Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:15 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:26:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: GWR Performance Figures  (Read 113216 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #165 on: June 03, 2018, 16:40:18 »

Interesting thought. You're suggesting that figures to an Irish reliability standard should be achieved on lines such as Gunnislake, Melksham and Newquay where service are less frequent far less frequent services?

If they all started from Pad, like those referenced started from DUB, yes. ie, many many more run out out of PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) in any hour than do out of Heuston.....
harrybruno

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 04, 2018, 09:02:15 »

Does any one have the data for HSS (High Speed Services) Reliability for the first two 4-week periods of 2018 (covering January & Feb)? I don't have a record. It looks like HSS Reliability discounts will be due for much of the rest of 2018 at this rate.
Thanks all

I have the third period - 4th to 31st March, and the whole year's averages April '17 to March '18 inclusive.  Any use?

Thanks, i have those. My guess is the period prior to that at the beginning of 2018 was little better!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 04, 2018, 10:36:58 »

Two months of figures to add to my usual graphs, and as expected the general performance dive-bomb continues over pretty much all sectors with only the Plymouth & Cornwall sector able to hold its head up high, although even there you can see signs of a slight dip over the (admittedly excellent) figures from last year.

So, in terms of season renewals HSS (High Speed Services) reliability has now gone below the trigger mark, so with punctuality already well below it the maximum 10% season ticket renewal discounts are now applying as they are with the LTV (London [and] Thames Valley), Bristol and Wales to South Coast sectors.

HSS and LTV have seen their punctuality MAA (Moving Annual Average) (Moving Annual Average) drop by over 2% in the last period, with Bristol scoring even worse and dropping 3%.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
t0m

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 03, 2018, 21:57:20 »

Looking forward to the addition of the latest figures to these charts..those numbers aren't getting much better!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 03, 2018, 22:26:30 »

Looking forward to the addition of the latest figures to these charts..those numbers aren't getting much better!

Funnily enough I updated my spreadsheet earlier so should be able to publish them tomorrow.  Anyone really keen to see the data can always check the website of course.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #170 on: July 04, 2018, 06:42:59 »

Funnily enough I updated my spreadsheet earlier so should be able to publish them tomorrow.  Anyone really keen to see the data can always check the website of course.

It was July last year that the bottom fell out of the performance (at least on the TransWilts) - and the sharp rise in post numbers here, July 2017 over June 2017 suggests to me that wast't just a local problem we were talking about.    So from next month onwards, a moving annual average which replaces last year's figure for a month with the new figure for this year will tend to move to a flat line, but at a lower level that it used to be.

If MAA (Moving Annual Average) is used to define "usual", do reasons for delay that contain the word "usual" may have less validity from now on?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 04, 2018, 11:43:03 »

Latest graphs attached...

Results from last period were generally a little up on the previous couple of months, the notable exception being Devon punctuality which has been over 90% every period since the beginning of 2016, but for some reason plummeted to 86.4%.

Another eye opening statistic is the HSS (High Speed Services) 'Right time' figure dipping below 25% - although those results are a month behind the charter ones.

It was July last year that the bottom fell out of the performance (at least on the TransWilts) - and the sharp rise in post numbers here, July 2017 over June 2017 suggests to me that wast't just a local problem we were talking about.  So from next month onwards, a moving annual average which replaces last year's figure for a month with the new figure for this year will tend to move to a flat line, but at a lower level that it used to be.

The general West area started to struggle big time last July, but HSS and LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) were a little late to the party - HSS around October, and LTV at the turn of the year, (though results before were hardly spectacular) so both of those could still have some way to fall.  Part of the reason for starting this thread was so results could be monitored over several years, so that claims of 'good news' of a Moving Annual Average rising wasn't masked by the fact that it is still 5% worse than it was two years ago.  Not that there's any imminent sign of any MAA (Moving Annual Average)'s rising much!

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 04, 2018, 12:03:32 »

Thanks for posting the latest update II.  I was looking at the claim made by NR» (Network Rail - home page) a few days ago that the RT MAA (Moving Annual Average) for the whole UK (United Kingdom) network had doubled upwards since it took over in 2002.  However, if you look at the chart they published (can't seem to find it again at the moment), the RT MAA started at an all time low post Hatfield so it was bound to go up (I would hope).  In fact the chart shows that the RT MAA has been falling since 2008 so things are getting worse, not better (oh well, I suppose you can always explain away the figures to make them look good).

So, it would be interesting to see the effect of the dismal NR performance on the GWR (Great Western Railway) performance, but I suppose there aren't any charts that show that......

Edit to add: Found the NR info again https://www.networkrail.co.uk/who-we-are/how-we-work/performance/public-performance-measure/
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 12:11:23 by SandTEngineer » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 04, 2018, 12:11:17 »

Four more graphs attached as though I don't want to make this thread to data intense, it's only right given the discussion about Moving Annual Averages in other sectors that I display the same graphs for them using data since the beginning of 2016.

The collapse of the 'Bristol' area figures surprised me looking at it in graph format, and 'South Wales to South Coast' also paints a sobering picture.  Only 'Devon' and the fantastic results from 'Plymouth/Cornwall' make easy reading for the GWR (Great Western Railway) management team!

So, it would be interesting to see the effect of the dismal NR» (Network Rail - home page) performance on the GWR performance, but I suppose there aren't any charts that show that......

They're probably buried somewhere, but very difficult to find.  Historically the delay totals have been attributed roughly 66% to NR and 33% to the TOC (Train Operating Company), but it would be interesting to see if that is slowly changing in either direction?

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 04, 2018, 12:12:53 »

I've edited my post above as I found the NR» (Network Rail - home page) chart again. Roll Eyes Tongue
WelshBluebird
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #175 on: July 04, 2018, 12:45:37 »

The collapse of the 'Bristol' area figures surprised me looking at it in graph format

As someone who travels in the "Bristol" area a fair bit (mainly the local stopping services between Bath and Bristol, and the Severn Beach line) I am not surprised at all, if anything I am glad my general feelings from the last 6 or so months aren't totally just in my head! (obviously not glad the situation is as poor as it is, but glad my general feelings are backed up with real data).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 13:06:38 by WelshBluebird » Logged
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 04, 2018, 12:54:35 »

So are the HSS (High Speed Services) figures worthy of a 10% discount come my renewal later this week?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 04, 2018, 14:01:33 »

Yes they are.  Punctuality is 82.8% with a 5% discount trigger of 88%, and Reliability is 98% with a 5% discount trigger of 98.2%

ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 04, 2018, 15:49:09 »

They're probably buried somewhere, but very difficult to find.  Historically the delay totals have been attributed roughly 66% to NR» (Network Rail - home page) and 33% to the TOC (Train Operating Company), but it would be interesting to see if that is slowly changing in either direction?
Some of that data can be found here http://orr.gov.uk/statistics/published-stats/statistical-releases and the figures for GWR (Great Western Railway) are 63% NR, 25% GWR and 11.8 other TOC's, although these are for 2016/2017. I am sure I have seen newer quarterly figures that showed a massive increase in in the GWR figures.

A lot of data can be found here http://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/browsereports/3, but as an example, number of trains cancelled in May 2018 2054, in May 2017 716, the worst recent month is Feb 2018 with 3,423 and as far as I can tell that is the highest ever figure for GWR. Note that these aren't exact months as there are 13 x 4 week reporting periods a year.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 04, 2018, 15:57:34 »

Thanks for those links.  Page 18 here makes interesting reading...…
http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/27759/passenger-freight-performance-2017-18-q4.pdf

PPM(resolve) failures attributed to GWR (Great Western Railway) increased by 171% in Q4 of 2017-18 compared with Q4 in 2016-17. This was mainly due to increases in PPM failures attributed to Fleet delays (up 106%), and Train Crew causes (up 348%).

PPM failures attributed to Network Rail increased by 39% in Q4 of 2017-18 compared with Q4 in 2016-17. This was mainly due to an increase of 296% in PPM failures attributed to Severe weather.

Apologies to II for hijacking his thread Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: