Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:31:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  
Author Topic: National Railcard discounts - ongoing discussion, no longer date specific  (Read 55923 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2017, 18:54:38 »

I expect there are fraud prevention measures.

Obviously the Rail Delivery Group won't be telling us what they are.  Wink

I am almost into my third year of holding a Senior Git Railcard (I know, I don't look it), and I have been asked to produce it just once.

I have only had one for 5 months and have been asked for it every time I have been asked for my ticket on the train (which is probably only twice out of the about 10 times I have used it) but every time I buy a ticket the old fashioned way I am asked for it.  I am surprised I am not asked for the number when I buy online.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2017, 19:09:17 »

I have only had one for 5 months and have been asked for it every time I have been asked for my ticket on the train (which is probably only twice out of the about 10 times I have used it) but every time I buy a ticket the old fashioned way I am asked for it.  I am surprised I am not asked for the number when I buy online.

I buy online almost every time. It surprises me that I don't have to enter the number, although there are probably many people who buy tickets for other people. Maybe it would not be possible to insist on the card reference unless tickets are going to be made personal. On the few occasions I have bought a ticket on the train, I produced the card without being asked.

Now, please!
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2017, 19:35:20 »

Currently, if a railcard is eyeballed at every available opportunity, there is still no foolproof mechanism to verify the authenticity of the railcard.

There is no central database for railcards bought at ticket offices; not all railcards require photographs and whilst guidelines exist as to what name is printed on a railcard, the cardholders name is a free-format entry field. I've seen cards issued in the name of (eg) 'J Bloggs', when the holders name is actually Mrs Joan Bloggs.

I doubt the level of fraud is particularly high, but the potential is there.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 19:40:47 by PhilWakely » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2017, 20:32:06 »

I suppose that there is also the fact that even if the card is bogus or not the holder's, a ticket has still been purchased, making it less of an issue than downright fare evasion for the hard pressed Train Manager (TM(resolve)).

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 10:49:47 by VickiS » Logged

Now, please!
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2017, 09:58:18 »

I buy online almost every time. It surprises me that I don't have to enter the number, although there are probably many people who buy tickets for other people.

As I understand it you need a valid rail card to use the appropriate discounted ticket, not to buy it.  I bought some tickets at the weekend for my family to travel in February with a Friends and Family (F&F) railcard discount.  I wasn't planning on buying a Friends & Family (F&F) rail card until shortly before the travel date.  I assume that is all legal. 

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Abbreviation
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 10:53:39 by VickiS » Logged
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2017, 23:14:19 »

I buy online almost every time. It surprises me that I don't have to enter the number, although there are probably many people who buy tickets for other people.

As I understand it you need a valid rail card to use the appropriate discounted ticket, not to buy it.  I bought some tickets at the weekend for my family to travel in February with a F&F railcard discount.  I wasn't planning on buying a F&F rail card until shortly before the travel date.  I assume that is all legal. 

Current T's & C's from the F&F railcard website...

"Tickets for your journey should be purchased before boarding the train and when buying tickets you must show the Railcard. This does not apply if there was no ticket office at the station at which you began your journey or if the ticket office was closed and there was no ticket machine from which you could buy discounted tickets."

However I know that this is not always rigidly enforced..

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2017, 11:51:52 »

Current T's & C's from the F&F railcard website...

"Tickets for your journey should be purchased before boarding the train and when buying tickets you must show the Railcard. This does not apply if there was no ticket office at the station at which you began your journey or if the ticket office was closed and there was no ticket machine from which you could buy discounted tickets."

However I know that this is not always rigidly enforced..

I have never waved my card at the computer. So far, I have got away with it.

Being serious, I helped a niece to save a pile of cash with split tickets to Edinburgh. I advocated buying a "Two together" card  as the saving exceeded the cost. We got the tickets two months in advance, the card the day before travel. I guess it's legal because there was no ticket office at my laptop.

Now, please!
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2017, 19:14:47 »

New TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) installed at some Great Northern stations have a QR (QR Code - Quick Response code) code scanner above the touchscreen.  As I can see, this serves no purpose at the moment.  I understand that the new app based railcards include a QR code.  I could see this possibly being used as an authentication measure at some point in the future.

Also, on-train QR code checking will become more common (tickets issued on rolls of paper, and some tickets from ticket machines already include a QR code), so I would think checking of the app railcard's barcode could become part of this process.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2021, 08:26:36 »

I bought my first digital Railcard yesterday. I'm eligible for the Disabled Persons Railcard, but hadn't bothered renewing in 2020 for two reasons - had a car, and lockdown. However, following my renewal of a qualifying state benefit, and in hope that we will see the easing of restrictions as planned, I decided it was time to get my Railcard again. Also in hope that I'll be released from NHS house arrest on 1st April.

The online application and buying process was simple and straightforward. I just had to upload a scan/photo of my qualifying benefit award letter (or proof of age document for aged related Railcards), and a digital passport style photo. The latter was a phone selfie taken against a plain background. I did this yesterday afternoon. I then awaited a download code email. That email arrived at 7am this morning. Much quicker than the old postal method. DSB Railcards have never been available to purchase at stations.

With that download code it's just a matter of installing the Android/iOS Railcard app to one's smartphone, then entering said code when prompted. Et voila, one Railcard stored on my phone.

The security seems pretty good. There's a QR (QR Code - Quick Response code) code. And out of curiosity I tried every method I could think of to screenshot the Railcard, but all attempts are either blocked or black screened. Even connecting my phone to my Windows laptop and trying 'Print Screen' failed. Top marks to the Rail Delivery Group for the excellent fraud prevention measures.

Now, I just have to hope I get the chance to use it for leisure journeys before too long...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 08:32:34 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2021, 20:40:23 »

....but if your 'phone battery goes flat and the RP inspector can't see evidence of railcard or ticket are you technically not in possession of the required travel documents and therefore committing an offence?

Card is king,

OTC
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2021, 21:20:01 »

On train charging point, dont forget your USB lead though...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2021, 21:26:24 »

....but if your 'phone battery goes flat and the RP inspector can't see evidence of railcard or ticket are you technically not in possession of the required travel documents and therefore committing an offence?

Card is king,

OTC

Phone battery going dead is no more likely than losing or forgetting the card. And the Rail Delivery Group and TOCs (Train Operating Company) recognise these things can happen and offer leeway on first 'offence' by allowing you to provide proof after the fact. You can claim back any additional expense (excess/penalty fare) on that first 'offence'. Lose your card a second time, or allow your battery to go flat twice, then that's you're own fault. Tongue

Battery anxiety is a thing - I suffer from it. But I always try to ensure I go out fully charged, and if it's a longer trip I'll have a charger on me. Most long distance and regional trains have power sockets these day.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2021, 22:25:03 »

I always try to ensure I go out fully charged, and if it's a longer trip I'll have a charger on me. Most long distance and regional trains have power sockets these day.

It's well worth buying a 'phone charging battery pack. You don't have to worry about finding a (working) USB socket - also they will charge your 'phone a lot quicker than a socket. I got an excellent one from Aldi, an assortment of sockets on it and is appreciably smaller than my 'phone.
I stuck a Velcro patch onto it so that I can also mount it on plate which fits the flash socket on my Digital Single-Lens Reflex camera (DSLR) to recharge my camera battery as well.

Edit:VickiS - Clarifying Abbreviation
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 10:05:21 by VickiS » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2021, 23:25:36 »

also they will charge your 'phone a lot quicker than a socket.

That depends on the charger, and the phone's battery capacity and condition. My current phone charger pushes 10V at 5A for 50 watts when plugged in at home. 0-40% in ten minutes. Full charge in under 40 minutes. I don't know of any compact power banks (ie. smaller than the phone) that'll push 50 watts. I'd be wary of any power bank from Aldi that claims a high wattage!

Does anyone know what amperage on train sockets typically push?

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  

Jump to: