Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:49:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20
  Print  
Author Topic: GWR Performance Figures  (Read 113215 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 03, 2020, 11:51:12 »

Latest period graphs attached.  As to be expected, another solid month.  Bristol performance has climbed enough to come out of season ticket charter discounts for the first time since Autumn 2017, though of course season tickets renewals have fallen through the floor.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 05, 2020, 12:56:47 »

The latest period's graphs are attached.  The first of the two main periods that are affected by the leaf fall season, and the general slight dip in performance and reliability is probably the result of that.

Wales to South Coast has climbed above the season ticket trigger reliability threshold for the first time since I've been noting them down (over three years now).  This means only two of the ten categories are now below the trigger point for 5% renewal discounts,  Plymouth/Cornwall reliability, and London & Thames Valley punctuality.  The latter is still only at 82.4%, some 6.6% below the trigger level and now has fewer trains than before so the MAA (Moving Annual Average) is taking longer to respond to the affects of the pandemic, but it on a trajectory where it will be above the trigger level in four or five periods time.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 29, 2020, 13:36:24 »

The usual graphs are attached covering the period up to 12th December, so the last one where the leaf fall season had an impact on performance.  A general upward trend on the previous period, and far better results than the same period last year, meant the MAA (Moving Annual Average) (Moving Annual Average) either climbed or stayed steady across the board for both the punctuality and reliability metrics.

The Plymouth/Cornwall reliability figure was 98.1%, which is 0.4% below the season ticket discount threshold of 98.5%, but the MAA actually rose to 98.6% (last year the same period was a woeful 95.9%), meaning no more season ticket renewal discounts of 5%.  The only discount now offered across the network is 5% for LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) seasons as its punctuality metric is still below the trigger point.

This was all before the COVID related crew shortages and flooding events took hold though, so it will be very interesting to see how next period shapes up.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 25, 2021, 14:52:41 »

This was all before the COVID related crew shortages and flooding events took hold though, so it will be very interesting to see how next period shapes up.

Well, the data is in.  And it's a tale of highs and lows, or punctuality and reliability.

Punctuality was better than the corresponding period last year despite the flooding and crew shortages.  All six sectors saw their Moving Annual Average (MAA (Moving Annual Average)) rise, with HSS (High Speed Services) now at 93.5%.  The actual figures for the period weren't exactly amazing, but this time last year it was the launch of the new timetable, so everything took a bit of a hit as a result of that.

Reliability however came crashing down.  With Plymouth depot very much the worst hit with Covid related staff unavailability, we saw the Plymouth/Cornwall sector drop to just 90.4% reliability, which is over 5% lower (or twice as bad) as the previous low I'd noted in the last three years.  That was enough to drag the MAA down to 98.2%, below the charter discount trigger it had climbed above only one period ago!  The HSS figure was also poor at 95.4%, but that was only slightly lower than the same period last year, so the MAA dropped just 0.1%.

Graphs attached...

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 25, 2021, 14:53:21 »

Two more attachments...

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 25, 2021, 17:40:03 »

HSS (High Speed Services) 95.4% reliability in December?

How on Earth could that be the case given the large amount of foreshortenings & cancellations due to crew shortages?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 26, 2021, 12:33:38 »

At a (very) rough guess, a percentage figure like that would equate to around 300 cancellations over the period based on the daily number of HSS (High Speed Services) trains that run.  There were a few days with around 30 cancellations/part cancellations, but for over half of the period there were none or very few.

Also, I remember events outside of the railway's control were exempt from the original passengers' charter scheme that these figures are derived from.  Things like fatalities are covered by that, but I'm not sure about flooding.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 26, 2021, 17:43:31 »

At a (very) rough guess, a percentage figure like that would equate to around 300 cancellations over the period based on the daily number of HSS (High Speed Services) trains that run.  There were a few days with around 30 cancellations/part cancellations, but for over half of the period there were none or very few.

Also, I remember events outside of the railway's control were exempt from the original passengers' charter scheme that these figures are derived from.  Things like fatalities are covered by that, but I'm not sure about flooding.

Ah I see - so presumably all the COVID related crew shortage cancellations/part cancellations would have also been excluded from the figures as outside of the railway's control? That may also explain the figures appearing unrealistically good!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 26, 2021, 20:51:29 »

No. I think they would have been included, it is the ones relating to the flooding I am not so sure about. That would explain why the two sectors that Plymouth depot are partly responsible for supplying crews for (Devon/Cornwall and HSS (High Speed Services)) fared much worse than the others for cancellations.  Plymouth depot was of course where the COVID cases and self-isolations hit a very high level.

HSS would have planned to operate about 9000 trains during the period (again that is just my rough estimate) mostly on routes that were largely unaffected, so if there were around 300 hundred cancellations, which looking back at posts from the time looks about right, that would equal around 5%.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 18, 2021, 11:20:50 »

Normal (good) service has resumed following the previous period being affected by Covid-19 staff shortages and bad weather.

Graphs attached.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 22, 2021, 12:53:09 »

Latest graphs attached following Period 12's results.

As discussed in the Delay-Repay thread already, the big development was the LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) punctuality MAA (Moving Annual Average) (Moving Annual Average) climbing above the season ticket discount trigger level for the first time in as long as I can remember, and something that would have been unthinkable just over a year ago.  Obviously that is due to the Covid pandemic and the large uplift in performance as a result, but the MAA has climbed over 10% since the same period last year, to 91.4%.

Other sectors continued to post good results with all other MAA's rising with the exception of Devon reliability which stayed level at its already high mark of 99.5%.

The 'Plymouth/Cornwall' reliability metric is now the only one which is triggering a charter discount across the TOC (Train Operating Company), 0.2% below the trigger point of 98.5%.  That small increase might take some achieving though as the Covid affected period late last year led to a 90.4% reliability score which will be a big weight on the MAA until the end of this year.

With the announcement that season tickets will be dealt with under the Delay-Repay scheme, I wonder whether the traditional charter figures will continue to be published?  They are only directly relevant to season ticket holders, though give a reasonably accurate picture of how GWR (Great Western Railway) are performing.  Though, whatever happens, it is good news IMHO (in my humble opinion) that the much fairer Delay-Repay system will be applying to season tickets as well

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 22, 2021, 18:01:38 »

So much easier to run a railway on time without passengers!  Grin
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 22, 2021, 18:21:53 »

And commuting is so less stressful without having to go to the office... Grin
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 22, 2021, 20:28:52 »

And commuting is so less stressful without having to go to the office... Grin

A lot cheaper too!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 22, 2021, 11:59:26 »

One year on from the effects of the pandemic.

A huge leap upwards in train performance.  At the start of the pandemic we had five of the twelve charter groups giving a discount, that is now just one.  The number of trains that are arriving at stations early or on time throughout the day has increase by 13.6% from 66.7% to 80.3%, and trains arriving within 15 minutes - at the point the Delay Repay refunds start - has risen from 97.6% to 98.9%.

Where should the rail industry be striving to get to when normality returns?  Well, it's obvious that less peak trains will be needed than pre-covid levels, and perhaps less off-peak ones as well.  But it's also obvious that there will be many more passengers that we have seen over the last 12 months and the actual number of trains running is likely to return to somewhere between 90-95% of the pre-covid levels. 

Perhaps a figure mid-way between where we were at the start of restrictions and where we are now would be a good target point?

Usual graphs attached...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20
  Print  

Jump to: