17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
10:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
12:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
10:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
11:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
12:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 12:34:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[317] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[88] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[56] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[32] Where have I been?
[31] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[26] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Marlow branch line - engineering work, closures, incidents (merged topics)  (Read 96745 times)
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2011, 17:31:01 »

I think that might be last May (2010) the poster is referring to.. That has been happening daily since then  Roll Eyes Grin
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2011, 18:24:14 »

I think that might be last May (2010) the poster is referring to.. That has been happening daily since then  Roll Eyes Grin
Correct the poster is a year old

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2011, 21:54:13 »

Correct the poster is a year old
Ha ha though.. nice to see they've not replaced it with an updated one (that doesn't mention May) so as not to confuse people  Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2011, 23:47:26 »

Should have been to Specsavers!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2011, 16:54:05 »

I assume the new arrangement will require three drivers. One to take the Bourne End portion forward. One to dispose of the remainder of the Paddington train and the third to run the Marlow/Bourne End shuttle as now.

Only one driver, the 2 car part of the train remains stabled in plat 5 at Maidenhead certaily for part of the evening

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
hertzsprung

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2011, 20:56:43 »

I assume the new arrangement will require three drivers. One to take the Bourne End portion forward. One to dispose of the remainder of the Paddington train and the third to run the Marlow/Bourne End shuttle as now.

Only one driver, the 2 car part of the train remains stabled in plat 5 at Maidenhead certaily for part of the evening
Seems like they join up again before heading back towards Paddington.  I'm not sure where they go, but is there a reason that it couldn't be used as a passenger service?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2011, 21:03:59 »

I don't have an answer to your question, hertzsprung - but welcome to the forum!  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2011, 21:20:03 »

Goes to Slough and then proceeds towards Reading Depot
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2011, 22:00:13 »

I don't know if it was a special but the week before last there was a two car run out of service from Maidenhead nightly at 21:42 to platform 13 at Paddington where it joined with a three car from Banbury to form a late evening service to Reading.  The service on the branch was taken over by a fresh unit from Reading. So I was told by someone in the know.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2011, 23:14:04 »

http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/News/Areas/Maidenhead/Police-attend-train-station-after-crossing-gates-fail-05122011.htm
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2011, 07:02:33 »

What a load of over hyped journalistic tripe.  I was at Furze Platt on Monday morning at 06:50, yes the wig-wags were flashing and the waring klaxon sounding when a train was not present; when the UP arrived from Cookham the wig-wags continued flashing and the waring klaxon continued sounding and the barriers dropped the white flashing train drivers proceed light started to flash the drive sounded his horn and proceeded at a snails pace across the the level Xing.  There was no sign of the Police at that time yet the fault had been reported at least 20 mins earlier by the station staff. 

Lets get this in perspective the Xing failed in a safe mode the warning wig-wags kept flashing RED which means to road user should STOP do not proceed if a car had hit a train it would have been because the car drive broke the law!

Maidenhead Advertiser you are a better news paper than this, please no not stoop to the levels of the National tabloids

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2011, 12:54:36 »

I totally agree Electric Train.  As a journalist I despair sometimes at the things you see written.  While I am on my high horse I have lost count how many times people have written "a train was speeding over a crossing..."  Even a leading railway magazine was guilty of that recently.  A train is far less lilkely to be breaking line speed than a car on the adjacent road.  Perhaps we should put black boxes in cars!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2012, 16:12:49 »

From the Bucks Free Press:

A man has died after being hit by a train near Marlow railway station this afternoon.

He was hit by the 1.06pm service from Marlow to Maidenhead near the Mill Lane level crossing and was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

The man has not yet been identified. British Transport Police say the death is not being treated as suspicious.

The line between Marlow and Maidenhead was closed for a time due to the incident, with a replacement bus service running in its place, although the line has now been handed back to Network Rail by police investigating the collision.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2012, 16:42:29 »

This always makes me so sad to read this whatever the circumstances

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2012, 11:13:42 »

Very sad, sympathy to all those involved.

The 11th seems to been a bad day with another incident at Stroud.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: