Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:55:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[124] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[49] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[48] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[43] Return of the BRUTE?
[30] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol: A stupid city?  (Read 26909 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2016, 18:14:51 »

I've therefore corrected the quote attribution. CfN.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2016, 18:40:50 »

I've therefore corrected the quote attribution. CfN.  Wink

Apologies to all concerned. On this occasion I honestly didn't set out to confuse anyone!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2016, 00:02:26 »

I'd favour putting some effort into properly connecting the new arena to the station perhaps with a new link bridge. 

Something like this?

(image courtesy of Bristol 24/7)

Or this, maybe?

(Image courtesy of me)

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2016, 09:17:37 »

Or this, maybe?

Indeed. There are also plans for another bridge to the east, linking to a pick up/drop off point on Albert Road. I suppose it makes sense that this is on the opposite side of the site to the proposed car park, thus perhaps theoretically keeping the traffic separate:

Bristol Arena moves step closer as plans submitted for St Philip's footbridge

The Bristol Arena has moved another step closer with the submission of a detailed planning application for the St Philip's Footbridge, a new key access route to Arena Island.

The new bridge will provide access for pedestrians and cyclists from Albert Road, which will be used as a taxi and coach pick-up and drop-off point for arena visitors.

See full article in Bristol Post

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2016, 21:53:19 »

The grandchildren have gone, so I can think again.

If the decision not to have car parking beyond 250 disabled places was wrong, the decision to have a 480-space car park will be criticised at being too small. Increases in the size, and therefore number of spaces, would be similarly criticised until it is criticised for being too big. The absence of a planned car park could have had as much to do with the site (Kwik Fit currently) not being available at the time the Arenal was planned. This may not be so much of a u-turn as seems to be assumed by some. As has also been pointed out, the council are in the process of buying the Temple Gate centre with a view to rental income and development. That could include the car park there.

I would not use an arena car park for a major event, and have form for doing as I say. At events at Old Trafford, Wembley, and several in Cardiff, I have used public transport, usually rail, or once an out-of-town park and ride. I have been vindicated every time, getting home before people who drove. A multi-storey car park fills and empties over a whole day, but at an arena all 12,000 people want to go home at the same time. I would not like to be one of 480 cars all trying to get out onto Bath Road or Cattle Market Road. The bridge to Albert Road for coach passengers etc is a very good idea, and might even lead to use of places like the Fruit Bat Market on event days.

So I don't think a car park is any more necessary here than in London. The answer lies in public transport, either for the whole journey, or the last leg. There are three park and ride sites, one of which will one day have a railway platform - it isn't dead yet. They will be open late on event days. Why not offer a deal for a rail or bus ticket with event tickets? Or use the thousands of car park spaces within a 10 minute walk of the Arenal?

Totterdown is too far away and unknown for out-of-towners to use for parking, but the will be offered a RPZ as a solution to any problem. The RPZs by the way have indeed cut parking in Redland, Clifton, Kingsdown etc. If you wondered where it all went, go to Easton in the morning. A RPZ might not help matters where I live, which is away from the commuter parking belt, but a RPG might come in handy occasionally. As Red Squirrel says, though, they are greeted with suspicion but quickly become popular where they are introduced.

I've got used to using buses and trains in the past couple of months. Bristol buses are not as bad as their reputation, although they are not for the urgent. From Arnos Vale, close to my home, it is a 5 minute ride to Temple Meads costing ^1.00, or a 30 minute walk. Why would I take a car there? But I still wouldn't wherever I lived in Bristol.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2016, 22:46:01 »

A RPZ might not help matters where I live, which is away from the commuter parking belt, but a RPG might come in handy occasionally.
Shocked Cheesy

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2016, 19:23:09 »

From the Bristol Post:

"Lack of coach park in Bristol will affect tourism and cause loss of jobs" - councillor

A senior Bristol City Councillor has warned that the city risks losing tourism and jobs in the retail industry because of a failure to identify and develop coach-parking.

Former Tory leader Richard Eddy, who is his party's spokeman on the Destination Bristol tourism board, the Harbourside Forum and the Shopping Quarter Forum, is concerned that the city council has not designated a new coach-park which allows tourists and shoppers to visit the city easily.

Councillor Eddy, who represents Bishopsworth ward, said: "It really is appalling to see the lack of urgency or importance the council apparently attaches to this issue, as the former Anchor Road large coach-park closed in the early 2000's. A small temporary coach-park serving 25 coaches was set-up when Cabot Circus opened its doors, but this closed over a month ago.

"I am told that coach operators find the situation all but impossible, with the 'Bristol Packet' ferry-boat business recently revealing there were ten coaches near the SS Great Britain, revving their engines, wasting time and creating pollution.

"If the city council continues to bury its head in the sand, coach companies and our visitors - who bring many millions of pounds into the local economy - will vote with their feet and choose other locations to spend their money.  Bristol is fortunate to boast many innovative and fantastic destinations, but can we really afford to be so contemptuous of the vital visitors to our city?

"I understand council officers are trawling for coach-park locations, but their lack of urgency risks killing the 'golden goose' which helps sustain the city's prosperity, leisure industry and retail markets.  I passionately urge Mayor George Ferguson to intervene and prioritise the hunt for a City Centre coach-park before it is too late."

Peter Mann, Service Director for Transport at Bristol City Council, said: "We fully recognise the contribution coach passengers make to Bristol's tourism economy. Managing coach parking for visitors coming into the city is something we are working proactively to improve, particularly during the transformation of our transport network.

"We are carrying out a number site assessments to establish the suitability of locations for temporary coach parking. This inevitably requires agreement with landowners which is currently being sought, where appropriate. Although some sites have been discounted for safety and logistical reasons, we are confident we will find a short-term solution in the near future. We also remain committed to delivering a long-term, effective solution for the city."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2016, 23:03:36 »

This one is stupid. The coach park in Cumberland Road was used for as many years as I have been in Bristol. It wasn't used to its fullest extent all the time, but was certainly heavily used in summer, in the pantomime season, and whenever there was a big production in town. This is not where passengers alight, but where the drivers park until it is time to return to pick their passengers up after the event.

It has been closed to allow works for MetroBust, and will not be reopened when said white heffalump has been constructed. MetroBust has been in what passes for planning for 5 years (or 11 years, depending on where you start). It is absurd that this issue was not addressed before the coach park was closed.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2016, 20:59:05 »

So where are the coaches parking now? Has another place been provided for them? Where will they go when (if?!) Metro Stub finally opens?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2016, 22:25:22 »

Many coaches park up on Parrys Lane, Durdham Downs these days. Including National Express and Megabucks.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2016, 16:19:39 »

First Bristol might be missing out on a few extra pounds there.  They could have charged a nominal fee for coaches parking between set downs and pick ups at their old Muller Road depot.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2017, 09:09:50 »

According to various articles in the local media, it looks like Mayor Marvin is looking at alternative locations for the Bristol Arena. Given how quiet things have been for the last year, I can't say I'm surprised: the central location by Temple Meads is well-aligned with George Ferguson's architect's idea of what a modern city should be, but less so with Marvin Rees' bottom-of-the-internet populism.

One of the more interesting suggestions comes from Cllr Peter Abrahams: re-using the Brab Hangar at Filton. This idea, it seems to me, is not entirely without merit: it provides a new use for a historic building which would otherwise presumably have to come down, the site is on the Henbury branch, and it's also very accessible for those who insist on clinging on to the Mobile Death Greenhouse as a form of transport. And, surprisingly, it is inside the Bristol boundary - just!

However Cllr Abrahams did use that word 're-imagine' in this context. I do rather worry that Mayor Marvin is intent on re-imagining a world that doesn't have a Bristol Arena in it.

Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2017, 14:27:18 »

According to various articles in the local media, it looks like Mayor Marvin is looking at alternative locations for the Bristol Arena. Given how quiet things have been for the last year, I can't say I'm surprised: the central location by Temple Meads is well-aligned with George Ferguson's architect's idea of what a modern city should be, but less so with Marvin Rees' bottom-of-the-internet populism.

One of the more interesting suggestions comes from Cllr Peter Abrahams: re-using the Brab Hangar at Filton. This idea, it seems to me, is not entirely without merit: it provides a new use for a historic building which would otherwise presumably have to come down, the site is on the Henbury branch, and it's also very accessible for those who insist on clinging on to the Mobile Death Greenhouse as a form of transport. And, surprisingly, it is inside the Bristol boundary - just!

However Cllr Abrahams did use that word 're-imagine' in this context. I do rather worry that Mayor Marvin is intent on re-imagining a world that doesn't have a Bristol Arena in it.

Well, thinking about this one. A big building that no-one really knows what to do with, with no immediate neighbours to annoy, a mile or so away from a major public transport hub, right next to motorway and major roads, with loads of space for parking/shuttle buses etc. Versus a cramped city centre site, right against a residential area, on the 'wrong' side of the city centre for much of the population, next to a cramped railway station with little room to expand, with little to no parking, which is going to be incredibly expensive to build and is on a valuable site. You might not like the idea of out of town development, but there simply isn't a reasonable place to put it in Bristol City Centre without causing a huge .

If I was Marvin I would be very actively soliciting a deal with the University to take the arena site, on the proviso that they build some kind of multipurpose venue on the current arena site as part of the deal. Something like the Octagon centre in Sheffield where you could have bands, exhibitions, conferences, small sporting events etc would be ideal. At the same time, do a deal for a big stonking arena in the Brabazon hanger. He can then turn around to the electorate and say that this is going to result in a much nicer city, it's going to cost far less money, won't inconvenience the locals, turn the roads to gridlock etc. Everyone will be delighted with him, the issue will go away and he can focus on the issues that really matt.... ah yes, the arena is rather good for distracting attention isn't it? As you were everyone.     

simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2017, 15:41:32 »

And with the savings, get the Henbury Spur upgraded to the Henbury Loop!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2017, 17:13:06 »

won't... turn the roads to gridlock

Well it will, but... tee hee... that'll be South Glos's problem!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: