Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:57:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire on train at Slough  (Read 10311 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2016, 18:03:29 »

http://m.sloughobserver.co.uk/news/14337660.Lucky_escape_for_passengers_on_smokelogged_train/..........anyone else heard about this?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 18:31:34 »

It was in an assumingly new circular route

London to Paddington train.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 20:18:36 »

Not wishing to underplay the seriousness of the incident I am, however, pleased to see that the line at Maidenhead is now electrified...... Roll Eyes
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 23:02:18 »

Quality journalism.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 23:03:15 »

Maybe if this was the type of electrification used through Slough they wouldn't be years behind...
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 23:10:30 »

Maybe if this was the type of electrification used through Slough they wouldn't be years behind...
They would be years behind the times though!
Billhere

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 09:06:41 »

The photo they used is of an unknown third rail electric location. Rather different from Slough !
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 09:12:15 »

Whilst I appreciate that the good folk of the Slough Observer are unlikely to trouble the Pulitzer prize judges, I was more interested in the background to the incident rather than a critique of grammar, geography and/or technical detail.................never mind!  Roll Eyes
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 10:04:59 »

Whilst I appreciate that the good folk of the Slough Observer are unlikely to trouble the Pulitzer prize judges, I was more interested in the background to the incident rather than a critique of grammar, geography and/or technical detail.................never mind!  Roll Eyes

Me too. However, there is no date on the article and I cannot see any abnormal activity on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) at that time in the morning in the last seven days so difficult to comment really. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 10:13:53 »

I've not heard anything.  Would usually do if such an incident occurred.  Perhaps an old report?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 10:30:14 »

First off, with apologies to TaplowGreen, the image in the article is of flooding in early February 2014 on the line between Whyteleafe and Kenley stations in Surrey.

As to the incident itself:

Internal Information:

UPDATE 6 at 03:57: Lines back open. 1P90 now in platform at Slough.

UPDATE 5 at 03:39: 1P90 now on the move.

UPDATE 4 at 03:15: BT Police have released the train to move to Slough station, the driver is still being interviewed by the Police. GWR (Great Western Railway) fitters have nearly completed their examination of the train and the fire brigade are now packing up and going clear of the railway. The emergency services are now heading to Slough station to continue their investigations into the fire.

UPDATE 3 at 02:53: Fire brigade incident officer now conducting investigations. GWR fitter on board as of 02:20.

UPDATE 2 at 02:05: Passengers have been de-trained. Taxis en route. Fitter is to make assessment of damage and depending on this assessment the aim is to move 1P90 into the Up Relief platform at Slough.

UPDATE 1 at 01:43: Fire brigade on site.

Maidenhead, Slough and Reading providing taxi's.

Initial: 1P90 21:51 Hereford to London Paddington reports a fire on board in Coach E. Emergency services en route.

2R95 holding at Slough. 2P00 holding at Reading.

1P90 train on fire Slough West

03:42 RIO (Rail Incident Officer) advises 5P90 is now in platform 5 at Slough station with the up / down main lines re-opened to traffic. The reason why the driver could not get brake release was the pass - com had been pulled in the toilet compartment and the fire had melted the pass-com handle.

----------------------------------------

03:34 5P90 now on the move into Slough station
up / down mains will be re-open

-------------------------------

03:09 RIO advises the BT Police have released the train to allow to move to Slough station, the driver is still being interviewed by the Police. GWR fitters have nearly completed their examination of the train and the fire brigade are now packing up and going clear of the railway. The emergency services are now heading to Slough station to continue their investigations into the fire

----------------------------------
02:45 RIO advises he has made contact with the GWR fitter and on call manager. The fire brigade incident officer is on the train starting his investigation.

02:35 RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) advised by GWR DCM

-----------------------------------------

02:27 GWR fitter at the access point walking to the train, the emergency services have completed a final sweep of the train removing any personal items they have found. All passengers have been removed and are at the nearby MacDonald's restaurant

-----------------------------------

02:11 RIO requested to speak to the PICOP (Person In Charge Of Possession) about shorting back T3 possession item 56. The fire brigade are at the moment clearing the affected coaches of smoke.

------------------------------

01:37 GWR duty manager advises there is 17 passengers who have been evacuated onto the track. The TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) Slough signaller advises the fire brigade have checked the train with nobody else left on the train, it appears the fire may have started in the toilets of coach F. There is two GWR managers enroute to the train.

01:44 RIO advises there is numerous passengers suffering from Breathing in smoke.

Lines remain blocked in the Slough area

----------------------------------

01:26 Emergency service update, the access point is at Berwick Road Slough.
Fire Brigade on site, via access at Berwick Avenue.

-------------------------------------

01:12 Hayes MOM (Mobile Operations Manager) on site acting as RIO.

----------------------------

01:04 TVSC Slough signaller advises the driver working 1P90 (21:51 Hereford to Paddington) has come to a stand on the up main with an unsolicited brake application. The driver believes it may be a possible pass- com activation with a report of a coach on the train smoking.

01:16 GWR advises they have evacuated the train with passenger now in the 10ft away from burning vehicle.

Berks Fire Brigade advised. Ref 7788.

RTT» (Real Time Trains - website): http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C50845/2016/03/10/advanced

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 12:19:00 »

Fire started in the toilet.  Hmmm... wonder how that might have happened.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 12:24:47 »

Electrical fault is one possibility.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 13:25:06 »

Thanks for posting the details, BNM.

Miscreants messing about in the toilets on a late night train is another possibility!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 20:46:15 »

Me too. However, there is no date on the article and I cannot see any abnormal activity on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) at that time in the morning in the last seven days so difficult to comment really. 

The article is dated 11th March 2016. Friday morning.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: