I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:24:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Waterloo station upgrade launched  (Read 24898 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2016, 23:29:02 »

Network Rail and SWT (South West Trains) have officially announced the start and schedule for the planned work to increase capacity at Waterloo. They have headlined it as costing ^800 million, which sounds a lot for stretching platforms 1-4 a bit and reopening 21-24. I'm sure they are counting the Class 707 order in that, and probably other things too. I'm also a bit puzzled why it would take nearly two years (ending December 2018) to make Waterloo International operation again, unless they are going to do a lot to the track.

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)'s report in this case confuses things somewhat - I can't see platforms 1-4 serving Reading! But NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s statement, as well as SWT News, are a bit more factual:
  • Rebuild the former Waterloo International Terminal, allowing platforms 20-24 to be brought back into use with modern facilities, new track and signalling and a layout suitable for thousands of domestic passengers.
  • Extend platforms 1-4 to allow longer ten-car trains to run to London suburban stations. This work will take place during August 2017 and requires significant changes to the usual passenger timetable.
  • Create a spacious, modern and accessible station concourse near platforms 20-24.

There should be a DfT» (Department for Transport - about) announcement too, but I can't see one (apart from a similar sounding one about new platforms and trains from 2011!)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 08:44:22 by stuving » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 06:50:41 »

Network Rail and SWT (South West Trains) have officially announced the start and schedule for the planned work to increase capacity at Waterloo. They have headlined it as costing ^800 million, which sounds a lot for stretching platforms 1-4 a bit and reopening 21-24. I'm sure they are counting the Class 707 order in that, and probably other things too. I'm also a bit puzzled why it would take nearly two years (ending December 2018) to make Waterloo International operation again, unless they are going to do a lot to the track.

There is a lot of trackwork required to make the former International platforms work for domestic services; the International platforms were designed for I think 8 tph (4 in and 4 out) and have very limited connections to the domestic network.  There is also quite a bit of structural work to alter the old International station internal layout.

This announcement may also include the re-signalling already going on in the Waterloo area an perhaps the forthcoming Feltham re-signalling.

Its about time the owner of the International station (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) got their fingers out, if it had been anyone else leaving a major asset like that used in such a key transport hub there would have been questions in the House and much feet holding to flames in Select Committees.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 07:45:23 »

I heard this is causing problems for GWR (Great Western Railway) as a planned diversion into Waterloo might not be able to happen.  Last I heard was a rumour they were investigating the possibility of HST (High Speed Train)'s into Victoria!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 08:14:14 »

I heard this is causing problems for GWR (Great Western Railway) as a planned diversion into Waterloo might not be able to happen.  Last I heard was a rumour they were investigating the possibility of HST (High Speed Train)'s into Victoria!
Interesting. Here's a challenge for someone, has an HST ever visited Victoria before?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 10:17:06 »

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)'s report in this case confuses things somewhat - I can't see platforms 1-4 serving Reading! But NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s statement...

I think the main NR article has been updated since yesterday.   It previously included a link to an earlier article that included a timeline for the works, but this timeline seems to now be included.   

The timeline actually first surfaced in January, and showed that they have separated the platform work for the international platforms to allow temporary use next summer to work on P1-P8, but they will then re-close the international side for its new concourse and retail work to be finished:  http://www.networkrail.co.uk/wcip/   That earlier piece also does include a false statement that P1-P8 would close for a period in August 2017 to allow for 10 car trains to run to Windsor and Reading.   

The current misleading info seems to be that the work will allow 10 car trains to run on the main suburban side for the 'first time', yet they already run in small numbers into higher numbered platforms, i.e. other than the short P1-P4.

Paul
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 10:04:57 »

From the Architects' Journal:
Council approves plans to convert Grimshaw's former Eurostar terminal into shops
2 November, 2016 By Colin Marrs

Corstorphine + Wright has won permission to transform part of the former Eurostar terminal at Waterloo into shops, restaurants, cafés and bars – after Historic England declined to consider the Grimshaw structure for listing

London Borough of Lambeth’s planning committee last night (1 November) gave the thumbs-up to the new scheme to overhaul the former international departures and arrivals lounges, creating 12,444m² of new facilities.

Work has already started on revamping the five platforms within the disused station - the landmark building with its lattice-work arches which sits above the proposed shopping and leisure complex - to increase the number of domestic train services into Waterloo.

In May the 20th Century Society applied for the entire structure to be Grade II listed, but this option has been rejected by Historic England.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 11:46:59 »

I don't see any architectural merit at all in the concrete box structures that exist below platform level.

The problem for me (with a range of similar articles over the years) is that they often don't adequately explain which area of the station they are going on about.   I wish they'd emphasise more that they are at the outside (York Rd) street level, and one floor above, and won't really be seen from the station concourse.

Paul
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 21:27:49 »

A leaflet from Network Rail and SWT (South West Trains) I was given a few weeks ago states that fewer trains will run into Waterloo between 5th to 28th August 2017 because platforms 1-9 will be closed so they can extend platforms 1-4 . These platforms are used for routes via Wimbledon.

Detailed information will be published later about how routes and stations are going to be affected.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 10:04:29 »

It was announced at the beginning of July that platform 10 will be closed as well as 1-9. Supposedly this is to make sure the work can be finished in the time allowed. So, whatever you had been expecting, expect worse!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 10:55:35 »

It was announced at the beginning of July that platform 10 will be closed as well as 1-9. Supposedly this is to make sure the work can be finished in the time allowed. So, whatever you had been expecting, expect worse!

I think it's because the track layout (S&C (Settle and Carlisle )) changes in the throat extend much further out than originally expected. So preventing trains reaching P10. This might be an indication that certain works that should have been completed in advance were not done when planned.  As well as the obvious lengthening of P1-4, P5-6 are being shortened, and the nose of P7-8 is being realigned.

It's surprising there's not yet been detailed 'before and after' track plans in the rail mags, it's been known that the former international platforms and approaches were finished some months back, test running started a few weeks ago.

Another news item is that for the last (short Tue-Fri) working week of August, while London Bridge area is closed, Southeastern are running a 2 tph Ramsgate service into P21/22.

Paul
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:27:20 by paul7755 » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 20:44:53 »

Another news item is that for the last (short Tue-Fri) working week of August, while London Bridge area is closed, Southeastern are running a 2 tph Ramsgate service into P21/22.

To achieve this has take 8 months of prep work on the Linford Street Curve, since Eurostar ceased the line had been effectively mothballed, the electrification equipment had suffered severe damage due to lightning a number of years ago, the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) agreeing to leaving it out of service, a temporary solution is being put in place for this August use and possible use at Christmas. 

Driver route training commence at the beginning of July

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 21:24:15 »

Most of the material produced on this upgrade (both material and immaterial) has the logos of NR» (Network Rail - home page), SWT (South West Trains), and "funded by UK (United Kingdom) government". However, NR's animated video showing what they are doing (on SWT's upgrade site) ends with "in partnership with" LCR as well as the other two. Do they still have some form of ownership of the erstwhile international terminal?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 22:25:20 »

Most of the material produced on this upgrade (both material and immaterial) has the logos of NR» (Network Rail - home page), SWT (South West Trains), and "funded by UK (United Kingdom) government". However, NR's animated video showing what they are doing (on SWT's upgrade site) ends with "in partnership with" LCR as well as the other two. Do they still have some form of ownership of the erstwhile international terminal?

Yes LCR do as their web site says For over 20 years, LCR has been managing, developing and disposing of property assets within a railway context, and in particular assets associated with major infrastructure projects. As guardians of public land, we have a role to play in the Government’s drive for homes, jobs and economic growth.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 22:45:39 »

LCR are not really who you think they are. They no longer own the CTRL (Channel Tunnel Rail Link) (HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel)) and are essential another government owned property company.  For a full explanatiom see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_and_Continental_Railways
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 12:14:14 »

The traditional timelapse video of the 'orange army' of work so far completed can be viewed here:

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/timelapse-60-000-man-hours-in-60-seconds#

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: