Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:53:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: GWR Performance Figures  (Read 113241 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2017, 18:28:10 »

Well open to fraud this, and I can eventually see it being stopped. I find this interesting, and thanks for the enlightenment.

I find it hard to believe that there aren't many pax out there putting in claims for delays they never experienced....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2017, 21:26:14 »

So, you're saying that someone with a zonal ticket shouldn't be allowed to claim compensation for a delay because others may commit fraud?

Almost all ticket types (Advance Purchase excepted) can be submitted for a fraudulent claim. If the ticket hasn't been head code stamped there's no way for the TOC (Train Operating Company) to know which service it was used on.

Prohibiting legitimate claims because a very small minority commit fraud isn't the answer.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2017, 07:00:01 »

Prohibiting legitimate claims because a very small minority commit fraud isn't the answer.

I would agree with that - however, I can't help noting that modern society puts a huge burden on the majority who are going about their normal day to day lives because of a minuscule minority who would abuse the system.

* Think of all that airport security against - well - what proportion of travellers would be attempted terrorists?

* Think about how reluctant "you" are to offer people you don't know a lift in your car (assumption being made there) because of a tiny minority who would [insert nasty action] when travelling with you.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2017, 15:49:35 »

The RDG(resolve) (Rail Delivery Group) are now publishing performance figures that record 'to the minute' figures alongside the Public Performance Measure figures that have been published for many years.  Importantly these figures now include station stops en-route, rather than just the terminal stations, at the 80% of stations where that data can be recorded.  They pledge to increase the 80% which will be achieved slowly through existing signalling schemes (such as the one between Preston and Blackpool and the North Wales coast), and I suppose GPS technology or the GSM-R (Global System for Mobile communications - Railway.) radio system could also be adapted to be used for such a purpose?

https://www.raildeliverygroup.com/metrics

According to the blurb this will give the most transparent performance figures in Europe.  Along with various other tools on the web, such as www.realtimetrains.co.uk and www.mytrainjourney.co.uk it really is a fantastic amount of information that is now available.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 17:09:28 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2017, 18:09:06 »

A slight typo in your second link II  Smiley
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2017, 17:12:09 »

Now resolved, with my apologies for the delay in dealing with this issue. CfN. Embarrassed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2017, 13:25:58 »

A much better month for HSS (High Speed Services) punctuality at 90.3%, and an OK month for LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) at 83%.  The LTV figure much less than this time last year though, so again the MAA (Moving Annual Average) drops, this time to 82.2%.  The HSS MAA rose by 0.1% to 86.7%.

A better, but still disappointing figure for the Bristol services saw its MAA drop to 89.3%, which is now just 0.3% above the trigger level.  However a run of quite poor results this time last year means it is probably unlikely to hit the trigger point for a few months, though it needs figures in the 90s to be sure of that.

Reliability (trains ran) for LTV dropped to 97.4% as a result of the often trotted out 'more than usual trains needing repair' and 'shortage of train crew' dropping the MAA 0.1% from 98.8% to 98.7%.  Dicount trigger is 98%, so still some way to go.

The South Wales-South Coast sector's reliability was a very poor 97.4% which means the trigger discount of 98.5% is perilously close to being breached as it currently stands at 98.6%.  Not sure how many season ticket flows would qualify for a discount on that sector though?

Latest graph attached.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2017, 13:32:26 »

I feel we're getting complacent - to describe nearly 1 in 5 trains that are late (83%) in a period as 'OK' isn't right, sorry. It's poor to appalling frankly
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2017, 13:46:21 »

I agree, it was only 'OK' in a comparative sense with the figures over the last year or so.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2017, 08:55:38 »

Reliability (trains ran) for LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) dropped to 97.4% as a result of the often trotted out 'more than usual trains needing repair' and 'shortage of train crew' dropping the MAA (Moving Annual Average) 0.1% from 98.8% to 98.7%.  Dicount trigger is 98%, so still some way to go.

When exactly are the "more trains than usual needing repair" going to have been repaired? this "unusual" scenario has been going on for months now.

(and I agree with Chris B - one in five trains late is anything but "OK", relatively or otherwise)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2017, 09:02:49 »

All the stock being let go has had maintenance regime cut back. Now they stay longer, a catch up is needed. Of course, this hasn't been planned in advance, thus takes longer than if planned in advance
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2017, 09:25:52 »

All the stock being let go has had maintenance regime cut back. Now they stay longer, a catch up is needed. Of course, this hasn't been planned in advance, thus takes longer than if planned in advance

Which and how much stock is being "let go"? ........I know some of the Turbos are being moved around, but that's not the same thing.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 03, 2017, 11:01:17 »

With regard to the eastern end of the network, the four remaining 180s go by December, and HST (High Speed Train) sets start disappearing steadily from late this year I think.  GWR (Great Western Railway) has no say in those dates (other than hopeful begging to whom they are destined to go) as the lease arrangements expire.  To replace them there are the new IET (Intercity Express Train) 800s due from this October, and the new Class 387 fleet can be much better utilised when full Didcot to Paddington usage is introduced with them in January - 45 4-car sets is the final order, and there are already around 30 delivered, but several are spare as the wires only currently go as far as Maidenhead and the driver training programme continues.

Turbos then move to the western end of the network, and they along with the short formation HST's we have been discussing (which fill the gap in the number of Turbos that can now be moved owing to electrification delays/cutbacks) allow GWR to release six single carriage Class 153s which are going to London Midland, and eight 2-car Class 143 pacers which will be almost certainly heading to the scrap heap (at last!).

I would expect the rolling stock situation to be significantly improved upon in January, but can't see much improvement until then.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2017, 16:41:59 »

Thanks very much for that detailed response II - looking at the state of the service between London and the Westcountry today, improvement can't come soon enough.
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2017, 18:10:59 »

Certainly from Totnes today,  5 cancellations today for London.

One no train manager, but 4 due to train faults. Might give the train a miss for a few months.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: