Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:05:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: GWR Performance Figures  (Read 113219 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2017, 11:28:10 »

Lots of data to chew over this month given the large number of cancellations we've been witnessing and discussing at some length on other threads.

Firstly, my usual HSS (High Speed Services) and LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) performance summary graph is attached and just judging by that you might think all is well.  HSS posted a respectable figure of 89.1% which lifted the MAA (Moving Annual Average) by 0.5% to 87.2%.  LTV's figure was 84.9% which again lifted the MAA, this time by 0.3% to 82.5%.  It goes without saying that the MAA rose so well as this time last year results were unseasonably poor.  Another poor month for the Bristol region saw figures of 84.9%, dropping the MAA 0.2% to 89.1%, which is now just 0.1% above the trigger level.

Turning to reliability, which is the current hot topic of course, and the following figures were posted by the various sectors:  HSS 98.9%, LTV 97.9%, Bristol 98.6%, Devon 99.3%, Plymouth & Cornwall 99.3%, and South Wales to South Coast 98.3%.  Whilst most of those are worse than normal it has yet to become bad enough to threaten the charter discount thresholds, except in the case of South Wales to South Coast which is now bang on the trigger mark of 98.5%.  LTV's figure of 97.9% is only 0.1% below the trigger level so it will have to get quite a bit worse to reach that level for the MAA which is currently 0.7% above that trigger level.  Recent removal of driver incentives for overtime (and other factors) might well make it get quite a lot worse though.  It will be very interesting to see next months figures.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2017, 13:14:48 »

It's worth reminding ourselves of the small print relating to punctuality and reliability statistics in GWR (Great Western Railway)'s passengers' charter:

All Monday to Saturday services are included in these calculations, except former First Great Western Link services. For those, we include Monday to Friday services. And we only include morning and evening peak services in the punctuality calculation. Peak services are the trains that arrive at London Paddington from 7am–10am and trains that leave London Paddington from 4pm–7pm. We don’t include Sundays and Bank Holidays in these calculations.

That might explain why those of us who have been heavily inconvenienced recently whilst trying to travel on local services in the Bristol/Westbury areas on Sundays might have difficulty recognising the reported performance levels as representative of our own experience. And as IndustryInsider suggests, we might expect next month's figures to deteriorate further.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2017, 13:49:04 »

Yes indeed, BandHcommuter.  I've also been logging data for 'all-day right time' and 'all-day PPM(resolve)' for the last five months which also covers the weekend trains and intend to produce a graph when I hit six months worth of data next period when the data will look meaningful.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2017, 01:57:16 »

Thank you for all of your work in compiling, interpreting and publishing these figures here, IndustryInsider.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2017, 12:59:06 »

The latest results are in...

Following a steady slump in punctuality over the last six months, the 'Bristol' sector has now breached its charter target for the Moving Annual Average (MAA (Moving Annual Average)) and so will trigger 5% season ticket renewal discounts.  Elsewhere, GWR (Great Western Railway) certainly won't be winning any awards as MAA's stayed pretty much level, although the South Wales to South Coast is 3% points lower than this time last year and only needs to drop 1% for discounts to apply there too.

Reliability wise, another month of high cancellation rates led to low figures of 98% and 98.7% being recorded for LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) and HSS (High Speed Services) respectively.  Though with trigger levels of 98% and 98.2% there will need to be several months of this sort of performance for the charter figure to be threatened.  South Wales to South Coast did drop below the magic trigger level having hovered close to it for a couple of months, so that's 5% of renewals until it improves!

From the situation a year ago, where only one trigger level was being breached (LTV performance), there are now three more - HSS performance, Bristol performance, and South Wales to South Coast reliability.

The usual graph for HSS and LTV is attached.  Following comments about the usefulness of the data on that graph, I've also included another graph which has the data for all-day figures, not just the peaks, and covers 'Right Time' and 'Public Performance Measure (PPM(resolve))' data for GWR overall, and the three main sectors - HSS, LTV and West.  The GWR MAA figure is also represented.  Looks a bit cluttered, but the figures are there for all to see - for example in mid-summer, if you caught a HSS train, there was less than a third of a chance it would arrive on time!

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #125 on: October 26, 2017, 22:37:59 »

Thanks, yet again, for that very informed detail, IndustryInsider.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
initiation

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2017, 14:08:58 »

I get notifications via text of short formations or cancellations for key times in the morning and evening on my route (still quite a short period of time) and it is more unusual to get a day that I don't get a warning vs everything working fine with no text!

With the new stock finally arriving perhaps things will slowly improve. I bet just as my renewal in April comes up we will sneak back over the trigger %.

ChrisB helpfully previously confirmed you don't get anything in this situation.

Correct, coz, on average over the full length of your ticket, they weren't below target.

Which is fine when viewed in isolation but this is a renewal for a ticket I had purchased for several years. So if someone else happened to have their renewal this November they would get the discount but come April, if the 12 month rolling average improves then I won't get anything. Despite having exactly the same delays, just spread over 2 tickets rather than one. Them are the rules they set though....

Hoping for 15 min delay repay in the next franchise.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2017, 14:18:43 »

Them are the rules they set though....

Hoping for 15 min delay repay in the next franchise.

They are indeed the current rules, and they are unfair in certain instances.  I would be very surprised if delay repay 15 doesn't feature in the next franchise.

Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 27, 2017, 23:16:29 »

Can't help but feel the discounts should be based on the "all day" numbers. This year in a completely non scientific way seems to have been one of the poorer one in my 20 years of commuting form Twyford.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2017, 07:47:31 »

But they would dilute (big time) the stats if based as is at the moment, possibly that regular late running in the peaks of say, 20mins, combined with few off-peak delays, wouldn't drop the stats enough to ever get your 5%.

Bear in mind that the calculation is for the benefit of seasons, generally used in the peaks
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2017, 16:37:22 »

Latest graphs attached, and a pretty unremarkable month worth of data showing on them as similar stats were achieved to last year.  Certain specific sectors continue to struggle though with regard to Passengers Charter performance.  Two more very bad months for the Bristol and South Wales/South Coast sectors saw their charter performance MAA (Moving Annual Average) drop to 88.1% and 89.4% respectively.  Bristol had already dropped into discount territory last month, and South Wales/South Coast now only needs to drop a further half percent to join it.

Reliabilty wise, Bristol Suburban's figure of 97% has now dropped its MAA to just 98.8%, which is just 0.3% above the trigger level.  Another bad month and that could mean a 10% renewal discount for those renewing over the New Year, which of course is quite a lot of people.

Usual graphs are attached...

harrybruno

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2017, 12:57:34 »

Hi. Thanks for posting these charts - GWR (Great Western Railway) don't seem too willing to post the history of the HSS (High Speed Services) season ticket PPMs(resolve) (which seem to be higher than the HSS PPM data - this i understand is a function of season ticket renewals being based off peak arrivals and departures to Paddington only?)

Do you have the underlying data/numbers for the monthly HSS PPMs (with the most recently figure being 83.2 for the 4 weeks from October 15th 2017)?

I'm trying to work out what figure GWR need to hit/magic up in December to take the HSS PPM above the 88.0 target! It must have to be near or higher than the highest 4-week PPM figure they've managed through the whole of 2017 (and the past couple of weeks have been pretty disrupted)

Thank you
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2017, 15:58:50 »

Hi, harrybruno and welcome to the forum.

The grey line on the HSS (High Speed Services) Punctuality graph is the monthly Peak PPM(resolve) that season tickets are based on.  As you say, the most recent figure is 83.2%.  Regarding next month, the equivalent month last last year was 81.2%, which although poor, I reckon this month would have to be pretty flawless in order for the 88% target to be met.  And of course it won't be, so I will eat my hat if that target is reached next month.

I've attached the actual figures for each month from the start of 2016.

harrybruno

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2017, 20:48:14 »

Great, thanks very much. Much appreciated.
Well if we assume a simple average and weight each period equally (though, for instance, were there a lower number of HSS (High Speed Services) running during the Swindon-Parkway electrification closure, which was a >88 period, in which case equally weighting may not be accurate), though 81.2 period drops out, i calculate that next month needs to be in excess of 91.5 to push the MMA to >87.95

I'll help you eat that hat! Thanks again
t0m

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2017, 09:55:09 »

For the first time ever I might get a discount on my season ticket renewal... Compensation at last!

Now bring on DelayRepay...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: