17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
10:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
12:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
10:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
12:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 12:21:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[317] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[88] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[56] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[32] Where have I been?
[31] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[26] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Worcester Parkway project  (Read 90232 times)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2014, 18:48:23 »

Sorry Chris, the problem with local news articles is that don't archive all articles. Grin
The "source" from Wikipedia, for example is now dead.

However, I can categorically state that it was reported that Shrub Hill would close.

Think about it - there is very little place for Shrub Hill as it is; it only exists due to the track layout restricting use of Foregate Street.
To be honest, re-doing the track layout and signalling would be a better use of the money!

As for Malvern Link - this is my opinon, but I know a lot of South Worcester people drive there (as the traffic in Worcs is a nightmare) and they would switch to Parkway. Can Malvern support 2 stations on its own?
Unixman

View Profile Email
« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2014, 19:29:43 »

Sorry Chris, the problem with local news articles is that don't archive all articles. Grin
The "source" from Wikipedia, for example is now dead.

However, I can categorically state that it was reported that Shrub Hill would close.

Think about it - there is very little place for Shrub Hill as it is; it only exists due to the track layout restricting use of Foregate Street.
To be honest, re-doing the track layout and signalling would be a better use of the money!

There is, however, a massive plan that will redevelop the area to the east of the station which could mean that it is economically viable to keep SH. Caveat: I have no idea the current state of the plan - this link is from a couple of years back:

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/9732026.City_s_biggest_ever_revamp/

Update: http://www.ggassociates.co.uk/articles.php?artid=29&l=1#

Notice that there is a plan for a footbridge ....

http://www.ggassociates.co.uk/gallery/gallery.php?imageid=70
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 20:24:25 by Unixman » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2014, 19:46:54 »

Thanks for posting, Unixman, and welcome to the Coffee Shop forum.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2014, 15:14:22 »

I see many London Midland services come in to Worcester Shrub Hill from Birmingham and go out of service (they park on the centre track or behind platform no2)

And when do you suggest the drivers take their breaks? Yup, after they've parked up. Going out to Evesham would require further stock, extra driver hours....additional costs. I doubt it would be cost effective for LM (London Midland - recent franchise).

The infrastructure does need sorting out perhaps at the same time as the signalling ! This is on the cards to be done.

Errr, not quite. Been put back into Control Period 6 and likely to be CP7 before it gets high enough up the list to be done.

I think as a medium to long term plan, the opening of Worcester(shire?) Parkway and redoubling of the line from Norton Junction to Evesham West Junction, together with resignalling in the Worcester area, will pave the way for services to be extended through to Evesham to provide a half-hourly service throughout the day.  It probably wouldn't be cost effective for LM, as ChrisB says, but that's where subsidies from the local bodies may come in and any staffing and stock costs would not be too astronomic.

Certainly that's for well in the future though when the new station is well established, and the infrastructure have been improved.  Possibly nearer in the future you might be able to squeeze the odd extra train in the peak hours to improve the commuting service from Evesham and Pershore - and Worcester Parkway may well be the added factor that allows that to reach the tipping point in favour.  A LM extension would be the obvious choice.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
martvw

View Profile Email
« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2014, 00:22:42 »

At last some positive talk about the Worcester Parkway Station. I for one think that the Worcester Parkway Station will be a good boost for Worcester. Close to the M5 and the southern link road (the council know this road is a pain, but it is to be sorted). The railway infrastructure does need to be sorted out two tracks on the Cotswold line would be better (it will come). As for the two stations at Malvern its had two stations for well over a century both are well used and the town keeps growing so no need to close one. Worcester Parkway will be as popular as the Warwick Parkway station , but will be here on our door step. Lets take things one step at a time! its coming.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2014, 09:35:03 »

There is NO way the this station will ever reach the popularity of Warwick Parkway!

Even with a tad of latent demand appearing, where are all the current pax accessing the railway currently? And why would most of them get in their cars now & drive to this Parkway rather than stay accessing where they do currently?
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2014, 10:16:56 »

There is NO way the this station will ever reach the popularity of Warwick Parkway!

Even with a tad of latent demand appearing, where are all the current pax accessing the railway currently? And why would most of them get in their cars now & drive to this Parkway rather than stay accessing where they do currently?

I agree that it would not be a similar station to Warwich Parkway, but it does have some striking parallels to Stratford Upon Avon Parkway, and even Tiverton Parkway.

People who work in Worcester, but are fed up of the high traffic volumes that build up on the approaches to the town centre might use is.  People who live in the surrounding villages and east side of Worcester might use it (though many might be existing passengers using it instead of Shrub Hill or Pershore).  Finally, it may well be useful as an interchange station for people travelling from/to Gloucester/Cheltenham and the Cotswolds/Oxford as it will likely reduce journey times on any other option available currently.

Certainly it doesn't make my 'top 10 list of things which have to be built ASAP', but I think it will prove successful, even if on a more modest level than the likes of Warwick Parkway.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2014, 10:26:19 »

Agreed, and should hopefully see something better at Shrub Hill eventually.

I suspect it's in for the long haul, as it'll requite a 'request' from the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) in the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) invitation to tender to 'persuade' them to stop....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2014, 11:03:29 »

It needn't be a request.

Service Level Commitments can be written in to the tender as compulsory.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2014, 11:17:00 »

That's what I meant, hence request in quotes....
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2014, 20:17:56 »

I doubt they'll want to slow the Bristol to Bham XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service.

It already takes 90 minutes for just 90m!

The trains are also packed and they won't want Pershore/ Shrub Hill / Malvern Link commuters swamping the trains just for a quicker journey to Birmingham.

(it will be about 30 mins to New Street instead of 40 mins - plus no traffic near Shrub Hill to battle through)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2014, 09:54:17 »

Like many others I dont believe Shrub Hill will close as it is always well used. The only thing letting it down is the service frequency during the day compared to Worcester Foregate Street. I drive the Henwick Park - City Centre - Worcester Royal Hospital bus very regulary so I regulary go past shrub Hill station and there is always a lot of people going there.

The redevelopment plans for Shrub Hill station is slightl delayed according to reports in teh local newspaper a week or two ago.

One concern I do have is whether or not the council will actively promote Worcester Parkway as a park and ride site as they have failed to actively promote th park and ride facilities in Worcester now resulting in less people using them. so much so the council are pulling the plug and Worcester is going to be hell to drive in come September.

I can also see the council diverting services 550/551 Worcester - Pershore - Evesham to serve this station as well
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2014, 19:02:00 »

"Like many others I dont believe Shrub Hill will close as it is always well used."
"Is" is the question mark. If Worcester Parkway is built, what will be the Shrub Hill use then? I suspect that Parkway would take a lot of the current Shrub Hill use.
Re the failure of Worcester City/County councils to promote Park and Ride, they need to do something like Oxford. Put up the city centre parking charges so that the inconvenience of using P & R gives it a financial attraction. Make the city centre all day parking charge ^25, as in Oxford, and more people would use P & R & Parkway instead and reduce city centre traffic congestion. There would be a lot squeals from existing city centre car park users and from city shops. To get a real change you have to bite that bullet.   
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2014, 23:57:32 »

There would be a lot squeals from existing city centre car park users and from city shops. To get a real change you have to bite that bullet.   

Perhaps the opening of this new station would give them the confidence to bite this particular bullet!?

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2014, 10:38:06 »

I can't really see the point of building Worcester Parkway if the fast Bristol Birmingham's don't stop there.

Also I would sugegst it would be politically very difficult to shut Shrub Hill even if Parkway took a lot of it's traffic. If they can't shut Denton with one train a week in one direction then Shrub hill becomes impossible.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: