Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:08 Newbury to Bedwyn
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:20:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Collision between two trains at Plymouth Station - 3 April 2016 - merged topic  (Read 47479 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 20:43:00 »

I suspect you might have fallen foul of the forum's broken "Show unread posts since last visit" function.

Although it occasionally breaks - I find it works most of the time and it is certainly working for me thi evening. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 20:48:18 »

Agreed: it's rather less broken than the nose of Sir Moir Lockhead (the named power car involved in that collision).  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 21:14:22 »

Here's hoping they can find a new nose for Mr Lockhead. I understand they are in rather short supply. A replacement shnozz may have to be manufactured specially. I've read elsewhere that the original BR (British Rail(ways)) moulds have long since been disposed of.

And no jokes about my own olfactory appendage, thanks.  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2016, 21:17:10 »

A case of BR (British Rail(ways)) cutting off the nose to spite the face, then - with the benefit of hindsight?  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2016, 21:29:19 »

http://m.plymouthherald.co.uk/Plymouth-train-crash-extremely-unusual-says-Great/story-29043920-detail/story.html        latest update......."extremely unusual"....One would certainly hope so!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2016, 21:36:15 »

As an aside, another HST (High Speed Train) power car (43041) had some fairly drastic alterations made to the cab, in an incident at West Lavington in July 2010.  From the Daily Mail:

The driver walked away with only a fractured wrist and a few cuts and bruises after the tree crashed through the windscreen of the train.

It must be possible to rebuild the noses of power cars, then.  Wink

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2016, 22:28:08 »

I may be wrong but I believe that 43041 got the last 'off the shelf' replacement cab.

And just to show there's nothing new under the sun, here's an image of a collision at Newton Abbot in 1994 (I am in no way comparing the specifics of the incidents though):

Picture credit: Colin J. Marsden

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2016, 22:34:37 »

There have been several cab replacements since, not because of accident damage but because they were becoming life expired and for corrosion work on the frame.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2016, 22:37:57 »

I may be wrong but I believe that 43041 got the last 'off the shelf' replacement cab.

What??  You mean Hornby have sold out of them??  Shocked

And just to show there's nothing new under the sun, here's an image of a collision at Newton Abbot in 1994 (I am in no way comparing the specifics of the incidents though)

Good find - and, as you suggest, some remarkably similar damage there.  Roll Eyes

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2016, 22:54:10 »

There have been several cab replacements since, not because of accident damage but because they were becoming life expired and for corrosion work on the frame.

Are they still 'off the shelf' from the original moulds or specially manufactured these days? I'm reading conflicting information about what's left in the HST (High Speed Train) parts bins.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 00:15:50 »

the temptation to not repair must be bigger than usual this time??
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 05:51:05 »

With no spare HST (High Speed Train) power cars in the UK (United Kingdom), I'm sure this one will be repaired.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 06:59:03 »

With no spare HST (High Speed Train) power cars in the UK (United Kingdom), I'm sure this one will be repaired.

These comments reminded me of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_52

4 October 1976 (Stoke Canon, Exeter). No. 1001 Western Pathfinder was working an overnight parcels train from London Paddington to Penzance when the train was in collision with a workers van at a level crossing. One workman in the van died in the accident. The locomotive was removed to Exeter St Davids depot. Despite sustaining relatively minor damage, the imminent demise of the entire fleet of Class 52's resulted in condemnation of the locomotive. Up to this point, Western Pathfinder had been a serious contender for preservation.

But I rather suspect we will see both 43160 and 150219 back in full service; a 2017 or 2018 incident may have been a different story.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 08:09:23 »

I thought the same as you when I read the report that was a sad day I saw D1001 later on at Swindon Works and thought that she was only lightly damaged.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 10:01:34 »

What will the temporary solution to having a powercar out of action be?  And would that solution be acceptable for a little bit longer until the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) come onto stream?   
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: