Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 05:35:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[92] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[81] Return of the BRUTE?
[69] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[50] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: National Railcard discounts - ongoing discussion, no longer date specific  (Read 55934 times)
Class 50

View Profile Email
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2017, 17:23:18 »

If this scheme is revenue neutral and boosts rail use, that’s good for the environment and the economy.

It should be rolled out for everyone.
I seem to think Railfuture had a National railcard Campaign , but this wa dropped as it was not revenue neutral , let’s start it again , I want a discount ..
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2017, 17:32:48 »

If this scheme is revenue neutral and boosts rail use, that’s good for the environment and the economy.

It should be rolled out for everyone.
I seem to think Railfuture had a National railcard Campaign , but this wa dropped as it was not revenue neutral , let’s start it again , I want a discount ..

I've not seen the maths, or any consultant's briefs or assumptions about a railcard to cover the dwindling gap between the younger and older railcards, but I suspect they could be designed to be revenue neutral or indeed to bring in more revenue. Problem is they would also bring in overcrowding, so make services more costly to provide.   You're not just looking at revenue - you have to consider both sides of the balance sheet.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2017, 17:45:13 »

Something on Radio 4 earlier today leads me to think that this card will not be subject to the Peak Time restrictions of other railcards???.
Wish I could add more but the washing machine was going at the time !...
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2017, 19:49:23 »

In Switzerland virtually no one, bar the occasional tourist, pays full prices for public transport as I believe there is a national travel discount card scheme (for purchase, but the savings far outweigh the outlay) available to all.
For the record the annual Swiss GA (Greater Anglia) [General Abonnemont] (which includes unlimited travel on all transport modes) is currently (with an exchange rate of CHF 1.25):
Adults £3088
16-25: £2120
Senior : £2304
Dogs (yes, really!): £628

Unsurprisingly 5% of the population has one.  Furthermore about half of the population have the half-fare card.

This shows what can be done with an integrated transport system (I have to declare an interest here; I am one-quarter Swiss  Wink )
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2017, 00:08:37 »

Something on Radio 4 earlier today leads me to think that this card will not be subject to the Peak Time restrictions of other railcards???.

The current 16-25 Railcard doesn't have a time restriction as such. Just a minimum fare of £12 before 10am. If your journey is before 10am and costs £12.05-£17.95 it will be discounted to £12. If the fare is £18 or more then it's discounted by 34%.

The 26-30 Railcard trial has the same conditions.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2017, 19:43:09 »

The current 16-25 Railcard doesn't have a time restriction as such. Just a minimum fare of £12 before 10am. If your journey is before 10am and costs £12.05-£17.95 it will be discounted to £12. If the fare is £18 or more then it's discounted by 34%.

The 26-30 Railcard trial has the same conditions

There is a very subtle difference between the 16-25 and 26-30 railcards with respect to the £12 minimum fare. The minimum fare is not applicable during July and August for the 16-25 railcard, but will remain in force all year round for the 26-30 railcard

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2017, 20:17:29 »

Will a 3-year 26-30 railcard bought the day before the 30th birthday be valid for 3 years still?

Now, please!
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2017, 20:22:22 »

Will a 3-year 26-30 railcard bought the day before the 30th birthday be valid for 3 years still?

There will not be a 3-year version of the 26-30 railcard. However, just as the 16-25 railcard for 25 year olds, a 26-30 railcard purchased just one day before their 31st birthday will be valid for 12 months.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2017, 20:24:46 »

In the case of the 16-25 railcard, a three year purchase is not available in the final two years of eligibility.  So regardless of whether you buy one or three year versions, the latest you can keep the card is the day before your 27th birthday (except for students).
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2017, 23:32:00 »

That still means you only need to pay full fare for a maximum of 29 years.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2017, 23:53:04 »

That still means you only need to pay full fare for a maximum of 29 years.

Not if you lop off a limb.  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2017, 13:16:03 »

the latest you can keep the card is the day before your 27th birthday

Not quite, I purchased my wifes card a few days before her 26th birthday online, and because they allow an extra couple of weeks to cover postage, it was valid for about 12 days into her 28th year
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2017, 16:45:46 »

Are there any fraud prevention measures built into the digital versions of the various railcards?

From the images I have seen of the 26-30 Railcard and the actual digital 16-25 Railcard, there is very little difference.

I have a naturally suspicious mind and what is to stop an existing owner of a digital 16-25 railcard just creating a digital image of their card and fraudulently creating a new card (either 16-25 or 26-30)? Or, for that matter just finding an image online and using something akin to Photoshop (other image editing software is available) to create their own railcard?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2017, 17:21:46 »

I expect there are fraud prevention measures.

Obviously the Rail Delivery Group won't be telling us what they are.  Wink

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2017, 18:45:39 »

I expect there are fraud prevention measures.

Obviously the Rail Delivery Group won't be telling us what they are.  Wink

I am almost into my third year of holding a Senior Git Railcard (I know, I don't look it), and I have been asked to produce it just once.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to: