Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:35 26 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 00:50:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Maximum time a driver can drive without a stop  (Read 13844 times)
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 14:46:22 »

I can recall when a Train Planner in the 80s and secondmen were used, the maximum length of time a driver could drive single-manned was 3 hours.    We regularly had a Friday Relief frpm Paddington to the West of England and the running time to Exeter for a Class 47 loco vai the Berks and Hants and calling at Taunton was 3 hours and 2 minutes.  It was wised up eventually that if it didn't call at Taunton, it was 2 hours 58 minutes.    So, the obvious happened to avoid a secondman.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 20:01:29 »

Non stop trains are a luxury when capacity is short. 

The capacity of a line is maximised when all the trains move at the same speed and have the same stopping patterns.  If there are differences in speed then gaps have to be left in the timetable so that trains can pass at places where this is possible. 

If you want more trains then something has to give.   
Sam290893

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 08:00:51 »

All I know if GWR (Great Western Railway) drivers can have a maximum of 4 hours driving time then have a break as they can do a train from Plymouth via Bristol to Paddington, this is 3 hours 51.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 11:49:43 »

Yes, that's correct for the HSS (High Speed Services) drivers, but as 'insider' said earlier, LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) (and West) are different.  Other companies will also have different rules.  It does surprise me a little that ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) never seem to mind about these differences much and aren't campaigning hard for a national standard. 

There are national rules (which came about from the Hidden report after the Clapham crash) governing maximum shift length (12 hours), maximum number of days consecutively worked (13 days), maximum number of hours in a week (72 hours), and minimum rest period between shifts (12 hours).

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2016, 22:24:56 »

One of the longest non stop runs must be Virgin East Coast 0540 Edinburgh - London. Running from Newcastle to London non-stop for 2 hours 36 minutes.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2016, 22:49:38 »

One of the longest non stop runs must be Virgin East Coast 0540 Edinburgh - London. Running from Newcastle to London non-stop for 2 hours 36 minutes.

Lowland Sleeper does anything from  3 to 5 hours between Watford Junction and driver change at either Warrington Bank Quay, Preston or Carlise.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Sam290893

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 08:47:11 »

All I know GWR (Great Western Railway) drivers can only driver for a maximum of 4 hours!
One of the routes is Penzance via Bristol to Paddington! I think it's driver change at Plymouth! Am not 100% sure..
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 02:12:06 »

I remember an article in one of the comics, many moons ago in BR (British Rail(ways)) Cross Country days loco hauled Mark 2s etc., moaning that the Aberdeen Penzance train required so many drivers and they seemed to changed at every stop. Plus sa change.

Good job that we are not in France their provincial drivers don't seem to able to drive more than hour at a time!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2016, 10:23:29 »

All I know GWR (Great Western Railway) drivers can only driver for a maximum of 4 hours!
One of the routes is Penzance via Bristol to Paddington! I think it's driver change at Plymouth! Am not 100% sure..
As far as I am aware Penzance drivers (and crew) only go as far as Exeter. Plymouth and Exeter crews also cover Exeter and Plymouth to Penzance.  Plymouth, Exeter and Paddington crews cover Plymouth to Paddington via all routes.  This keeps all single runs to a maximum of about 3.75 hours.

An example is the driver and crew for the 0505 Penzance to Exeter St.Davids (arr 0751) who then work back the 0933 Exeter St.Davids to Penzance (arr 1237).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 21:13:44 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Sam290893

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 08:59:42 »

As far as I am aware Penzance drivers (and crew) only go as far as Exeter. Plymouth and Exeter crews also cover Exeter and Plymouth to Penzance.  Plymouth, Exeter and Paddington crews cover Plymouth to Paddington via all routes.  This keeps all single runs to a maximum of about 3.75 hours.

An example is the driver and crew for the 0505 Penzance to Exeter St.Davids (arr 0751) who then work back the 0933 Exeter St.Davids to Penzance (arr 1237).

When I've got the train at Plymouth I have seen the do a driver change there as well, but they go and have on and change at Exeter as well Smiley 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2016, 11:39:24 »

Yes, it can all be a bit of a mish-mash depending on the service in question.  For example there are a few trains from Hereford to Paddington that are crewed all the way through by Bristol HSS (High Speed Services) or Oxford LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) depots (between 3 and 3h15m with lots of stops), whereas there are others that have a driver change at Worcester and Oxford en-route.  Just depends how the shifts fit in at that time of day.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: