23/03/24 - Trains restart - Minehead
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 04:17:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
  Print  
Author Topic: GWR Performance Figures  (Read 113093 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 19, 2020, 13:44:31 »

Stats for the last period attached.  The storms will have affected figures to a certain extent, but it's difficult to say how much.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 13, 2020, 16:43:05 »

Latest figures attached, covering March basically.

This was the first period affected by the Covid 19 alterations.  The first two weeks were the normal timetable with largely normal passenger numbers dipping slightly towards the end of the second week.  The third week was a normal timetable but with a very rapidly decreasing number of passengers.  The fourth and final week was the first week of the new temporary timetable with the trains virtually empty.

A general upswing in the figures, but given the alterations, it's not really worth trying to analyse performance too much, save to say that I expect next period to show some very good results - it's amazing how trains run to time when there aren't very many of them and no pesky passengers!  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 14, 2020, 12:15:03 »

We were expecting a leap upwards in the performance figures but I never thought I'd ever see a 100% score being recorded, which was the 'Reliability' score for the Devon sector!

All results are largely academic though as barely anyone was travelling to appreciate them, though as I touched on last month it is an interesting experiment to show how performance increases exponentially when there are fewer trains on the network that is usually creaking at the seams.

It's interesting when you consider that the number of services operating during the emergency timetable, is, on several GWR (Great Western Railway) routes off-peak, the same as it was during the late 70s and early 80s, indeed sometimes more.  They include Paddington to South Wales, from Paddington to Bristol, Paddington to Oxford, Oxford to Didcot, Didcot to Reading, stoppers between Paddington and Reading, CrossCountry services between Reading and Birmingham and many others.  Not so many slow moving 45mph Class 7 freight trains to get in the way nowadays, but plenty of faster freight.

Perhaps it indicates what a good job the current operators and Network Rail do?  Perhaps it indicates that we are trying to run far too many trains on a crowded network?  It would be interesting to see if all the operators ran, say, the 1983 timetable for a day, what the punctuality figures would be.  Perhaps some rose-tinted spectacles would have to be taken off?

Anyway, the usual graphs are attached (all day, all station punctuality to be added).  There appears to be an error with the LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) sector MAA (Moving Annual Average) (Moving Annual Average) which dropped from 80.1% to 79.7% despite a 98.6% figure being recorded for the period.

UPDATE:  All day all station punctuality graph now added.  The 'on time' percentage was higher than the usual 'within 3 minutes' percentage.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 11:48:01 by IndustryInsider » Logged

Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 23, 2020, 00:31:26 »

Any thoughts on how compensation will be worked out? These figures do distort the numbers a bit if you were relying on your normal 5 or 10% discount.

I bit the bullet in the end and applied for a refund but the 10% discount was a big factor in holding off as the numbers didn't quite add up.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 23, 2020, 08:25:07 »

It would be interesting to know if anyone kept their season ticket if they had an annual one?  Or whether any special measures will be introduced to reflect this unprecedented period of railway operators.

I’ll certainly be looking closely to see if any sectors rise above discount trigger levels as a result of the emergency timetable.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 23, 2020, 08:42:11 »

We were expecting a leap upwards in the performance figures but I never thought I'd ever see a 100% score being recorded, which was the 'Reliability' score for the Devon sector!

Perhaps it indicates what a good job the current operators and Network Rail do?  Perhaps it indicates that we are trying to run far too many trains on a crowded network?  It would be interesting to see if all the operators ran, say, the 1983 timetable for a day, what the punctuality figures would be.  Perhaps some rose-tinted spectacles would have to be taken off?

Surely we have moved on since 1983 in terms of infrastructure, technology, reliability, fewer strikes etc?

Perhaps if you could strip out all the delays due to staff shortages, failed trains, infrastructure failures etc it would be an interesting comparison?

I would imagine that with so many spare crew and trains sitting around doing nothing at the moment, it considerably mitigates most of the usual problems?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #246 on: May 23, 2020, 08:49:02 »

It would be interesting to know if anyone kept their season ticket if they had an annual one?  Or whether any special measures will be introduced to reflect this unprecedented period of railway operators.

I’ll certainly be looking closely to see if any sectors rise above discount trigger levels as a result of the emergency timetable.

Interesting to note from the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) Stakeholder conference - but a lesson across the industry

a) DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have declined to change the season ticket refund algorithm though they were asked if they wanted too.  There was a school of though that suggested that season tickets should be refunded "pro rata" so (for example) an annual ticket turned in after six months should get a 50% refund, as the turning in was not really the choice of the purchaser.  However, the situation remains that a six month season period is calculated and the refund is the difference between that an the annual. Example:
Swindon -> London Terminals
12 months - £9272
6 months - £5340
Suggested refund (50% on 50% of year used) - £4636
Actual refund due - £3932

b) ppm figures are still being carefully logged (GWR (Great Western Railway) too) and there is muted celebration of how good they are - nothing to suggest that they won't be used in any future discount level calculations, even though based on a sub-franchise emergency measure service level.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 23, 2020, 13:01:23 »

I find both 'A' and 'B' disappointing.

As someone who was initially expecting to be working as usual I faced a much reduced service. At the same time though if I didn't carry on travelling and 'cashed in' I was probably going to be several hundred pounds or more out of pocket.

To then use the much reduced service as a basis for Season ticket renewals seems a double whammy. I get a worse service and have to pay more next renewal.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 23, 2020, 15:45:23 »

Surely we have moved on since 1983 in terms of infrastructure, technology, reliability, fewer strikes etc?

Perhaps if you could strip out all the delays due to staff shortages, failed trains, infrastructure failures etc it would be an interesting comparison?

I would imagine that with so many spare crew and trains sitting around doing nothing at the moment, it considerably mitigates most of the usual problems?

Yes, I guess that’s largely the point I was making.

GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #249 on: May 23, 2020, 16:00:58 »

I did see one cancelled run earlier, but now gone; shortage of crews already.....really?

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 12, 2020, 18:46:54 »

Graphs covering up to 30th May attached.  The last period covers two weeks of the initial emergency timetable, and two weeks of the expanded one we now have.

Again, figures were high but only of any real interest for historical reasons as precious few benefited from them.  The published LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) sector MAA (Moving Annual Average) for punctuality still looks to be wrong, and by my reckoning should have climbed to just over 81%.  At least some of the graphs are making a fairly pleasing shape of a dragon!

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 09, 2020, 13:19:46 »

Graphs for the latest period attached.  Emergency timetable operating throughout.

The 'Wales to South Coast' sector MAA (Moving Annual Average) (Moving Annual Average) has climbed above the charter discount rate for punctuality.  Otherwise, nothing much to report.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 05, 2020, 14:03:23 »

Usual graphs attached.  Covid-19 emergency timetable running throughout.  Again not much to report, though a general uplift on last period. 

Had you been one of the few travelling on a GWR (Great Western Railway) train over the last four months, chances are you'd have arrived at your destination early, with more than an 85% chance of you being on time.  Wink

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 06, 2020, 09:40:11 »

Graphs for the latest period, covering up to 22nd August, attached.

A noticeable drop off in performance with more passengers and trains now returning to the timetable.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 03, 2020, 11:46:09 »

This period included one week of the new timetable, with a significant number of trains returning.   There was a general uplift in performance following the slight dip last month, which is encouraging given the extra trains that were running, though interestingly this wasn't reflected so much in the all-day figures.

Usual graphs attached...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
  Print  

Jump to: