Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:29:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
  Print  
Author Topic: GWR Performance Figures  (Read 113224 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 21, 2021, 13:37:54 »

Latest graphs attached covering up until the end of April.  Not much to say really, as performance and MAA (Moving Annual Average)'s have plateaued at high levels as expected.  Next period will of course cover the 9-days of major IET (Intercity Express Train) availability issues, so it will be interesting to see what affect that has.  Also going forward in subsequent periods the re-introduction of the large majority of trains for the Summer timetable coinciding with the relaxation of restrictions will have some kind of an effect I'm sure.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 23, 2021, 12:49:20 »

A distinct dip in performance last period (covering 2nd-29th May), which included the major disruption caused by the IET (Intercity Express Train) fleet near stoppage as well as increasing passenger numbers.

HSS (High Speed Services) recorded 90.9% punctuality and 96.3% reliability.  That's the worst punctuality score since the pandemic started and the worst reliability score in at least three and a half years, though I was expecting the figures to be worse - the punctuality score is still above target.  The other sectors also saw dips, presumably as part of the fallout from HSS, though they were much less pronounced.  However reliability on the South Wales to South Coast sector was 98.1% which was enough to drag the MAA (Moving Annual Average) (Moving Annual Average) down to 98.5% which triggers a 5% season ticket discount renewal...not that that's happening much these days!

Usual graphs attached...

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 12, 2021, 13:53:34 »

I got a bit behind, so here's two months for the price of one to catch up.

Two fairly poor periods.  Not too surprising given the increasing numbers of staff being pinged for Covid-19, as well as the arrival of summer and the on-going rolling stock issues.  Figures were still of a comparable nature to pre-pandemic levels though, so it shown the boost in punctuality you get when not running quite as many trains.

Usual graphs attached...

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 12, 2021, 18:40:34 »

I got a bit behind, so here's two months for the price of one to catch up.

Two fairly poor periods.  Not too surprising given the increasing numbers of staff being pinged for Covid-19, as well as the arrival of summer and the on-going rolling stock issues.  Figures were still of a comparable nature to pre-pandemic levels though, so it shown the boost in punctuality you get when not running quite as many trains.

Usual graphs attached...

Why should the arrival of summer affect performance?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 12, 2021, 19:02:43 »

Lack of staff due to the maximum number of people allowed being on annual leave.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 17, 2021, 12:18:39 »

Latest results cover up to 21st August.

Punctuality now largely back to what it was pre-pandemic, though of course the MAA (Moving Annual Average)'s will take a few months to reflect that.  Reliability scores for the period were very poor - 94.9% for Bristol and 95.2% for Devon is far worse than the typical 98-99% range.  Wales to South Coast was even lover at 93%, though has tended to fluctuate a bit more over the years.

As a result, the Bristol sector has breached its reliability threshold for the first time since mid-2019.

Punctuality graphs attached...

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 11, 2021, 11:22:39 »

Latest graphs attached covering up to 18th September.

Punctuality seems to be settling back to the place it was in during 2019, as mentioned last month. 

Reliability continues to be very poor though with three consecutive months of 4% or more daily services cancelled or missing stops.  That has had an impact on the Charter reliability as you would expect.  HSS (High Speed Services) and Devon sectors will be triggering a charter discount from next period unless things improve dramatically, joining Bristol, Plymouth/Cornwall and Wales/South Coast.  Only the LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) sector is still well above the trigger level.

4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 11, 2021, 12:02:39 »

Thank you for all this work - statistics beat anecdata any day of the week!

Looking at the numbers it would appear that the 'new normal' has a close similarity to the 'old normal' for the longer distance trains. Having said that the reduced numbers of IETs (Intercity Express Train) available have clearly had a strong influence on the results.

For the London and Thames Valley services is there any evidence that longer trains have had an influence in reducing boarding delays compared to the shorter Class 165/166 operated services? The 9 coach long Crossrail trains must also have had an effect even if they are not directly included in the GWR (Great Western Railway) statistics.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 11, 2021, 14:35:54 »

I think the biggest change for the LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) sector is that there are far fewer trains now being counted since TfL» (Transport for London - about) took over.  COVID muddies the water of course, but there can be little doubt that dwell times have reduced on the suburban trains into Paddington now.  The three doors per carriage of the Class 345s helps in that regard.

4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 13, 2021, 15:46:48 »

I think the biggest change for the LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) sector is that there are far fewer trains now being counted since TfL» (Transport for London - about) took over.  COVID muddies the water of course, but there can be little doubt that dwell times have reduced on the suburban trains into Paddington now.  The three doors per carriage of the Class 345s helps in that regard.
Ah! That's a point I hadn't considered - fewer trains being counted.

Does that mean that there will be no numerical published results for the FfL services in future? We'll have to make do with 'Good Service' or 'Delays' as classifications...?  Sad
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 29, 2021, 15:23:41 »

Two periods for the price of one this update!

The first one was pretty reasonable, the second one pretty poor.  Very poor in terms of reliability, where the HSS (High Speed Services) and Plymouth/Cornwall sectors both saw the MAA (Moving Annual Average) drop below the trigger point for season tickets.  The only sector not now triggering for reliability is the LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) sector.

Punctuality is generally better, but still dipping to the kind of levels we were seeing pre-pandemic.  Perhaps not too surprising?

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 28, 2021, 12:31:34 »

Latest graphs attached showing the period up to 11th December 2021.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 23, 2022, 11:42:37 »

A couple of periods worth of data shown in the graphs below.  A general rise in punctuality accross the two periods.  Not shown in the graphs is the reliability which was, as you'd expect, very low until miraculously recovering to very high levels last period when the amended 'temporary' timetable was brought in.

Depending on which side of the fence you sit, that could either be described as 'a perfect response to make sure passengers could rely on the service over a challenging period', or 'a blatant attempt to massage the figures and sneak through longer term permanent cancellations'!

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 23, 2022, 11:43:47 »

Two more graphs:

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 20, 2022, 11:47:49 »

The period covering up to Saturday 5th March is attached.

Not a huge amount to report.  A pretty good month for punctuality.  And pretty good for reliability (which isn't shown in the attached), with the 'temporary' timetable in operation.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
  Print  

Jump to: