Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:20:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: National Railcard discounts - ongoing discussion, no longer date specific  (Read 55928 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2016, 20:24:00 »

If you're approaching renewal time for any one year Railcards, or buying your first one, then now is the time to do so.

All National Railcards* currently have 20% off when purchased online through the official Railcard website. That brings the price down to ^24 for all Railcards, except the Disabled Persons' which is reduced to ^16.

http://www.railcard.co.uk/web/

It's good to see the Disabled Persons Railcard being included in a promotion and also good to note that it can be applied for entirely online now. No need to send proof of entitlement paperwork by post as was the case in the past. Now you can scan and upload your proof of entitlement paperwork with your online application. That's given me the impetus to re-apply for one. I've been entitled to one for some time but hadn't bothered.

* Railcards in the promotion:

• 16-25 Railcard
  • Family & Friends Railcard
  • Senior Railcard
  • Two Together Railcard
  • Disabled Persons Railcard

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 16:07:15 »

I'm unable to decide whether to renew my 16-25 railcard now at the discount, or wait until the very last minute just before my 26th birthday (in June) at the full price.

I have two lots of travel before then, both reimbursable by my employer, so I don't really need the discount for these.  Several longer leisure distance trips planned, but all later in the summer.

Hmm, thinking the full price purchase in June will probably be the best option.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 17:46:09 »

I boought my mother her first one on hearing this.

I was dissuaded from buying one for myself in advance, then presented with one on my recent seminal birthday. I was glad to see that the discount applied to that also.

Now, please!
Sam290893

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 09:13:45 »

I prefer ordering the railcard on-line as your photo and everything is on one card unlike when you go to the station to buy it they give you the photo card and then the card with the expiry date on. Am 24 in August am tempted to buy a 3 year one two weeks before my birthday!   
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 11:52:28 »

I don't think you can get 3-year Young Person /Student (YP) cards....

Edit:VickiS - Clarifying acronym
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 23:58:36 by VickiS » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 12:17:58 »

I don't think you can get 3-year YP cards....

You can. ^70. Online only. Can be purchased up to the day before your 24th birthday.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 13:05:49 »

You can. ^70. Online only. Can be purchased up to the day before your 24th birthday.
Online only, but when I tried online purchase required a passport or driving license, so at the time I wasn't able to get one (my passport had expired, I think it has been re-issued now as we needed it for proof of ID for something else).

I'm unable to decide whether to renew my 16-25 railcard now at the discount, or wait until the very last minute just before my 26th birthday (in June) at the full price.
I'm in the same suituation. I'm waiting until June, hope the station don't complain that I'm renewing a few days before my current one expires (I've asked on here before and I seem to recall others said that is allowed).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 13:11:15 »

You're not required to produce your current one, and the ticket office have no record of card purchases, so they won't actually know you have a current one....
Sam290893

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 01:22:14 »

Yeah you can it's ^70 online and can be bought within a certain time frame before your 24th Birthday
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 13:28:34 »

Just a reminder that Devon residents can get 20% discount on Senior Railcards at any time.
https://www.journeydevon.info/save-money/on-the-train/senior-railcard-disabled-persons-railcard/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 14:36:29 »

There's also a continuing 10% discount for online applications for one year 16-25, Two Together, Family and Senior Railcards.

Enter promo code: SEARCH10 when buying online.

Currently works, unsure of expiry date.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 20:34:40 »

I think BNM's discount reference above works all/most of the time but only for the first online application by the respective individual.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 21:45:03 »

...or possibly the second with a different email address. Wink

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 22:00:17 »

Which information I passed to a young lady on the train I was chatting up talking to.

Now, please!
teamsaint

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 16:10:52 »

On the subject of Railcards, anybody know why the time restriction on 2 for 1 railcard is now 9.30 rather than 10.00 ?

don't suppose this will be rolled out to other cards?

on a different subject, I was wondering about easements for railcards.

There is a train which leaves Grateley at 9.59 for Waterloo, and calls at Andover about 5 minutes later.
Railcards can be used from Andover , as departure is after 10.00, but it would make sense to allow them to be used from Grateley, as people will just be driving into Andover to make use of the railcard saving.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 16:16:56 by teamsaint » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: