Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:15:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 'The Tarka Tourer' - HST to Barnstaple, Sunday 17 April 2016  (Read 19392 times)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2016, 12:46:27 »

I thought this had been mentioned elsewhere, but cannot find it.  UK (United Kingdom) Railtours, in conjunction with GWR (Great Western Railway) is running The Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Explorer from London Paddington to Barnstaple on Sunday, 17th April.

I will hazard a guess that it will be GWR's 'Green One' and it is as good as sold out. Timings are as follows...........

1Z17 0837 London Paddington to Barnstaple
5Z17 1229 Barnstaple to Exeter New Yard
5Z18 1506 Exeter New Yard to Barnstaple
1Z18 1625 Barnstaple to London Paddington

For single line pathing reasons, the empty stock has to return to Exeter whilst the tour visits Woody Bay, so anybody wishing to photograph an HST (High Speed Train) on the Tarka Line, you will have four opportunities during this tour.

[mods, if this already has a separate thread, please just merge this in, edited to show the confirmed timings please]
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 15:36:13 »

Struggled to find it via Google. Because the name is actually The Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) TourerWink

http://www.ukrailtours.com/product/the-tarka-tourer-125-special/

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 17:34:00 »

Is there much to see or do in Barnstaple on a Sunday afternoon?
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 20:28:38 »

Most pax are participating in the included coach trip to Woody Bay and the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway, so, "Yes"
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 20:52:15 »

Thanks Phil, unfortunately the Woody Bay excursion is fully booked. I'm travelling on the HST (High Speed Train) so looking forward to a good day out.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 16:50:01 »

I would have been on it if it went the proper way!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 19:01:36 »

It's surprising that there is no mention of this on the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Rail website, as it would have been a bit of good publicity for the line, even if locals didn't have the opportunity to use it.  Having said that, the website hasn't been updated since June last year, which is starting to reflect somewhat poorly on the association.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 19:06:20 »

Well I hope the return trip keeps to time as I will be on a train that is scheduled to overtake it at Newbury Roll Eyes Tongue
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 19:16:33 »

Most pax are participating in the included coach trip to Woody Bay and the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway, so, "Yes"

Thanks Phil, unfortunately the Woody Bay excursion is fully booked. I'm travelling on the HST (High Speed Train) so looking forward to a good day out.

Apologies Rob, I hadn't realised you had asked the question as you were actually travelling. The answer is still 'Yes'. If you are up for it, I would recommend a walk along the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Trail from Barnstaple station.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 07:22:32 »

I will hazard a guess that it will be GWR (Great Western Railway)'s 'Green One'.....

Apparently not - just a common or garden FGW (First Great Western) blue one  Embarrassed
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 09:06:51 »

.........interesting that we're often told that there are no spare sets for more capacity/services as they are all either in use or in for regular maintenance, and that regular services are being cancelled due to staff shortages........... this (along with staff jollies) however appears to be exception?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 09:14:54 »

.........interesting that we're often told that there are no spare sets for more capacity/services as they are all either in use or in for regular maintenance, and that regular services are being cancelled due to staff shortages........... this (along with staff jollies) however appears to be exception?

Sunday's I believe are the exception for stock availability. I haven't seen any HSTs (High Speed Train) cancelled due to lack of staff, all seem to be dmu units that cancel.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 09:22:34 »

Sunday's I believe are the exception for stock availability. I haven't seen any HSTs (High Speed Train) cancelled due to lack of staff, all seem to be dmu units that cancel.

That being the case, I look forward to extra regular HST services being run from the Westcountry to London on Sundays, as someone who uses these regularly from Plymouth they are hugely and often dangerously overcrowded, and will definitely be so today as the school holidays come to an end - the response I always see when the request is made to GWR (Great Western Railway) for more of these services is along the lines of all stock is being fully utilised..............maybe I should offer large amounts of cash to charter a set and it will magically materialise......all aboard the Plymouth - Taplow express!!!  Cheesy
John R

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 09:30:43 »

Am I the only one to feel this is a very mean spirited comment. Can GWR (Great Western Railway) do nothing right in your eyes? I think most of us with an interest in railways would welcome their cooperation in making a set (and presumably crew) available. They have also run charity specials, leased a set to the Cotswold Line Promotion Group now and again, and, yes, very occasionally given some of their staff a day out, which I would encourage in terms of trying to make employees proud and happy to be part of the business. Not to mention initiatives such as the Weymouth Wizard and encouraging its use last summer.

I'm not aware of any events today that are putting pressure on the network that might warrant an additional service, so I for one am delighted that GWR have made a set available for this special.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 10:11:15 »

Am I the only one to feel this is a very mean spirited comment. Can GWR (Great Western Railway) do nothing right in your eyes? I think most of us with an interest in railways would welcome their cooperation in making a set (and presumably crew) available. They have also run charity specials, leased a set to the Cotswold Line Promotion Group now and again, and, yes, very occasionally given some of their staff a day out, which I would encourage in terms of trying to make employees proud and happy to be part of the business. Not to mention initiatives such as the Weymouth Wizard and encouraging its use last summer.

I'm not aware of any events today that are putting pressure on the network that might warrant an additional service, so I for one am delighted that GWR have made a set available for this special.

.....and telling customers that there are no spare sets is a very disingenuous comment.This isn't a charity special, it's a commercial charter. As for "pressure on the network". I'd invite you to travel on any HST (High Speed Train) between Penzance and Paddington after midday today,it may prove enlightening.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: