count this morning. Sadly, I fear they still ended up in the wrong carriage.

I figured it was an automation issue. Regular users probably not affected but it clearly causes some confusion
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 10:13:18 »

Someone in GW (Great Western)'s employ knows how to produce announcements that cover reversals adequately, because at Reading they routinely refer to the position of First Class in terms of its position in the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) trains on arrival and on departure; e.g. "First is in the front carriage of this 5 car train on arrival and will be in the rear carriage on departure..."

ISTM that the problem on approach to Bristol TM(resolve) could be solved if they wanted to, perhaps they don't get told...

Paul
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 10:27:33 »

I saw a few passengers struggling to count this morning. Sadly, I fear they still ended up in the wrong carriage.

For newcomers to a station, "First Class accommodation is at the front of the train" beggars the question "so which way will the front be?"; for a train reversing and dividing on route, it gets all the more interesting

With modern technology, should it not be possible for an announcement to be made in the carriages about to be detached as the service runs down Filton Bank to the effect of "please move back down the train if you're travelling beyond Bristol Temple Meads as this carriage will be detached there".    Of course, that's just a temporary fix as once we have 165s and 166s there won't be a through corridor (problem if there's a 150/1 in the formation even today).  How about designation displays like you have on Pendelinos?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JonnyD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 10:29:15 »

ISTM that the problem on approach to Bristol TM(resolve) could be solved if they wanted to, perhaps they don't get told...

Paul

I'm happy to let them know - but not got much faith in the default comment box on their website
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 10:44:33 »

An elderly gentleman on a train about to depart from Paddington once asked me which way we'd be going, as he liked to travel 'with his back to the engine'. I pointed westward, and said that I sincerely hoped we'd be going that way. Smiley

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 11:52:28 »

An elderly gentleman on a train about to depart from Paddington once asked me which way we'd be going, as he liked to travel 'with his back to the engine'. I pointed westward, and said that I sincerely hoped we'd be going that way. Smiley

I can't recall ever being seated in an HST (High Speed Train) without my back to an engine ...  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 12:20:57 »

Ahhh so *you* were the one who got a seat  Grin
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 13:28:47 »

I can't recall ever being seated in an HST (High Speed Train) without my back to an engine ...  Grin

Quite so, but there are times when it's best to follow Elsa's advice...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
froggycat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 14:54:17 »

My parents have been visiting me in Reading from France for years now and we found ourselves on a train at Paddington very often. If I had a fiver for every time they have asked me which way the train was going to go... And every time my response is: if the train goes that way (pointing to the station direction) we need to jump out!
It always amuses me how unobservant and illogical some people can be  Cheesy
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 22:02:21 »

Reminds me of the 80's sitcom "To the Manor Born" where Penelope Keith is sampling the delights of her local line, and says that she travels with her back to the engine.  To which the guard replies
"That'll be quite a sight - the engine's under the floor."
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 23:11:06 »

Reminds me of the 80's sitcom "To the Manor Born" where Penelope Keith is sampling the delights of her local line, and says that she travels with her back to the engine.  To which the guard replies
"That'll be quite a sight - the engine's under the floor."

Here you go, courtesy of YouTube:

https://youtu.be/YJVfDScIS-o

Incidentally, her Ladyship is wanting to go to Taunton in that clip. The lady has taste.

And, without recourse to Google, would anyone care to guess where the exterior station scenes (later in same part of episode on YouTube, around 01:54) were filmed?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 23:28:16 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 05:47:17 »

Maiden Newton
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 08:33:22 »

I have taken quite a few trains from Temple Meads lately, some of which have reversed direction there. For the HSTs (High Speed Train), the announcement has been that "First Class will be at the rear as the train arrives at the station" Plain enough for me, but by no means for everybody. You can always tell forum members. They are the ones who always end up standing exactly where the door to what will be the least busy carriage will stop, and sit facing the way they want, on the right part of the right train with a smug grin on their faces.

I make no apology!

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: