16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 15:56:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[269] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[101] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[44] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[41] Signage - not making it easy ...
[8] IETs at Melksham
[7] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Penalty Fares  (Read 24742 times)
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2023, 20:32:18 »

How do you buy an excess at an unmanned station, without a smartphone (assuming you can buy one with a smartphone). Or do I risk putting one foot on the train and ask the Guard/TM(resolve) for an excess?

Sorry but my cycle trips don't always run to the smooth pre-planning expected by the railway owners/operators.

The buy at first opportunity rule still aoplies i think

I would think so.  My standard practice and advice for passengers cannot buy the ticket they want at the station is to tell the train manager on the platform and ask if he will sell them a ticket. (And that could be modified to "I cannot excess it at the machine).  I doubt you would have a problem.   Do not board the train without comment and go straight into the loo if you do not have a ticket!

That seems slightly unrealistic. You have no idea which carriage the train manager will be in, and when they appear, they will not want to hang around the platform while you make your way towards them rather than boarding at the nearest door (which is what they usually ask people to do if they see anyone not getting on straight away).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2023, 20:36:54 »

Hmmm. If they are asking you to join a train, you can see them, right?

Other than a 9/10 car IET (Intercity Express Train), how long is your train?

They are quite easy to see from the platform as they are meant to step onto it to check that everyone is clear/on board.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2023, 20:37:17 »

Especially as with a bike you're normally expected to board in a certain carriage, which may or may not be where the train manager is. In practice I find the TM(resolve) almost always comes through twice, and only asks for tickets on the second pass; so I stop them the first time I see them and ask for a ticket. They usually say they'll come back in a few minutes...

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2023, 20:58:05 »

It makes sense if you can.  Where it's a 2 carriage train, it's usually practical, as it is at the likes of Avoncliff.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2023, 21:07:16 »

Hmmm. If they are asking you to join a train, you can see them, right?

Other than a 9/10 car IET (Intercity Express Train), how long is your train?

They are quite easy to see from the platform as they are meant to step onto it to check that everyone is clear/on board.

They can be 4 carriages. With severe arthritis, which I now have, it would take me a minute to walk that distance along the platform. I have often seen them shouting down for people to board quickly when they see someone starting to walk towards them.
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2023, 22:31:56 »

They can be 4 carriages. With severe arthritis, which I now have, it would take me a minute to walk that distance along the platform. I have often seen them shouting down for people to board quickly when they see someone starting to walk towards them.

You'll be fine so long as you try to engage if you have the chance, as mentioned by others. Just don't immediately fall asleep or put headphones on and look intently out of the window as an opportunity to buy a ticket walks by.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2023, 11:24:16 »

Thank you for your comments.

The place where I tend to "run out of steam" or the weather catches me out is in Southern territory.

The train staff tend to give the impression of either not knowing what an excess is, or it is too difficult and just charge you for a single fair.The last time it happened there was a switched on train manager, but gosh it seems complicated, takes a number from your card ticket and has to wait while the machine finds the correct information. I now know that in this particular situation the excess is £0.00, and he did not issue me a ticket. If I am in this situation again I should get a ticket because the trains joins another one and there is a crew change.

To those who make the not unreasonable suggestion of getting one before I start, knowing the "cost" of it now, my thought would be a psychological pre-admission of failure. Especially if I am cycling north as the worst bit is yet to come.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2023, 16:40:40 »

I'd be interested to know officially whether a penalty fare could be issued under the regulations where the ticket might not be valid without an excess, but the excess is zero. There is no loss, and therefore you can't be accused of swindling money from the railways.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2023, 19:05:06 »

Also, note right at the bottom - XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and TfW services are excluded from the scheme.

Good start by National Rail - their web page here on thye 'new' Penalty Fare *includes* TfW services - where that poster clearly excludes them. I think that poster is correct & the web page is wrong.

Also, on that web page is the link to the amended legislation. For example, if the appeal isn't resolved within a set time period, you are absolved from paying the fine, but not the fare. Interesting reading.
Sleepy

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2023, 18:14:26 »

Shocked St Ives (and for that matter Barnstaple & Okehampton) are Interesting additions to penalty fare area - if the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)'s don't accept cash you could have one passenger wanting to pay by cash being sold a ticket and the one behind paying by card receives a penalty fare ??
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2023, 19:49:29 »

Shocked St Ives (and for that matter Barnstaple & Okehampton) are Interesting additions to penalty fare area - if the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)'s don't accept cash you could have one passenger wanting to pay by cash being sold a ticket and the one behind paying by card receives a penalty fare ??

Well yes. The latter has chosen to not purchase at the earliest opportunity.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Sleepy

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2023, 19:59:16 »

Don't think average non-regular rail traveller tourists going for scenic ride to Carbis Bay (£2.00 return) or St Erth (£4 return) will be too impressed being asked to fork out £50 !!! Daily Mail would be thrilled to report this.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2023, 20:02:14 »

£102 or £104, reduced to £52/£54 if paid within 14 days....
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2023, 20:40:57 »

£102 or £104, reduced to £52/£54 if paid within 14 days....

It's £100 / £50 plus SINGLE fare, so £101 / £103 / £51 / £53 but if you're doing a day return you also need to buy your ticket the other way.

But noting from 2018
It's now illegal to charge an additional fee for paying by credit or debit card ...
how do the TOCs (Train Operating Company) stand when a passenger from St Ives to (well, anywhere) asks to pay on the train stand with the legality of their penalty fares - £1 to Carbis Bay in cash, but £51 or £101 if you pay be card which is an additional fee if you pay by card.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2023, 20:53:55 »

It's not an additional card fee - it's a fine as the owner hasn't bought a ticket at the card-only ticket machine
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: