Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:34:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Electricity - an ongoing technical discussion  (Read 23514 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 17:40:27 »

I think storage of surplus wind energy is on the list, right after we have cracked fusion power (under research since 1920, jam promised tomorrow many times).

According to Mystic Squirrel, the infernal combustion engine as a power source for road vehicles will be more-or-less dead in 20 years*. That means that quite soon there'll be a lot of surplus 8 to 10-year-old lithium-ion car batteries that have lost 30-40% of their capacity which, by definition still have 60 to 70% of their capacity - which is a lot. Grid storage, anyone? Plus all those electric cars plugged in to the mains could be used for grid storage too. And what about all those cars in station car parks?.

* Flight of fancy? Maybe. Maybe not.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 17:55:26 »

... Grid storage, anyone? Plus all those electric cars plugged in to the mains could be used for grid storage too. And what about all those cars in station car parks? ....

Oh, researchers looking at system planning have indeed been casting envious eyes at all that on-line storage. But that's several steps ahead. For a start, the electronics isn't designed to push power backtheway.

So a first step would be to time the charging of all plug-ins (hybrid or pure electric) to when the power is most available. Currently most of them (few though they are) are plugged in immediately on getting home from work, so as to nicely overlap with the day's peak demand. As no-one has yet (AFAIK (as far as I know)) provided any incenitve for people to shift this to overnight, we don't even know how willing they would be to do it.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 17:59:49 »

AIUI (as I understand it) (which is far less than other people who have already posted) 50Hz is the frequency used throughout Europe, including Russia, and North Africa, regardless of local distribution voltages, precisely so that the voles, anbarons and electric toads can be shunted across borders.

North America is 60 Hz

50 cycles is indeed the standard virtually throughout Europe, and does to an extent facilitate interconnection between neighbouring countries. There are however practical problems in interconnecting too large a geographical area and also problems in the operation of AC transmission lines of more than a few hundred miles.

Therefore many international interconnectors are in fact DC (Direct Current). The UK (United Kingdom) has interconnectors to France and to Holland, and others are planned. These all use DC thereby avoiding any need to synchronise the UK and continental systems despite both working at 50 cycles.

UK grid data may found via the link below, showing frequency, total load, import/export flows and from what sources electricity is being generated.

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

There are other reasons for using DC cables as interconnectors, inductive and capacitive reactance is not a issue with DC as it is with AC; with AC you need to insulate to the peak Voltage and not the normally stated RMS value therefore the insulation at 400kV AC is greater than 400kV DC.  With DC you only need 2 conductors + and - with AC you need , DC systems do not need an earth reference AC requires an earth reference to discharge the induce and capacitive voltages, DC interconnector still needs to be monitored for first earth fault though

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 18:02:40 »

As no-one has yet (AFAIK (as far as I know)) provided any incenitve for people to shift this to overnight, we don't even know how willing they would be to do it.

Not quite true - good old Economy 7 is an incentive, isn't it? That's why the neo-clarksonites can claim with some justification that electric cars get their juice from fossil fuels, as these power stations seem to like working nights.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 18:09:36 »

So a first step would be to time the charging of all plug-ins (hybrid or pure electric) to when the power is most available. Currently most of them (few though they are) are plugged in immediately on getting home from work, so as to nicely overlap with the day's peak demand. As no-one has yet (AFAIK (as far as I know)) provided any incenitve for people to shift this to overnight, we don't even know how willing they would be to do it.

Economy 7! I don't think it would be worth changing to that just for one car, though. I have heard plans to encourage us to put the washing machine and other appliances on before going to bed when we get smart meters, which sounds dumb to me. I'll put all my lights on instead - they are quieter.

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 18:10:57 »

As no-one has yet (AFAIK (as far as I know)) provided any incenitve for people to shift this to overnight, we don't even know how willing they would be to do it.

Not quite true - good old Economy 7 is an incentive, isn't it? That's why the neo-clarksonites can claim with some justification that electric cars get their juice from fossil fuels, as these power stations seem to like working nights.

By "this" I meant charging cars. But where Economy-7 survives I guess it would by a first step, at least if it's the real thing (i.e. all usage gets the night rate). But I though there was not much still in place, and are any new ones being put in?
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 18:20:14 »

* Flight of fancy? Maybe. Maybe not.

The subject of that piece is Elon Musk, whose company SpaceX accomplished the major feat of landing the spent first stage of a Falcon rocket on a barge in the ocean. He said before then that the space transport business was less technologically challenging than the electric cars.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 19:12:50 »

Aye. Ee's a birruvua lad, our Elon.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 20:05:46 »

...where Economy-7 survives... ...are any new ones being put in?

Interesting question, which set me off a-googling. My understanding from this is that the major suppiers do still offer Economy 7 tariffs, though they don't tend to advertise them. But there is a debate among the (growing!) EV community as to whether you should use dirty overnight fossil-generated power, or that which comes from your PVs during the day...

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 21:05:49 »

Economy 7! I don't think it would be worth changing to that just for one car, though. I have heard plans to encourage us to put the washing machine and other appliances on before going to bed when we get smart meters, which sounds dumb to me. I'll put all my lights on instead - they are quieter.

This would definitely be against the advice of the fire service.  If you have ever been woken in the middle of the night by a domestic appliance fire you would follow that advice!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 21:11:06 »

I used to live in a second floor flat, and I received some adverse comment from my neighbours downstairs when I put my washing machine on during the economy 7 timeframe.  Tongue Roll Eyes Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 21:19:01 »

...where Economy-7 survives... ...are any new ones being put in?

Interesting question, which set me off a-googling. My understanding from this is that the major suppiers do still offer Economy 7 tariffs, though they don't tend to advertise them. But there is a debate among the (growing!) EV community as to whether you should use dirty overnight fossil-generated power, or that which comes from your PVs during the day...

Maybe what I said is now a bit out of date. BG (Brake Gangway (carriage)) for one offer an off-peak rate if you are prepared to have a smart meter (or already have one - of the right kind). Ecotricity, on the other hand, don't. But of course peak loading isn't inherently an energy supplier's issue, is it?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 21:56:42 »

However Ecotricity offer 1,000 miles' worth of electricity per year to registered EV/PHEV owners (or over 2,000 if you're on their Economy 7 tariff). Which sounds pretty generous until you realise that that's only forty quid.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2016, 22:19:49 »

On the other hand, I now live in a detached house, with a dishwasher and washing machine positioned on the solid concrete ground floor - so I still tend to put them on overnight.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2016, 22:29:05 »

On the other hand, I now live in a detached house, with a dishwasher and washing machine positioned on the solid concrete ground floor - so I still tend to put them on overnight.  Wink Cheesy Grin

Solid ground floor did not make any difference. Still could have killed us, ^50k insurance claim and 4 months without a kitchen. 

Oh and I know of at least one other person who has had the same experience. 

If you are asleep you are in more danger as you are absolutely relying on a smoke alarm to wake you.  At least if you are awake you have a better chance. Fire service were very clear in their advice never to leave washing machines, dishwashers and tumble driers on while you are asleep and not while you are out.  Some tenancy agreements also place liability on tenant if such an appliance is left on while unattended. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: