24/04/24 00:31 London Paddington to Oxford
Delayed
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 00:03:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Person hit by train near Aldermaston 27/04/16  (Read 7858 times)
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2016, 09:05:43 »

I wasn't planning rail travel today, but a lot of disruption for those that were....and extra traffic on the roads from what I saw between Newbury and Reading. According to local news (BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Berks) incident happened at about 0630 this morning.

The site appears to be a pedestrian crossing to the east of Aldermaston (near the Holiday Inn at Padworth for those that know the area). Lots of emergency services on site as I passed at about 0800 this morning.

Thoughts as always with all those affected and having to deal with the incident.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 09:06:33 »

This has been on the local news and my thoughts go to everyone affected.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/reading-berkshire-news/rail-services-delayed-after-person-11247767

Not sure where/when that photo was taken but it doesn't look like the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) line
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 09:31:03 »

I wasn't planning rail travel today, but a lot of disruption for those that were....and extra traffic on the roads from what I saw between Newbury and Reading. According to local news (BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Berks) incident happened at about 0630 this morning.

The site appears to be a pedestrian crossing to the east of Aldermaston (near the Holiday Inn at Padworth for those that know the area). Lots of emergency services on site as I passed at about 0800 this morning.

Thoughts as always with all those affected and having to deal with the incident.

If it is where I think it is TC(resolve) that will be about .5 miles west of the Ufton Nervet crossing.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 09:35:21 »

Two topics were started within 45 seconds of each other, so I have merged them here.

The location was indeed the foot crossing at Padworth.  

Several long distance trains from the West have been diverted via Westbury or Bristol.  Some calling at Swindon to provide a bus connection to Pewsey.

However no commuter trains through the Kennet Valley but a limited amount of road transport in place.

Lines reopened shortly before 9am.

However now, sadly, another incident at Abbotswood Junction near Cheltenham.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 09:38:22 »

If it is where I think it is TC(resolve) that will be about .5 miles west of the Ufton Nervet crossing.

For the record it is actually just before the previous level crossing at Towney.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 09:45:23 »

For the record it is actually just before the previous level crossing at Towney.

Thanks bobm - I didn't realise there was another LC (Level Crossing) east of Aldermaston before Ufton Nervet - maybe I have my eyes closed at that point!
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 10:56:08 »

I didn't realise there was another LC (Level Crossing) east of Aldermaston before Ufton Nervet

Same here BB, I'm not aware of any LC's (I assume that means lights/barriers etc) between Midgham and Ufton Nervet.

Is bobm saying that Towney was an LC that no longer exists?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 11:38:13 »

I didn't realise there was another LC (Level Crossing) east of Aldermaston before Ufton Nervet

Same here BB, I'm not aware of any LC's (I assume that means lights/barriers etc) between Midgham and Ufton Nervet.

Is bobm saying that Towney was an LC that no longer exists?

No, no barriers - it's a gated user-worked crossing on the track leading to Towney bridge and lock.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 12:52:19 »

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/reading-berkshire-news/rail-services-delayed-after-person-11247767

Not sure where/when that photo was taken but it doesn't look like the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) line

Newport
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 13:21:51 »

Newport

When I saw the background and the DIS board showing the Westbound service it looks like the backround is the tunnels to the west of the station so the  HST (High Speed Train) would be London bound
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 15:12:15 »

Platform 2 at Newport with the HST (High Speed Train) heading west arriving from Bristol Parkway, the picture is facing East with Platform 1 seen just behind the HST on the right
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 15:24:00 »

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/reading-berkshire-news/man-dies-after-being-hit-11250482

GetReading have changed the picture to a little closer to home, Tilehurst now
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 16:42:18 »

No, no barriers - it's a gated user-worked crossing on the track leading to Towney bridge and lock

Well, you learn something every day.

Will be on the rails tomorrow so will look out for it....thanks.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: