Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:41:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: National Railcard discounts - ongoing discussion, no longer date specific  (Read 55927 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2016, 21:30:08 »

But it gets even more complicated. The 16-25 is valid before 10:00 on tickets with a discounted price of ^12.00 or more.

Except there's no minimum fare at weekends, on bank holidays, or in July or August, or on a full moon (probably).

One of the best innovations ever tried on the privatised railway was in the early days of Central Trains, when rather than faffing with railcards, advances, super off-peaks, half savers, groupsaves, great escapes (contd. p74) they just Made The ----ing Fares Cheaper.
....One of the best comments I have ever read in the Forum!
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2017, 17:13:35 »

Just found out about this today !
TWO TOGETHER Railcard usually is £30:00 apply online and get £3:00 off
Details at Two together-railcard.co.uk / leaflet    Discount code leaflet3.
Thought it might be of some use.
Edit: this offer runs until May 20th 2017.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 17:20:12 by Western Pathfinder » Logged
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2017, 20:09:37 »

Thought this was the normal online price for any national railcard + £70 for three years...

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2017, 10:10:39 »

Thought this was the normal online price for any national railcard + £70 for three years...

Indeed so. Please don't tell me of any offers, as I've just forked out £70 to renew my grandad card.

(BTW (by the way), I did it online last Wednesday afternoon. It arrived Thursday - impressive!)

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 10:59:17 »

Be careful.  I know someone who ordered their card on a Monday, received it Tuesday and lost it by Wednesday!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2017, 21:42:37 »

Indeed so. Please don't tell me of any offers, as I've just forked out £70 to renew my grandad card.

The various discount offers for Railcards are almost always for the one year variant. Those offers rarely undercut one third (£23.33) of the three year £70 price.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2017, 21:43:37 »

Be careful.  I know someone who ordered their card on a Monday, received it Tuesday and lost it by Wednesday!

Was that me? Lost a few Railcards in my time.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2017, 22:38:44 »

Actually it wasn't but now you mention it....  Grin
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2017, 22:17:00 »

My two together card cost me ten pounds and my other railcard is valid from 0930 onwards (it used to be 10am) what railcard is it.... for bonus points guess how many swear words were directed at me in my old job for not selling the unofficial 0959 easement from grateley
teamsaint

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2017, 22:55:48 »

My two together card cost me ten pounds and my other railcard is valid from 0930 onwards (it used to be 10am) what railcard is it.... for bonus points guess how many swear words were directed at me in my old job for not selling the unofficial 0959 easement from grateley

Eh? What unofficial easement ?

In a rare moment of bothering to try to get something done about anything, I asked SWT (South West Trains) to consider this easement, which has the benefit of total logic on its side. They waited a couple of months,  apologised for making me wait, and then said they had no intention at all of introducing such a  thing.
So can you buy a ticket from Andover and use it from Grately, ( unofficially), or what is the deal ?

It's a bit less of an issue ( for me ) now that parking is actually possible at Andover, , and usually impossible at Grateley, but that isn't really the point.......

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2017, 12:46:59 »

Unofficial in that it is not an valid easement at all ..unofficial in that some staff did it anyway to avoid the abuse which lead to more abuse for the staff who followed the rules,the train is at 0959 the railcard is valid after 10am so by selling a ticket for the 0959 discounted with the network card is not valid and by boarding train with said ticket said person would be travelling without a valid ticket and could be subject to a penalty fare

i'm not really sure why you took what i wrote and that lead you to believe that you could board at grately  with an andover ticket ... so without a valid ticket... struggling with your logic on that one i'm afraid!

As a railcard holder you really should be aware of the terms and conditions and its validity (you signed to say that you were)  below is a full list of legitimate valid easements for your railcard along with the t&c's for said product

http://www.network-railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/travel-times/

http://www.network-railcard.co.uk/help/railcard-terms-conditions/
TM

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2017, 13:46:58 »

Unofficial in that it is not an valid easement at all ..unofficial in that some staff did it anyway to avoid the abuse which lead to more abuse for the staff who followed the rules,the train is at 0959 the railcard is valid after 10am so by selling a ticket for the 0959 discounted with the network card is not valid and by boarding train with said ticket said person would be travelling without a valid ticket and could be subject to a penalty fare

i'm not really sure why you took what i wrote and that lead you to believe that you could board at grately  with an andover ticket ... so without a valid ticket... struggling with your logic on that one i'm afraid!

As a railcard holder you really should be aware of the terms and conditions and its validity (you signed to say that you were)  below is a full list of legitimate valid easements for your railcard along with the t&c's for said product

Some years ago the T&C of the Network card were changed from not being valid on trains SCHEDULED to depart before 10 o'clock to not being valid on trains departing before 10 o'clock.  This means that the Network card is valid on any train that departs at 10 o'clock and later.  If the 0959 departs 1 minute late then your Network railcard ticket would be valid.

Network Railcard discounts are not valid on tickets for travel before 10.00hrs, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays). This time restriction applies to all types of tickets.

Above is quoted from the Network Railcard T&C. 

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2017, 13:54:37 »

That is 100% correct :-) ... i did start typing that however felt it was best not to complicate things ... however in this case unless you arrive to purchase your ticket and know the train is delayed (in which case you would be well within your rights to purchase onboard as the tvm will not sell before 10am)if you already have your tickets when you find out that the train is late then the only thing you can do with this information is apply for a refund of the difference if the train departs after 10am
teamsaint

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2017, 21:22:07 »

i just wondered what you meant by "Unofficial Easement, "is all.
I don't know why you think I am unaware of the T and Cs of a Network Railcard, as I thought my post made clear that I was aware that the 9.59 is outside the terms of the card's discount.
If there is any logic I was looking for, it is just that fares from Grateley and Andover to London, are identical, I think.
Easy to misunderstand on these forums though.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 21:29:43 by teamsaint » Logged
teamsaint

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2017, 15:44:08 »

Checking a couple of fares just now, it looks as though an easement may have been allowed on the 09.59 from Grateley to Waterloo.
( That's if you can find a car parking space of course)

Edit: Ignore this, I was looking at fares on a 2 together, which allow railcard from 9.30.

Still don't understand why two together should have a preferential starting time to  Network Railcard, but there you go......
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 15:49:17 by teamsaint » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: